Feedback from Volume Pot

MattSA

The guitar hums more than I remember before re-wiring, as well as producing an audible spike through the amp when touched. The knob is plastic, the pot is a coil-tap pot, I have one of the in/out/ground terminals of the volume pot grounded to the case of the tone pot . I was under the assumption that this ground the pot casing.

Matt

I suspect you're missing a ground connection to the strings via the bridge.

If you have a guitar lead with a metallic barrel shell, try plugging it in to your guitar and amp. If the hum and pops stop occuring when you have one hand on the metal shell of the guitar lead, you've got a missing ground inside the guitar.

This is what I thought. Unfortunately, the bridge is separate from the guitar. This is a Washburn and offers two double-coil cavities and a switch cavity on the face of the guitar and a tone/volume cavity in back leading to the input jack. The bridge is completely removed from the body. Any idea how I can ground the bridge/strings? There is a white wire leading to the tone/volume cavity which was once used for this purpose, but I cannot determine where it leads to or how to attach it.

Matt

12 hours ago, MattSA said:

Unfortunately, the bridge is separate from the guitar. This is a Washburn

Not sure what you mean by 'separate from the guitar'. Have you got a Washburn model that we can look up?

12 hours ago, MattSA said:

Any idea how I can ground the bridge/strings? There is a white wire leading to the tone/volume cavity which was once used for this purpose,

I imagine that the wire is already connected to the bridge. All you have to do is connect the other end to the nearest ground inside the guitar. This is typically made to the case of the volume pot, the case of the tone pot or the ground lug on the output jack for example.

Ok. I looked around for the correct definition of bridge type. It is of the tune-o-matic variety. I'm thinking that the white ground ran to a connected plate at the base of the screws used to adjust the bridge's height. Thus when the bridge was assembled the wires contact the bridge, the bridge contacts the screws, the screws contact the ground within the guitar body. Just a guess. I'm thinking that I will connect this wire to the volume pot and see how it sounds. Ill post later in the week. 

Thanks,

Matt

• 1 month later...

I ended up pulling the bushing used by the bridge and replaced the ground. I'm currently in the process of completing the wiring so I can't say for certain this will fix the problem. I actually was messing around with the guitar before I started re-wiring and I noticed that whenever I touched the screws that attach the humbucker carriage to the plastic humbucker plate (used to attach the humbucker to the guitar) I'd get very large spikes and an increase in background noise of the guitar. To fix this I completely shielded and grounded all cavities. I think that the carriages will contact the shielding.

Thanks for all the Help,

Matt