Mr_Riddlers build thread

I'll see if I have any small pieces with a similar cut and figure to mail across the pond. Ping me an email and I'll see whether postage is crucifyingly expensive or not. I think you need to test any potential finish on that board than take chances. Have you got the patience to wait for the post to yield gifts?

14 hours ago, ScottR said:

Man, you've got some artistic skills and talents on display here. Your builds have always been great so I shouldn't be surprised.

That's a very nice carving and nicely shaded with stain to add depth. Very impressive! Have you used that epoxyresin to hold frets before?

SR

Thank you for the kind words! 

Never tried the resin to hold down frets, but I think it's possible. 

the resin turns rock hard when cured, hard as CA or even harder. The downside is the curing time of 24h so I don't see the point of using it for frets or am I missing something? 

6 hours ago, Mr_Riddler said:

Never tried the resin to hold down frets, but I think it's possible. 

the resin turns rock hard when cured, hard as CA or even harder. The downside is the curing time of 24h so I don't see the point of using it for frets or am I missing something?

I was thinking that when you re-slot the area of your carving / inlay there will be areas where the fret tang will be pressed into the resin only...or so it appears to me from the picture. I was just curious as to whether the resin would hold the tang in the same manner as the wood. I expect it will, but I got curious and asked.:) (I do that often).

SR

2 hours ago, ScottR said:

I was thinking that when you re-slot the area of your carving / inlay there will be areas where the fret tang will be pressed into the resin only...or so it appears to me from the picture. I was just curious as to whether the resin would hold the tang in the same manner as the wood. I expect it will, but I got curious and asked.:) (I do that often).

SR

Ah! I see what you mean, don't think that would be an issue, but will add some drops of CA just to be on the safe side. 

• 4 weeks later...

Been kind of slow work the last couple of weeks. A lot of snow and really cold weather don't really get you to excited to work in an unheated shop. But I have managed to get some progress done. Here is a little sneak peak of the progress hopefully I can add some more pictures of it during the week. 

20180305_211709.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks, I need to redo some parts of the crackle because it didn't crackle as much as I wanted thank God it's really easy, just need an exactoblade and rip it of like plastic sheets. 

It does remind me of the Etna build also! That build is one of the nicest I have seen on this site 😁

It's the ideas that take two disparate concepts and unify them in a smart or artistic way that catch my eye. One that always stuck in my mind was a gold (leaf I think) finished Ibanez Sabre style body with a clear and black swirl over the top. This is many many years back now, however the execution on that was something else. I normally dislike either method on a personal level, but brought together they made something more than the sum of the parts.

Filled and stained burl top? Normal.
Crackle paint? Normal.

Both? Hell yeah. Just hell. Yeah. Literally.

Thanks guys glad to hear that you like it. As promised some more pictures how it looks at the moment.

Just got the neck glued in but got some sanding and stuff left. The neck is Swedish oak and padauk. But unfortunately it got an aesthetic issue. Didn't do that much thinking when cutting the pieces for it and the centre piece is a little to wide. Which made the padauk peak out on one side when cutting the taper. It Bothers me a alot but it's an easy fix, will just paint the neck solid orange and red and of course add a crackle finish to that as well. 

20180312_191924.jpg

20180312_185744.jpg

20180312_212117.jpg

• Like 3

A peculiar thing happened to me this morning,
Just as I reached into my pocket to find it empty of any sow,
I saw two broken twigs on the ground
Shaped like the Greek letters F and S.
F and S, Helium, F, and S
These are the chemical symbols for iron and sulphur
It was a sign, I am sure, for me to make gold out of these two elements
I have been working all day
Over these hellish flames.......

No wonder it's taken all day if he didn't identify F as flourine.....

• Haha 1

That's the whole reason Stuart Semple produced Black 2.0; Vantablack was made available to one artist only (Anish Kapoor) and not to anybody else. Stuart explicitly does the same with Black 2.0 in that it is legally only available to sale to anybody that isn't Anish Kapoor.