So maybe I have a few spare minutes a weekend and wanted to do some builds for myself.

What about a SG respin. Something less Gibson and more modern. 

It won't be like before as I am no longer "in business" just finally gotten back into playing and have a lot of wood in the old garage.

IMG_20170813_124735036_zps0swj6lzp.jpg

Neck took me forever to figure out.  I started out trying to make an old neck work... that went south I should have burned it when I had the chance.

I didn't have a piece of sapele big enough for a neck and headstock but I had 3 sets of sapele runners on the shelf. So i sacrificed one to be the headstocks for two neck blanks. I will get to the other one later. For now I am only building one at a time. This is supposed to be fun. 

I went with Sapele runners and I had a almost useless piece of ebony that was basically scrap. If you have ever followed my threads you know I don't like scraps. So I managed to sand it on the drum sander into to lams for the neck. Since this is an SG I am using Limba for the center laminate. Maple just doesn't seem SG like so we are staying with Ebony and Mahogany variants.

IMG_20170813_124337428_zpskgdtuhx4.jpgIMG_20170813_124656594_zps0jakpqo0.jpg

Now it has been a few years since I have glued a guitar neck up so I had to remember wtf I was supposed to do. I went with west systems epoxy because the ebony had a few minor cracks in it near the ends.  Also means I don't need to clamp it too tight. 

IMG_20170813_132156930_zpswab9q4i8.jpg

IMG_20170813_132151000_zpsdubnp9b0.jpg

18 hours ago, ScottR said:

:D

I've missed you buddy. You are a whole lotta beers behind.

SR

Yup. I plan to catch up. Missed you guys as well. Not going to be able to have the forum open all the time like I used to but I plan to check in daily for a while.

2 minutes ago, Mr Natural said:

Welcome back RAD. I took a few years off as well. there are a few old timers popping back in now and again- good to see you back. 

Good to be back. Building guitars is soooo much more rewarding than building furniture. Seems like I have built a lot of furniture and shelves the past few years. Finally finished with most of the house updates so I now get a few minutes to myself...

23 hours ago, curtisa said:

Hiya Brett, welcome back to the madhouse! We've kept your barstool free since you've been out.

Ha ha ha. Like I never left. 

2 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Just been having a look at some of your previous builds.  No wonder everyone round here seems to be excited to see you back :D

Now, you must PROMISE me not to enter any Guitar of the Month until I've won it myself at least once.... ;)

:lol:

You probably have until December. 

The last time I built an SG... fraught with peril?

You've been showcasing those wooden clamps (can't think of what they are called) quite a bit so far. While I've seen you use them before, I mostly remember Irwins, Cs, Fs, and bars, and even a vise every once in a while. Did you break these out to take advantage of the surface area of the jaws or were they just within reach? 

I have some that I use when I need a longer reach, but find them tricky to get even pressure. And I always am tempted to grab a pair of channel locks to grip the handle for that last turn of additional pressure.

SR

4 hours ago, ScottR said:

You've been showcasing those wooden clamps (can't think of what they are called) quite a bit so far. While I've seen you use them before, I mostly remember Irwins, Cs, Fs, and bars, and even a vise every once in a while. Did you break these out to take advantage of the surface area of the jaws or were they just within reach? 

I have some that I use when I need a longer reach, but find them tricky to get even pressure. And I always am tempted to grab a pair of channel locks to grip the handle for that last turn of additional pressure.

SR

I grabbed them cause I was using epoxy and didn't need to crush the joint  to the point of starvation. I use the 4inch on the scarf because I can really control the pressure and they don't slip or move when tightening.

The good thing about Handscrew Clamps is that you can't really over tighten them by hand. So you don't starve the joint. If you put a pair of channel locks on them you defeat that.

Getting even pressure with them is all about the pre glue mock up.  Adjust the back of the clamp to be the same space as the items you are clamping. Then adjust the front to match so the jaws are parallel. Back off a half turn and apply your glue, line up and get ready to clamp.

Next is the tricky judgement call. Tighten the front to squeeze out the glue. Clean up a bit. Then spread the back of the clamp to really tighten the pressure. I usually only use the first 1 or 1.5inches of the jaws on the material depending on the size of the clamp.

The big 12in can really clamp. The 4inch are safe for delicate stuff.

All my old Irwin quick clamps are so worn out I can't use them for structural glue ups anymore.