Stripy Double Cut With An F-Hole

ScottR

4 hours ago, Stu. said:

Even your test scraps are prettier than most guitars! Do you have a project in mind for the refined technique?

It doesn't hurt that that is a really really nice piece of curly maple.

I've got some ash that's been sitting for a while and wants to be a guitar.....or some of it does. Some of it wants to be an electric mandolin.

I'm thinking I need to find a really really nice piece of maple for a top to try this on to go with that ash that wants to be a guitar.

Nothing more specific than that so far. Of course, most of my builds don't start out with plans much more specific than that anyway.

SR

Well, I got his all polished up, and it looks amazing......but I learned how difficult it is to take good pictures of something underneath a highly reflective surface.:mellow:

Here's a couple shots that survived the cull,,,,many many more did not...and I need to try for some more..

C01015.jpgC01022.jpg

I continued to level the Tru-Oil.

C01027.jpgC01028.jpg

SR

Polishing to this level lets me see how much depth I have left on the edges and above the dye layer.

C01058.jpgC01060.jpg

Now it hangs for another week....probably two, since I have family obligations :huh: next weekend. Then I'll see how much the finish shrank and sank and will likely level and polish again.

C01061.jpgC01062.jpg

SR

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Wow, it's enough to make anybody use Tru-Oil on their next build. I've never seen anything like that. Time and dedication make for all manner of results I guess. How many hours have gone in so far?

Tru-Oil certainly imparts a nice warm glow. Hours? If you are referring to the build, I started the week before Thanksgiving (late November) and have worked most weekends since. If you are referring to leveling the finish to this degree, that was about 20 hours, many of them very leisurely.:)

SR

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried every setting my camera has to try to get a focus on the figure in this test piece. I'm planning to use this technique in the next build and I really want to show off  how it looks.

Alas.

C01093.jpgC01096.jpg

It looks to be a half inch deep, but I can't get the camera to focus below the surface....probably, because it is all really just surface and illusion.:huh:

I let this hang for two weeks whilst I did family stuff and sure enough, the finish sank into the pores. So I re-leveled it and polished it again....and came back the next day and it shrank again. Enough of that, it still looks like the surface of a pool of water. And as it turns out, some life stuff got in the way of completely finishing, but I got to a point where I could take some nice pictures.

C01099.jpgC01101.jpgC01102.jpgC01106.jpgC01107.jpg

SR

• Like 3

I've never seen a finish like that achieved with tru-oil before - I really haven't

I'm done...I'm all out of awe.  Time for a cup of tea and a deep, honest, reflection of how far I still have to go.  I suspect that on a scale of early life forms to 21st century, I'm no further than early cretaceous :lol:

Bravo, @ScottR   Masterly :thumb:

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Mr Natural said:

at first glance without knowing any better- I would be hard struck to immediately  identify that top as Zebra Wood- you have altered the appearance of the wood so much- and in a good way. 

Yeah, it's amazing what was lurking inside that just waiting to be let out.

SR

6 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

I've never seen a finish like that achieved with tru-oil before - I really haven't

I'm done...I'm all out of awe.  Time for a cup of tea and a deep, honest, reflection of how far I still have to go.  I suspect that on a scale of early life forms to 21st century, I'm no further than early cretaceous :lol:

Bravo, @ScottR   Masterly :thumb:

Thanks Andy, and you are selling yourself short. I hold your work in just as high esteem.

And I really look forward to your posts. Your prose is so entertaining and fun to read. And your praise is so eloquent, I kind of wonder what a rebuke would sound like.:D

SR

7 minutes ago, Stu. said:

The finish is unbelievable! I always thought that level of gloss only achievable with 2k or similar. Bravo for the finish on top and craftmanship beneath!

Thanks Stu.

Apparently, Tru-Oil polishes up pretty well. And adding enough layers to get some depth in the finish brings the added bonus adding a very nice warm glow as well.

SR

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ScottR said:

And I really look forward to your posts. Your prose is so entertaining and fun to read.

Well, it's amazing what you can do with predictive text.

I just start typing and the flowerbed just flows as if by Magna Carta :) Takes ALL the effort out of replying to a US Postal Service

1 hour ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Well, it's amazing what you can do with predictive text.

I just start typing and the flowerbed just flows as if by Magna Carta :) Takes ALL the effort out of replying to a US Postal Service

Ha!

Those high end houses that sent you rejection notices don't realize what they've let slip through their fingers.

SR

• Haha 1