PRS-like project(s)

OK, the claw, v.2 :) I've cut a new blank, marked all the lines and holes and drilled trough with a 2 mm bit. It seems that the brass cuts much quicker on small diameters, and enlarging them gradually is fairly easy. The drill was set at almost minimum speed. 

I tried to drill 2 depth stops (6.5mm) without pre-drilling and that went very slowly for a depth of 5.5mm.

The most challenging bit of work was the angled drilling, I broke a few drills as my setup obviously has a lot of play in it, and then the 7mm bit wandering, causing the rough inner surface.

I decided to use slightly longer screws, but the heads had to be turned down a bit to fit into the slots.

Quite some filing to do yet to square it all up and remove (most, where possible) tool marks. I'll cut the spring slot later today, and I think I have a nice idea on how to do it a little bit better than the last time.

39300983485_5e0a96074e_b.jpg168 by Goran P, on Flickr

39300983405_45df0fbd47_b.jpg169 by Goran P, on Flickr

39300983315_594e772a08_b.jpg170 by Goran P, on Flickr

39300982935_3f595017ac_b.jpg171 by Goran P, on Flickr

39300982815_9d7cf1eabc_b.jpg172 by Goran P, on Flickr

39300983255_6d4e8095ab_b.jpg173 by Goran P, on Flickr

28419068959_8664e46a27_b.jpg174 by Goran P, on Flickr

28419068869_f771b975ca_b.jpg175 by Goran P, on Flickr

39300982705_c4415205cc_b.jpg176 by Goran P, on Flickr

28419068669_a744e50ac9_b.jpg177 by Goran P, on Flickr

• Like 1

Yes - that looks much more usable @gpcustomguitars :). It's quite important to have easy adjustability - particularly for those players who prefer a floating bridge.

Ref your earlier question about thumb access on the bass side of your bass turned electric design (which I love, by the way), yes - a lot of lead players use their thumb to anchor round the neck/upper cutout join for bending at the top frets (and thumb at side of fretboard for general bending). It was a bit of a revelation to me when I let a number of experienced lead players try out the Swift Lite, and I will be incorporating that hand positioning in the design of the soon-to-be-revealed Swift Lite mark 2 ;)

Thanks! Yes, that's the idea, I want to set it up with a floating bridge. One thing that I can't make right now is to have a sliding nut to go with the screw that tightens it down once it's been set up. It would need a tiny rail, and that would be an overkill :) I might do it later with, say, 2 brass strips and some shallow routing, but that can be done on any string change if needed.

Just a quick pic of cutting the slot - last time I cut twice and drilled once, and this time stacked 3 saws on the frame to get the width needed. Used 2 clips to keep them nice and tight during the cutting, worked fine. Just one cut, and it stayed pretty straight.

No pic of the finished part, I just sanded it a bit and chamfered all the edges after this. This is all not machined-straight, but for the setup I've used, it's OK and functional.

25335115507_f2e3744bd5_z.jpg178 by Goran P, on Flickr

26333958688_ce0ed8d89f_b.jpg179 by Goran P, on Flickr

Regarding the design - thanks! I Think I will make it during this year, perhaps altering it a bit more to get a better thumb access. But first, I need to finish a few other things - the BillyBo sibling I've started some time ago, and a tele and a 335 commisioned by a friend.

10 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

design of the soon-to-be-revealed Swift Lite mark 2 ;)

Waiting!!! :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, gpcustomguitars said:

Assembly time! My son helped (it means he has claimed the guitar), but being 8, we went trough the paint on the tip of the headstock while polishing...I guess we can live with that. The clause is that he has to take lessons :)

38585753790_e4aa185a2e_z.jpg184 by Goran P, on Flickr

Bridge and the wiring to follow!

That looks great! :thumb:

Pots and bridge studs are in, I'll need to deepen the toggle area for a hair and reapply a piece of the foil, shouldn't be a problem. I didn't take the cupping of the dip in the top/washer into account, if that makes sense...otherwise, seems OK, I'll start the wiring. I'm planning a treble bleed, a 470pf/100K combo, any other suggestions? The pots are 500k.

38604515930_99980e5783_z.jpg185 by Goran P, on Flickr

Thanks!!! Did some wiring last night, according to a  PRS schematic I found. As planned, treble bleed 100k/470pf, with 22nf. What always gives me some trouble is which connector is which on these types of jacks :) Waiting on the mini hums, and some polishing of the hum rings still to do. I'll leave them white, it seems to go well with the theme.

I'm postponing the making of a new block as my drill press setup seems too unreliable for 40mm deep drilling until I get a real drill press...

39724836664_7a965d8086_z.jpg186 by Goran P, on Flickr

We have a new table cloth :)

39596593985_3e080c4ce2_z.jpg187 by Goran P, on Flickr

Not completely happy with the looks of details on the claw, but at least, it's polished. I would like to get some proper tooling, but that will have to wait.

39596667535_ba43a2169c_z.jpg188 by Goran P, on Flickr

Did basic setup with some used 11 strings I saved for such a purpose, and let it sit over night. No movement, so I switched to lighter gauge, 09, and did some more tweaking. Waiting on it to settle, re-tweaking once a day, seems all good. I would like to lower the strings a little more in the long run. I play with 10s, but I think that for a child 9s are better. I taught him 2 chords, we'll see :)

What's left to do is to wait on the mailman and to check whether I got all the soldering right in the first take.

The pickups arrived! Had to redrill the height adjustments holes, as they were too tight, but otherwise, I just loosened the strings and they slipped right in. Happy :) I think white rings are just right for this guitar. Toggle is also white, and I've changed the tuner buttons with pearl ones.

Other than some more minor tweaking, it's missing a cover and input jack is probably wired wrong. I've tested it's 3 legs with a cable, but forgot that the ring one will also read as ground...will re-test and re-solder as needed.

39655064065_9014e0ab39_z.jpg189 by Goran P, on Flickr

38740223870_f61c0c1a10_z.jpg190 by Goran P, on Flickr

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a lot! I expect we'll see more rain in the next few days, but it's definitely spring here. The temperature on the day of that photo was 21C! We are finally out of the house, I'll start building the additional workbench I have planned for a while, and my son can start a little garden that he wants :) He pops up in the shop every now and then, mostly to have fun trying to file something and pestering me to let him use my spokeshave :)

• Like 1