Second Build: Offset Tele

Mike.Mara

• 3 weeks later...

Progress! Well, some at least...

Turns out my less-than-organised workshop has finally bitten me in the ass. I lost my bottom guided bearing bit, so the body is only half-routed.

Ohh well, I'll just have to wait for another to arrive, and then clean and organise.

Anyways, on to the progress.

Template CNC'd, came out just about perfect! And choosing to engrave a centre line this time was the right choice, no faffing around with calipers and a steel rule for an hour trying to line everything up.

Template.thumb.jpg.9e443c0909a36b7b6c622d2b8840b11a.jpg

Body outline on the blank.

5a106f889079a_BodyBlank.thumb.jpg.3d21b21a538e43c0546d1ecb4b346de2.jpg

Rough-cut on the bandsaw: That little dimple? near the neck pocket was a pain to get into with a 1/2" blade.

5a106fd8ea236_RoughCut.thumb.jpg.27aa8a2fb722b13f8b49bc3160f6c078.jpg

And finally, the top routed to size!

Routed.thumb.jpg.01e64cbaf6a409055b3322ab9dd50c13.jpg

Almost got a bit of tear-out near the bottom hip... There's a slight mark where I can see that it wanted to, but fortunately the wood gods were smiling down upon me today and with a tiny bit of sanding it's all going to be OK. Phew! :D.

Poplar is unlike any other wood I've worked, it has a strange way of being extremely smooth in one direction and rough in the other. I'll have to take that into account when sanding to avoid tearing the grain up.

Surprisingly heavy too at around 4-5Lbs. Much heavier than I was expecting.

Well... Here is where it ended:

5a10729aac3ea_RoutingLeft.thumb.jpg.1dc62a09931c15a7b98644e82958ce1c.jpg

Due to the lack of the aforementioned bottom guided bit. Or is that a top guided bit when it's in a router table?

Anyway, I'm struggling with the decision of whether or not to round over the body... Thoughts?

Also, I'm not too sure if I still want the transparent finish on this one as the back really isn't the prettiest and has a few imperfections, but not enough to be a feature. I'm thinking maybe straight black with a purple pearl... But I don't know if that will make it look cheap?

Well, there it is for today.

Thanks for looking!

I would just give it a light wash of 1-1/2lb cut shellac. Something light to stop up the wood. Whilst finish will not sink into fine-grained closed pore wood, it'll certainly drink it up. I did this on an Alder body, which is similar to Poplar in a fair few ways. It saved me a lot of work priming and painting.

15 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

I would just give it a light wash of 1-1/2lb cut shellac. Something light to stop up the wood. Whilst finish will not sink into fine-grained closed pore wood, it'll certainly drink it up. I did this on an Alder body, which is similar to Poplar in a fair few ways. It saved me a lot of work priming and painting.

A wealth of knowledge as always! Cheers!

It's what I'd do, whether it's right or wrong. Shellac is a nice simple base for (almost) anything, so to me it feels like covering your bases. If you don't have any shellac on hand, it might be simpler to go ahead with the schedule you had in mind. Shellac's pretty cheap and simple to use, so hell, why not. I've always found it great to work off for a number of things. The build I was referring to is the '51 P-Bass. The primer and 2K laid on really nicely. Probably just as well as they would have done otherwise, perhaps. It's difficult to say without A/Bing them.

3 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

It's what I'd do, whether it's right or wrong. Shellac is a nice simple base for (almost) anything, so to me it feels like covering your bases. If you don't have any shellac on hand, it might be simpler to go ahead with the schedule you had in mind. Shellac's pretty cheap and simple to use, so hell, why not. I've always found it great to work off for a number of things. The build I was referring to is the '51 P-Bass. The primer and 2K laid on really nicely. Probably just as well as they would have done otherwise, perhaps. It's difficult to say without A/Bing them.

I always have shellac on hand... I love the stuff for popping the grain in wood. Makes everything look beautiful.

I'll probably be using an acrylic urethane for this build so I'd imagine no problems with compatibility. I'll of course do a test piece though. ;).

2K scares the hell out of me, wish I could bring myself to use it though. Got a link for the P-Bass?

A few people have complained about compatibility with poly over shellac in woodworking forums. The Wood Whisperer on YouTube did testes which showed no apparent issues. It's difficult to tell, however I've never seen specific cases of problems.

2K isn't bad, but definitely not one to make a habit of using without protective gear. I couldn't recommend not using full eye, skin and respiratory though. It'd be irresponsible since any level of exposure is always "not good"! I think it's great as an easy finish though. Once we construct the booth at work, I want to use it more.

http://www.projectguitar.com/gallery/album/73-lumi-custom-1951-5-p-bass/

8 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

A few people have complained about compatibility with poly over shellac in woodworking forums. The Wood Whisperer on YouTube did testes which showed no apparent issues. It's difficult to tell, however I've never seen specific cases of problems.

2K isn't bad, but definitely not one to make a habit of using without protective gear. I couldn't recommend not using full eye, skin and respiratory though. It'd be irresponsible since any level of exposure is always "not good"! I think it's great as an easy finish though. Once we construct the booth at work, I want to use it more.

http://www.projectguitar.com/gallery/album/73-lumi-custom-1951-5-p-bass/

Never heard of compatibility issues with shellac and poly so I'll have to ring the manufacturer and ask their opinion just in case!

I love the idea of 2K, but anything that recommends you dress like you're about to clean a crime scene I try to avoid lol. And unfortunately I'm not safely set-up for spraying anything flammable or hazardous. If I could afford to I'd outsource the finishing and go with a 2K or something along those lines. But for now at least I'm either french polish or water-based. At least with those it's just respirator, goggles and throw away coveralls if you're being over-cautious. (Respirator and goggles excluded of course.)

That's a pretty damn nice bass by the way! Love the sparkle.

Well that's it. Neither have I other than people mentioning incompatibility and then demonstrating....none.

Spraying a guitar with 2K isn't too bad. Just don't sit with it whilst it dries! Splash n' go.

The colour I chose was on a Nissan X-Trail I saw in the supermarket car park. The metal flakes in there are a nice mix and just work really well. The other choice was a golden-y white that I'd seen on a Subaru chip in the local PPG distro.

1 hour ago, Prostheta said:

Well that's it. Neither have I other than people mentioning incompatibility and then demonstrating....none.

Spraying a guitar with 2K isn't too bad. Just don't sit with it whilst it dries! Splash n' go.

The colour I chose was on a Nissan X-Trail I saw in the supermarket car park. The metal flakes in there are a nice mix and just work really well. The other choice was a golden-y white that I'd seen on a Subaru chip in the local PPG distro.

Do you think maybe they just washed on the shellac and then before it had dried properly shoved a coat of poly on?

I'm still not too keen on the idea... I might ask at the college if they have a room suitable to spray stuff in. I mean they do auto repair and painting and decorating, so maybe.

Auto colours are a great idea to look at for finishes, you can pretty much just walk into an auto paint store and tell them the car and get that colour.

Speaking of paint, if I were to paint this guitar black, can you recommend any type of paint? I know that most acrylics never truly dry and I don't want to have to re-finish this one too.

Marc tests both waxed and dewaxed. I suspect that dewaxed isn't as wax-free as a good super-blonde shellac from flake. That might be the reason. The comments section contains a lot of useful information to feed through your critical thinking processes. The most important points are the differences between off-the-shelf tinned shellac (both waxed and dewaxed) and the different flake shellacs. For my own part, I prefer very dilute shellac for light stopping up of grain. Less than the 2lb Marc uses here.

6 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

Marc tests both waxed and dewaxed. I suspect that dewaxed isn't as wax-free as a good super-blonde shellac from flake. That might be the reason. The comments section contains a lot of useful information to feed through your critical thinking processes. The most important points are the differences between off-the-shelf tinned shellac (both waxed and dewaxed) and the different flake shellacs. For my own part, I prefer very dilute shellac for light stopping up of grain. Less than the 2lb Marc uses here.

Well, I certainly agree that canned stuff isn't the way to go unless you're just going with shellac. It usually has additives to stop it from going bad in the can so they can keep it on the shelf longer. That may be one of the causes.

Maybe it's impatience on the part of most people so they buy a can rather than wait for it to dissolve in alcohol. I know that I've been impatient with a lot of finishes in the past and they've either turned out so-so or terrible. You spend more time trying to fix your rushing than it would have taken to do it right in the first place <_<. (I know this all too well.)

Especially not here....products can sit on shelves for long periods of time, and shellac has a very limited window for efficacy. I threw away a small batch I mixed up in June 2016, which goes to show just how important marking these up is!

I've been in the market for a small coffee grinder to dust my shellac for a while now....

3 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

Especially not here....products can sit on shelves for long periods of time, and shellac has a very limited window for efficacy. I threw away a small batch I mixed up in June 2016, which goes to show just how important marking these up is!

I've been in the market for a small coffee grinder to dust my shellac for a while now....

Pestle and mortar? On the other hand, there are plenty of coffee grinders on Ebay here for under £15. Hmmm... I may have to get one.

Yeah, I've had pre bottled stuff from Liberon, although it works, it stays tacky much longer than it should. Probably because it's been sitting around for the best part of a year before I buy it, then sits here for months. Still works, but not as it should.

True, and shellac is food safe if you want to re-use it! My shellac would end up smelling of pepper and juniper from my favourite salmon seasoning. :thumb:

£15 is £15. I have so many things I need to buy as a matter of priority, especially some kind of modelling amp since I now have absolutely zero playing and recording gear after my last one died. It's so rare that I need to mix up shellac that I think I can live without the luxury of a grinder for a little longer!

I've never tried the Liberon stuff, however I've been curious about their "button polish" which seems to be garnet shellac with black pigment. At least, a good equivalent mix one can make from garnet flake.

2 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

True, and shellac is food safe if you want to re-use it! My shellac would end up smelling of pepper and juniper from my favourite salmon seasoning. :thumb:

£15 is £15. I have so many things I need to buy as a matter of priority, especially some kind of modelling amp since I now have absolutely zero playing and recording gear after my last one died. It's so rare that I need to mix up shellac that I think I can live without the luxury of a grinder for a little longer!

I've never tried the Liberon stuff, however I've been curious about their "button polish" which seems to be garnet shellac with black pigment. At least, a good equivalent mix one can make from garnet flake.

If you can get it "fresh" I'd say give it a go. It goes a long way, so long I ended up throwing most of it out after using it on many products. I have some of their "black polish" and for some reason that seems to have lasted a lot longer than regular shellac for whatever reason.

Lol, seasoned shellac... Maybe use any left over as a crunchy glaze haha.

The Peavey Vypyr isn't a terrible sounding modelling amp. Although if you have access to an audio interface, I'd suggest BIAS Amp/FX into a KEMO M032N to a cab. It's what I'm currently using since I'm too cheap to get another 6505... Well, I say cheap, I mean poor. :(. It's a very reasonable alternative to tube amps and I doubt most people could tell the difference. BIAS is a bit lacking on the gain though, as a previous 5150 owner, you'll know the shear amount of gain available even on 3 on the preamp... With BIAS you'll need it on 7 to get the same amount. Of course it does require you be near a computer/laptop.

No audio interface I'm afraid....the best purchase I can find would be a Line6 Helix LT. I need a lot of high-quality tones for demo'ing instrument adequately, and it ticks all of the boxes. You're right about most people not being able to tell the difference, however once they SEE the setup or you tell them, of course they can tell the difference and yeah, they'll tell you alright. Anyway.

It's about time I got to work on my own Teles. If only those magnets would appear so I didn't keep dropping the GoPro on the bench....

7 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

No audio interface I'm afraid....the best purchase I can find would be a Line6 Helix LT. I need a lot of high-quality tones for demo'ing instrument adequately, and it ticks all of the boxes. You're right about most people not being able to tell the difference, however once they SEE the setup or you tell them, of course they can tell the difference and yeah, they'll tell you alright. Anyway.

It's about time I got to work on my own Teles. If only those magnets would appear so I didn't keep dropping the GoPro on the bench....

Whatever works! If something sounds good, it sounds good. Doesn't matter how it gets there. I like tube amps, but if there's something modelled or SS that sounds good, I'll use it.

Does that mean there will be videos soon? :D.

15 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

Sure will! I've been proofing some of the techniques before I demonstrate them, so as you can understand that takes double the time and investment. No wonder I'm not at coffee grinder level yet!

Lol. Well I'm sure it will pay off in the end! Looking forward to watching them :thumb:.