Stripy Double Cut With An F-Hole

ScottR

58 minutes ago, pan_kara said:

what about no headstock cap? :D

Also a possibility to consider. This will take some reconstruction to pull off though. I have set up the ledge for the nut to use the headstock cap as the back edge of the slot. I'd have to mill the surface of the headstock  down a little and move the nut location down the neck a little and route a new slot with a rear lip. Certainly nothing that cannot be done at this stage.

SR

6 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Excellent for so many reasons :)

6 hours ago, curtisa said:

Subscrib'd

3 hours ago, gpcustomguitars said:

Looking forward to this!!!

2 hours ago, Norris said:

That neck is going to look gorgeous when it's carved

Thanks guys. You are making some mighty kind comments about something just barely past the pile of lumber stage.:D

SR

5 hours ago, ScottR said:

Also a possibility to consider. This will take some reconstruction to pull off though. I have set up the ledge for the nut to use the headstock cap as the back edge of the slot. I'd have to mill the surface of the headstock  down a little and move the nut location down the neck a little and route a new slot with a rear lip. Certainly nothing that cannot be done at this stage.

SR

true, but is that really really necessary? I mean supporting (blocking) the nut from the tuners' side. I went and took a look at my guitars - I have a high end Mayones and there appears to be nothing on the headstock except paint (so there might be a tiny ledge created). On my Etna build I just cut a ledge in the fingerboard (it was so thick that resting the nut on the neck itself would have made it too low.

Clearly there are ways around this :)

15 minutes ago, pan_kara said:

true, but is that really really necessary?

No, not at all. Between the string pressure and a drop of glue, it's not going anywhere. Don't Gibson nuts just sit on a ledge behind the fretboard? I honestly don't know if their headstock caps make a back edge against the nut or not. It's more about changing the plan I had.....and I do that all the time, or at least plan some of the details as I go.

Do you really think that pattern would look good on the headstock? I think it is striking looking, but that would be the only place that pattern would show up...except that it would look similar on the back of the headstock as well. The stripes would continue on into the neck where they are not broken by the carve.

It is definitely something to consider.

SR

20 hours ago, ScottR said:

for the first time I am reprising one of my original designs

One version of your design is a custom build. Two versions is practically a production run. You've sold out, man ;):D

1 hour ago, ScottR said:

Do you really think that pattern would look good on the headstock?

I say get your headstock rough cut to shape and hold up your nominated headplate over the top to see how it looks one way or t'other.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2017 at 6:40 PM, ScottR said:

This build is likely to have several interruptions along the way, but it will keep me amused between interruptions.

And right off the bat one of those interruptions rears its head. I got my brother in law a knife kit for Christmas. In this case that consisted of a blade. Instead of giving him a kit consisting of a blade, I figured I would use some of my fancy off-cuts an build the knife's handle too.:)

C00616.jpg

First I used the blade to line up a drill the bolster holes into the blade stock.

C00617.jpg

Then I cut the stock down into scales.

C00620.jpg

I also got some brass rod for the bolsters. I had to chuck it up in the drill press and sand it just a bit to allow it just a smidge of play in the steel handle.

C00621.jpgC00624.jpgC00625.jpg

SR

If the bolsters do not have any play, that may not seat into the handle at perfect right angles, which would have made lining up the bolsters with the holes on both scales nigh on impossible.

C00626.jpg

Bench vises are handy to have around...

C00627.jpg

I squeezed a bit of CA in there, to seal the deal....as it were, and continued to turn the handle on the vise.

After gripping the blade somewhat nonchalantly, I decided to cover the edge with some heavy tape. It was also useful to protect the steel from the shaping tools...

C00629.jpg

...which began as a drum sander bit on a dremel and finished with 80 grit on a sanding stick.

C00631.jpg

And then followed up with finish sanding.

C00634.jpgC00638.jpg

SR

4 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

The blade on that knife is quite something, by the way.  I saw a clip of how the layers of steel are built up on these types of blade - awe inspiring stuff....

There was a program on BBC4 a while back that was fascinating - possibly helped by a complete lack of dumbed down dialogue, just the craftsman at work making a damascus knife

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/3vfQq8Lrwy4rhgYLVrXBPpS/how-artist-blacksmith-and-bladesmith-owen-bush-forges-a-modern-damascus-knife

Edit: It's still on iPlayer for fellow UKers

Lovely work on the handle @ScottR

Edited by Norris
  • Like 2

We've got a show over here called "Forged in Fire" on the History Channel that features 4 bladesmiths competing to make knives or swords....the final two compete to make historical weapons, that often require them to make folded steel first. Fascinating stuff. I have always wanted a Damascus bladed knife and still don't have one. I suppose I should get a kit for myself.:rolleyes:

SR