Finished Pics! One for Me - No 2 of a Brace (2) of 6 string electrics

I was wondering how the electronics were going to fit in there. I had a friend try a 1.5 inch thick body (starting thickness)- but after sanding it came in around 1.3"- and he ended up having to put a thick control cavity cover and hollow out the inside of it- the flush control cavity hit the back of the switches and caused a ground/shorting issue with the emgs he had on there. 

looking forward to the finished product here Andy- I think the alembic style you did for Tim was your best axe to date. Hoping this surpasses that. :thumb:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mr Natural said:

I was wondering how the electronics were going to fit in there. I had a friend try a 1.5 inch thick body (starting thickness)- but after sanding it came in around 1.3"- and he ended up having to put a thick control cavity cover and hollow out the inside of it- the flush control cavity hit the back of the switches and caused a ground/shorting issue with the emgs he had on there. 

looking forward to the finished product here Andy- I think the alembic style you did for Tim was your best axe to date. Hoping this surpasses that. :thumb:

With the Switchcraft angled toggle and barrel jack arriving, I now am happy it's going to fit fine. 

The toggle switch is 21mm (and actually you could grind it down to shallower still) as compared with the short version of the standard toggle being more like 23mm.

I'm not a massive fan of barrel jacks but the Switchcraft ones are pretty reliable - and this will be super-accessible if ever it needs replacing :)

In the meantime, I've started the finishing using the Osmo Polyz 3011 Gloss for the body.

Whereas I have had great success with the satins and half-matts (and also the whitened RAW), in my first trial a while back I had some issues with the gloss, having a reaction and wrinkling with the second coat.  I suspected that it was me rather than the varnish so (probably adding the second coat a little too soon), as this one is for me, thought I'd try it again.  I have a low personal tolerance with any 'reactive' finishes, but the potential of the Osmo (especially as Ronseal have changed the formulation of their standard polyurethane varnishing that has made wiping-on problematic) is so great that is is worth persevering.

And so far so good. :D

This was the first coat last night:

_MG_4140.thumb.JPG.473d73bac4f1063c3f5717db163b0b33.JPG

...and this is the second coat today:

_MG_4146.thumb.JPG.bb2d5b2f69f21d74ed16538a0680f5cc.JPG

Both times just wiped on with a cheapo household micro-fibre cloth.

The neck will be finished with the satin version, slurry and buffed

I have high hopes :)

• Like 2

I'm probably at my final pre-coat.  I'll let this harden enough to be able to de-nib / flatten and then wipe on the final coats.

This is a decent time, therefore, to do the final build bits that might ding the finish.

Today is fitting the bridge.  I've still got to drill for the thru-body ferrules before I can string it up to fix the positions of the pickups, but couldn't resist a quick mock-up:

_MG_4152.thumb.JPG.9b7d84c19f8dec7db62870dc1a266b55.JPG

_MG_4161.thumb.JPG.22306c7751b0beb45baf8f7facfcd1d8.JPG

When I do the pickup positioning, I will check the look of black pickup rings and gold screws rather than the above (which would be gold rings with black screws) and see what looks best.  I suspect the black rings with gold screws might look the classier.

Next jobs are bridge ferrules and fret levelling.  I will drill the holes for the 3-way and toggles after the final gloss coats to reduce the possibility of dragging the Osmo unevenly across the holes.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Splintazert said:

Very nice. Think you are right about the black pickup surrounds, although the gold aren't out of place either.

Good call about drilling afterwards so the finish goes on more evenly.

Got the thru-holes done so I could line up things with a couple of strings threaded through.  I think ( :rolleyes: ) the slightly skewed look of the rings are camera lens bending (they measure correctly to the 22nd fret at least) but the black surround with gold screws have the edge, I think :

_MG_4173.thumb.JPG.6b6c22075c101e82dedc4d46d4389442.JPG

• Like 1

Those two definitely fell from the same tree. I agree with the black rings and think you also have a little optical illusion going on caused by the angled end of your fretboard.

Angles like that are always good to include so you have a built in response when the "optical illusions" kick in.

SR

• Like 2

Amazing how much time it takes to do the 'last couple of finish jobs' :rolleyes:

While the gloss isn't hard enough yet for polishing, it's perfectly hard enough for finishing off the build.  So yesterday saw electrics installed, bridge installed and magnets put on the control chamber and trussrod covers.

The electrics fit quite well - I sanded down the angled threeway to avoid a touch on the cover (although it would have only been grounding), but the rest are well clear:

_MG_4231.thumb.JPG.22ba7397b34572a19cb5bf1467465e81.JPG

For those eagle-eyed folks, I haven't put the couple of copper tabs on the cover rebate yet, which will ground the shielding on the back of the cover.

This is literally straight off the workbench.   I'll do the 'finished pics' once I've done a full polish and got a proper tone knob - and straightened up and glued the loose ferrules!

And it still has to be set up, etc..

But, visually, it's pretty much done.

_MG_4197.thumb.JPG.fd14d90744ee47064711da824d2fab76.JPG

_MG_4203.thumb.JPG.47ae241c738a8f671a255f9e249a44ff.JPG

_MG_4214.thumb.JPG.a1965e7d0e0ce1620ce4dbf9db4e09d6.JPG

_MG_4256.thumb.JPG.5f75d0bd4f9f57a6ce17f7d0412d7eb4.JPG

This shot probably illustrates one of the reasons I have been experimenting with using thin bodies and concave backs to reduce weight - certainly no problem with an intrusive neck heel here!

_MG_4240.thumb.JPG.dd8f546ac3f67637fe947d981337c9fe.JPG

It's not yet set up at all, but I have to say it plays pretty well straight off the bench.  The neck feels nice, but it is presently more Fender 'C' than my preferred soft 'V' - I will fettle this over the weekend to suit my playing style (I always do the last shaping once the strings are on and I can really feel how it plays).

It balances nicely on the strap - but is a little heavier than I was aiming for.  Pre the extra fettling and using heavy solid brass knobs (I'm on the lookout for some nice wooden ones, or, @Norris thinks I should make some using my drill press...might have a go at that), I'm coming in at over 5 3/4lbs, which is 3-4oz heavier than planned.  Not bad, though...

• Like 1

OK

Finished :)

Before the obligatory finished shots, a reminder of the two sister builds.

The shape is a 6-string electric version of the lightweight piccolo bass I made last year for our band's bassist, Pete:

_MG_1154.thumb.JPG.04e915de27ccf743e2c6a021c14a494a.JPG

The timbers, on the other hand, were the same as used on Tim's Alemicesque build completed a few months ago:

_MG_3591.thumb.JPG.a03114d3ae1a46e0225204381f74cb5e.JPG

And here is the one I've just finished :)  :

_MG_4268.thumb.JPG.5c1a1a094fc90d02b791b9923d068256.JPG

It's worked out a touch heavier than planned - it's just under 6lbs.  Replacing the brass knobs with wooden ones will get it down to 5 3/4 lbs although the target was 5 1/2 lbs.  BUT - it balances great, it plays really nicely and it sounds just how I'd hoped :)

As this one is for me - I'm a happy chappy :thumb:

Did the Osmo gloss work?  Not really.  Once I'm bored with playing it, I'll strip it down and do my normal poyurethane varnish.  It isn't the Osmo's fault - this way of applying it is NOT what it was designed for.  The Osmo satin works fantastically well (and that is what is on the neck), but the gloss is probably one abuse too far.

Anyway, the rest of the obligatory photos ;) :

_MG_4276.thumb.JPG.664d1f4c271b7bf195d0243a847a0719.JPG

_MG_4312.thumb.JPG.0d60ba53fe9f74cff3dd2f14b2abd9f4.JPG

_MG_4256.thumb.JPG.d23b487ff0d3124ac42558537f4f3594.JPG

_MG_4304.thumb.JPG.3de0e6d61a3352f0438468f962e8c7ee.JPG

_MG_4240.thumb.JPG.079a816acfe1367699bd5a487a4aa48f.JPG

_MG_4323.thumb.JPG.18e54bb6d0271e5a865688c37feff72b.JPG

By the way - if you're wondering what the extra strap button is doing on the back - that is part of my personal adjustments to carry on battling with the arthritis in my hands - it pulls the guitar a tad more vertical making it easier on the fretting wrist :rolleyes:

As always, folks, many thanks for the stupendous support - moral and educational - all the way through the build progress :)

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Did the Osmo gloss work?  Not really.  Once I'm bored with playing it, I'll strip it down and do my normal poyurethane varnish. 

Well, it looks stunning to me.

You do realize you are going to have to post up the obligatory shots again, after you refinish it. What's the problem with the Osmo gloss? Not enough gloss? It is not really evident in the pictures.

SR

10 minutes ago, ScottR said:

Well, it looks stunning to me.

You do realize you are going to have to post up the obligatory shots again, after you refinish it. What's the problem with the Osmo gloss? Not enough gloss? It is not really evident in the pictures.

SR

Yes - but I must stress again, this is not what the Osmo Glossy was intended for and nor was how it was intended to be applied.

Two problems with how I was using it and what I was trying to do with it. 

The first is that the adhesion of the top glossy coat to the previous coats is not great...but bear in mind it was a wipe-on application and a VERY thin final finish.  I will experiment putting on some test pieces much thicker brushed on coats then, when fully cured, see how it buffs.  I love the Osmo Satin so much, I'm sure it is worth persevering :)

The second is that, just like household acrylic white gloss is not the same gloss level as oil-based gloss white, this is still a perceivably glossy satin rather than a glossy gloss.  OK, this is MUCH better than bog-standard acrylic gloss decorating paints...but not quite the same as a high VOC traditional gloss polyurethane varnish.

5 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

_MG_4276.thumb.JPG.664d1f4c271b7bf195d0243a847a0719.JPG

...And if you ever need a bit of rest after rocking out a bit too hard, you can just flip it over and use it as a chair to park your arse upon.

Stellar job once again, Andy. I must stop by ( :rolleyes: ) one day and have a go on some of these creations of yours.

So what do all the switchy-knobby bits do? There a few more there than what I've seen you use recently.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, curtisa said:

...And if you ever need a bit of rest after rocking out a bit too hard, you can just flip it over and use it as a chair to park your arse upon.

Stellar job once again, Andy. I must stop by ( :rolleyes: ) one day and have a go on some of these creations of yours.

So what do all the switchy-knobby bits do? There a few more there than what I've seen you use recently.

It's pretty standard stuff, to be honest.  3 way switch, volume for each of the neck and bridge but with a common tone.  Then the two mini toggles are just split coil for each pick up.  Often I would use a push-push on the volume for that, but the chamber is too shallow.  I actually prefer toggles because you always know what position they are in :)

The great thing about building your own guitars is that you lose the fear of changing things :D

A couple of times, friends have gone pale - after agreeing with me that something might be maybe shaped a little differently - when I immediately get out the rasp file and hack into the gleaming beauty, there and then.  "Something like that?" I ask, as they sway from the shock.

Well - I'm just about to do the same here.  Having played this myself over a couple of days, and having just watched someone whose objective opinion I greatly respect play it, I'm going to get the micro-plane rasps out tomorrow and create some sawdust! :hyper

This is what it looks like at the moment:
_MG_4270.thumb.JPG.f319d792109427c25b011b3b073f6683.JPG

And this is what I think it should look like:
5a69f2e3c3450__MG_4270BodyVariation1.thumb.jpg.83413d56afe75a9426aac835d25f63f5.jpg

Yes - it's subtle but I think it will make a big difference to the playability.

In summary -

• Slightly deeper cutout at the top horn.  The contact I watched play is - a bit like me - a lazy-thumb player.  That is, his thumb stays in the 'wrap-round' position even when he's playing the higher frets.  And when he's playing the highest frets, he anchors his thumb round the cutout.  In terms of my own playing (I rarely venture that high playing lead...makes my nose bleed) there is one number where I have to play barre chords with a capo on the 8th fret.  It is possible with this guitar as is, but it would be a lot more comfortable with another cm of hand space :)
  • Slightly deeper cutout on bottom horn.  No real benefit to me, but same logic to a 'proper' lead player
  • Slightly further rearward lower waist.  This guitar, as is, is GREAT on the strap...but, for me, it's just not quite right played over the knee.  I was interested to see exactly the same when my contact played it

It will only take 1/2hr to make the changes, but it will then, of course, need refinishing.  But that itself is an opportunity because I'm going to give the Gloss version of the Osmo one more go - but applied closer to how it is supposed to be applied than how it's been applied above.

This, of course, means a complete strip-down but what the heck - what else am I going to do in the evenings?! ;)

Oh...just to add.  My contact runs a very successful guitar and music shop and - with me allowing maybe a smidgin of smugness to creep in - I feel obliged to mention that he loved the neck profile and feel.  Took a while to get my swollen head through the shop door back onto the street  :lol:

I think I'll like the refinements to the shape as well. And I'm looking forward to seeing how the Osmo come out this time.

Do you find yourself with a mild sense of panic when you are between projects? I'm familiar with that sensation as well. After spending months of looking forward to the next step, it is a bit dizzying to realize there is no next step.

SR

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ScottR said:

I think I'll like the refinements to the shape as well. And I'm looking forward to seeing how the Osmo come out this time.

Do you find yourself with a mild sense of panic when you are between projects? I'm familiar with that sensation as well. After spending months of looking forward to the next step, it is a bit dizzying to realize there is no next step.

SR

I know what you mean @ScottR :lol:

Having said that, I'm enjoying the break.  I've still got some refurbs and so on on the go but full projects are a bit all-consuming - and the rest of life probably needs a bit of time and attention for  a change.  Not for too long, mind you ;)

• Like 1

[Slow-motion dives across the room while Samuel Barber's 'Adagio for Strings' plays in the background]

Nooooooooo, Annnnnnndeeeeeeee!!!

6 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

This, of course, means a complete strip-down but what the heck - what else am I going to do in the evenings?! ;)

Oh, I dunno. Have a nice cup of tea? Play a round of Scrabble? Read the Sunday Times? Watch the latest episode of Midsomer Murders?

Seriously though, the refinements you're proposing still look like they fit perfectly with the overall package. All I can say is that you're braver than me for going to those lengths having only just completed the guitar. To be honest, based on the MSPaint-ified blackening you'd applied to the pic, I initially thought you were wanting to add bevelled contours to the lower bout and treble cutaway.

• Haha 1