Wood Selection (or usage)

luvsawdust

Hey all,

I'm new here. A little background about me-I'm a professional furniture maker, been doing it 20 years as a career, longer as a hobby. I build custom residential pieces and the occasional commercial project. I've been playing guitar since I was 10, or 35 years. I built my first steel string acoustic, an OM sized EI Rosewood and Sitka about 10 years ago. It became my go to guitar, I even sold my Martin D40 after letting it languish in the case for a few years. I started another almost immediately after, another OM but mottled makore and lutz spruce. Need to finish that up.

Anyway. An old shop mate, very talented woodworker and a great picker as well passed away last year. I helped his family clean out his shop, sell equipment etc. I was given some great wood from his stash, including this killer chunk of big leaf maple burl. It so happens to be about perfect size for a one piece guitar body. It's about 2" thick. I know most carved top Les Paul's and PRS and the like are only topped with the fancy maple. Would I be totally nuts to just use it as is? Or should I resaw it in half and make two? I'm heading in the direction of a double cutaway Les Paul Jr, I think. Would it be too heavy? There is some wane on the back, which is really cool and curly, as well as a void right in the center to think about if resawing it.

I think building a really sweet guitar from this wood would be a fitting tribute to Ross. I look forward to spending my free time this winter on it. Would love to hear input and suggestions.

Thanks

Jason

bigleaf1.jpg

bigleaf2.jpg

bigleaf3.jpg

• 1 month later...

I suppose that glueing the top up to the blank prior to resawing is impractical? I just dove in here and have done zero thought on what is being aimed for....let me re-read.

Yep, I totally made up my mind before I read properly. :unsure:

Okay. No, you would not be nuts to use it as-is. You'd be nuts to go putting the piece in a position where it's at risk! A one-piece burl body reminds me of one of Perry Ormsby's early builds from back in the day. It might be this one (I'm sure there's a build thread here with dead images....):

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose that glueing the top up to the blank prior to resawing is impractical? I just dove in here and have done zero thought on what is being aimed for....let me re-read.

I don't think that is a bad idea at all. Sandwich the maple between two pieces of stable mahogany then resaw down the middle of the maple.