Voting November 2018's Guitar Of The Month is now open
MAKE YOUR VOTE COUNT HERE!

Sign in to follow this  
guitar2005

Shellac and Nitro

16 hours ago, guitar2005 said:

Do you guys sand a dewaxed shellac base coat when topcoating with Lacquer?

That depends on the shellac finish? If it is rough then yes, if sprayed and good surface no, the lacquer will burn into it either way. If I used the shellac as my toner base, no sanding.

mk

• Thanks 1

Yeah, I like to use shellac to give the wood a nice hue and it also acts as a sealer and partial grain filler. 

This is the first time I mix my own shellac. I used a 2lb cut and sprayed it on. I just wasn't sure anymore whether lacquer would work over it with no sanding. I haven't sprayed lacquer in a while.

• Like 1

I used it under nitro in the past (to shield a swirl job from the nitro) and recently under 2k clear. I also used it on a figured maple neck under nitro just for the color. Works great!

I accidentally used a waxed shellac and when I realized my mistake, I lightly sanded it and I added 2 coats of dewaxed shellac over it, then sprayed the lacquer over it, 

I just hope the lacquer doesn't peel off because it would be a lot of wasted time, effort and money. So far, on the headstocks, its seems pretty solid but I'm not sure about the bodies with more lacquer layers.  Maybe the adherence isn't great because its still fresh?

It seems like the dewaxed shellac coats should be sufficient for proper adhesion, but I'm not so sure anymore. :(