Mr_Riddlers build thread

Hi all,

Long time since I posted something here been busy with the house and expanding my workshop. Almost finished with the workshop but could help myself from starting some builds.

First guitar from left is a mahogany body and will getting a poplar top, sycamore neck and Swedish birch fretboard.

Second guitar is kinda advanced one with a Swedish alder body and carbon fibre top, sycamore with ebony fretboard. This build is inspired by the movie "Tron" and will have a lot of inlays on body and fretboard when done. 

Third build is also Swedish alder body with sycamore neck and ebony fretboard. This will have a crackled black finish with flouroscent green underneath when done.

20170809_200037.jpg

20170812_185532.jpg

20170818_231252.jpg

20170808_203146.jpg

20170811_201943.jpg

2 hours ago, ScottR said:

That is impressive. When I first looked at that, I thought of a wiring channel for illuminated dots. Inlay never occurred to me, and I guess I ignored the fret slots.:P

SR

Thanks, well the fret slots were just marked up about 0,5mm deep on the first pic so maybe thats why :D

44 minutes ago, ScottR said:

Whoa. Now that is just the perfect top for that shape! That's pure wicked.

What colors do you have in mind for that.?

SR

Yeah! didn't expect that quilt in the middle, So that was a pleasant surprise. 

Haven't decided on what colors yet but my head keeps saying, a deep red tone, some orange/yellow and of course pitch black. Don't know if I should stain the burst first or if i should throw together some batches with coloured epoxy resin, only time will tell :D

Yes that's the poplar top. Will definitely be a challange to carve, that burl got alot of holes and dents also a very soft, It just kept throwing chunks at me while doing the routing. Used my angle grinder to shape it up quickly (yeah i cheated a bit there ;) ) 

but will do the rest and final touches with chisels.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Mr_Riddler said:

Yeah, that blue resin looks nice against the black carbon fibre and it looks really cool when it glows in the dark. But it's kinda hard to get any good pictures of that. 

Hardest part about building guitars is taking good pictures of them ;)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mr_Riddler said:

Yes that's true, it's usually the hardest part of the build. I try to take pictures outside in daylight if the weather allows it. Usually it generates one or two decent photos that you can use :) 

When doing final shots of a guitar I use a black background (black sheet set). I use sunlight whenever possible. If not I have a strong single source of diffused light.  I use a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens and a Tripod for all closeups.  

Sunlight is fantastically easy compared to setting up artificial sources. I also use that newer version of the classic 50mm lens, Brett. The 24mm f2.8 is a real go-to for such a small shop as this one though. The 50mm lens with a crop sensor is a bit too tight, but it does let a lot of light in if you need it to.

5 hours ago, RestorationAD said:

When doing final shots of a guitar I use a black background (black sheet set). I use sunlight whenever possible. If not I have a strong single source of diffused light.  I use a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens and a Tripod for all closeups.  

Sounds pretty advanced, Photos have never been my strong side, maybe I will hire someone for that part when these builds are done :)