Push-pull bridge switch problem

Flamesong

Hi, this is my first post.

I've been messing around with guitars for years but I just finished constructing my first guitar, if finished is the right word as I seem to have been bitten by something which won't allow me to stop wanting to do more.

I simply don't have the space or experience to build from scratch but I aim to design my own bodies and buy necks until I have confidence and somewhere I can make them myself. In the meantime, I bought an ash body ST kit and put the electronics on the preloaded scratch plate to one side and bought some upgrades.

My aim was to have three dual rail humbuckers, each with a series/parallel mini-toggle switch and a push-pull bridge on switch and a momentary push kill switch all mounted on a copper coloured anodised aluminium scratchplate.  Also, due to me sometimes knocking the volume knob whilst playing, moved the knobs so that the volume knob (with push pull swich) is next to the jack socket.

I finally got the result I wanted all apart from the push-pull bridge on switch. I have spent hours trying to figure out why, having followed the wiring diagrams I have followed (which are essentially all the same), when I activate the push-pull switch, the signal circuit shorts out and I get nothing.

I'd post a copy of one of the wiring diagrams but I don't want to infringe any copyright in my first post but basically, it connects the white wire from the pickup to one of the push pull terminals and the  volume pot to the other.

If anybody has any thoughts on what I might have done wrong, I'd be grateful.

flamesong-fce001-01a.jpg

I can't see an edit button so:

P.S. I opted not to have a Fender shaped headstock.

Although all but one of my guitars are either Fenders or Strat copies, my ultimate intention is to use an original hardtail body shape I have designed which uses a standard Strat scratchplate - maybe in oak (cue dissent!).

4 hours ago, Flamesong said:

I finally got the result I wanted all apart from the push-pull bridge on switch. I have spent hours trying to figure out why, having followed the wiring diagrams I have followed (which are essentially all the same), when I activate the push-pull switch, the signal circuit shorts out and I get nothing.

I assume this 'bridge on' switch just adds the bridge pickup to whatever pickup combination is currently selected?

Post a picture of your wiring around the push-pull switch and volume pot. I reckon it's a pretty easy fix.

I found the problem.

Basically, the pickups I bought did not have the wiring colours of the diagram I was following (black and white were reversed) which I discovered too late. I corrected this with the installation of the mini-toggle switches but I completely forgot about it as far as the push pull switch was concerned. Every diagram I looked at said to connect it to the white pickup wire but in my case, it should have been black.

I put it back together and it works fine. I'm still a bit overwhelmed with the options I now have but time to play.