Obol guitar build

On 4/8/2018 at 3:05 PM, Andyjr1515 said:

I know that awesome is an overused expression -  but I remain in awe of this proect.  Can't wait to see the resultant casting :)

Thanks!

Right now I feel like a kid excited for Christmas morning, but this kid doesn't know when Christmas day is.

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

No, the existing surface finish won't remain.

There will need to be considerable grinding, filing, sanding on all surfaces.  You can see oxidation forming from my fingerprints I left on it yesterday, and without treating the surface, it would quickly dull.

Bronze is soft, so I will rely on hand tools (files and sand paper) to finish the outside.  I have a foredom tool (with a foot pedal) to grind on the inside surface.  I may have to invest in a pencil grinder that can hold larger mandrels than my foredom will. 

All the supports were added in wax, but bronze TIG welding would be the process that is used.  If I do encounter any large voids of porosity, I may need to enlist the foundry to fill them with that method.  I see some porosity, but nothing that cannot be dealt with by burnishing/ peening the surface with a hammer.

Edited by FINEFUZZ

55 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

That looks a very satisfying pursuit. I doubt that you'll get the old metal flu from grinding her up or lose your sense of smell, but hey!

Yeah, I  am not messing with that.  I wear a respirator. 

I can't decide if aluminum welding fumes are the worst I have experienced, or if it is the exposure to burning and sanding super glue.   

But yes, I may end up with no sight, no sense of smell, and one or two less fingers at the end of this process.

Will I be too crippled to play a guitar?

Edited by FINEFUZZ

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

Man, those bronze filings are still going to be turning up twenty years down the line you know?

Maybe that's what I have been picking out of the palms of my hands at work today.

9 hours ago, Mr Natural said:

wow- this has been an education. How many hours do you have into that top/body now? 

bonus points for the foggy geezer in the shot above- how was it?

I have not been keeping track of the hours too well.

maybe

60+ in modeling it on the computer

25+ preparing for casting

20 in sanding grinding

I usually only spend an hour or two working on it every other day, and lately the work has started demanding more muscle.  After a couple of hours my hands a beat, and to tired to practice the guitar.  I would like to do a demo of this guitar when it is completed, but I need to greatly increase my playing skills before that happens.

The Foggy Geezer is a very well rounded IPA, and it is my favorite IPA at the moment.  Although War Pigs it is a collaboration between 3 Floyds and  Mikkeller (two of my favorite brewers), it seems like it will be a permanent release.  The Geezer is definitely hazy and dank ( but not resiny) and it is also fruity and very easy to drink.  Their Lazurite is also good.  Highly recommended!

10 minutes ago, ScottR said:

How thick is that bronze shell? Presumably thick enough to have plenty left after leveling the surface...:mellow:

SR

Is seems to be around .250" thick (at the most ) in places now.  Once I get the outer surface defined, material will get hogged out of the inside with the goal of achieving a .125" wall thickness.  When I picked it up from the foundry it weighed eight pounds, but it needs it to be closer to six pounds.  This weight was prior to having the sprue bases removed and flash ground off however.