Mr_Riddlers build thread

wait, so crackle finish is going on that poplar top? (which is awesome btw) I guess you were referring to that other one? 

espen.de - I don't think I bought from them yet, or maybe once .. but once I start stocking up for the next round of builds I'll probably go with them, they appear to have all the things that I'll be needing, good to hear you can recommend them

34 minutes ago, pan_kara said:

wait, so crackle finish is going on that poplar top? (which is awesome btw) I guess you were referring to that other one? 

espen.de - I don't think I bought from them yet, or maybe once .. but once I start stocking up for the next round of builds I'll probably go with them, they appear to have all the things that I'll be needing, good to hear you can recommend them

Crackle finish is going on that poplar burl, but just on the carved edges, The idea is to have the yellow stain visibe thru the black carvings. 

Yeah espen.de got some really nice stuff :D 

42 minutes ago, ScottR said:

Wow.

For some reason a giant carrion spider comes to mind....:blink:

Would it be useful to tape up the outer edges leaving a lip to create a sort dam for the resin?

SR

Nah, tried that on the Troncaster while doing the binding stuff. It seeps thru after a while anyway and with carvings it would be really messy and a lot of rework on the edges. Second layer seems to stick around better. If some voids remains I just fill them up with .CA, going to level the top before laquer anyway. 

What do you call it? I've know it as "Masur Birch", but most commonly "Karelian Birch". Locally it's Visakoivu. This reminds me, I have a couple of boards to send out to @Andyjr1515....

That piece definitely looks more like Karelian Birch anyway. The brown lines are a distinctive aspect. Sometimes Birch comes with spears on the barks which express either as birdseyes or odd bits like this. Did you buy it as-is or do you have more?

I get ahold of it seldom, and my older sources have dried up. I know of a guy in Sastamala (about an hour's drive from here) who has hundreds of sheets of veneer and possibly some hard stock. The difficulty that I have found is that the trees this type of wood is found in tend to grow small and gnarly, meaning very small pieces in the yield, uneven grain direction and generally narrow radius growth rings. I'd regard the dry pieces I have on stock as being a little too unstable for a fingerboard. Body tops, sure. I'll have a quick check to see if I have anything which might be suitable for your needs, however mine isn't as good as what you'd get commercially.

I think I recall @verhoevenc having found some really crazy stuff online a while back. Probably the best hard stock I have ever seen, plus @Andyjr1515 used some veneer which was ten levels crazier still.

14 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Not sure about stain. Maybe a toner in a clear. Birch can be pretty blotchy as well.

Damn, I don't have any scrap pieces so I can't do any tests before going maniac on this fretboard. Maybe I will do one very dilutet stain that is easily sanded off, if it turns out terrible.