19 hours ago, charisjapan said:

Recommended grit?  Micromesh is not available here, but something similar is ... and it’s not inexpensive,  I can’t find and muti-grit packs, so have to choose a grit.

Thanks.

Amazon won't deliver to Japan? I thought Bezos owned the world.

I go through all the grits in the micromesh kit which is 1500, 1800, 2400, 3200, 3600, 4000, 6000, 8000, 12000. and results in a mirror finish. I find 1500 to be roughly like a 3M 400 so, the grits would go roughly from 400 through 3000 in a 3M type scale.

SR

11 hours ago, ScottR said:

I go through all the grits in the micromesh kit which is 1500, 1800, 2400, 3200, 3600, 4000, 6000, 8000, 12000. and results in a mirror finish. I find 1500 to be roughly like a 3M 400 so, the grits would go roughly from 400 through 3000 in a 3M type scale.

SR

Or Ebay.  Certainly available on the uk site at £21 for a 9 sheet pack.  Got a pack years ago and it's still going strong used both wet and used dry.  

13 hours ago, ScottR said:

SR

1 hour ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Or Ebay.  Certainly available on the uk site at £21 for a 9 sheet pack.  Got a pack years ago and it's still going strong used both wet and used dry.  

First problem was searching “micromesh” on Amazon Japan ... no hits. Bezos may own the world, but Amazon USA and Amazon Japan are not on speaking terms. Next, ya gotta have the hyphen.  Fortunately, I have an American account, and they will ship to Japan a lot cheaper than eBay.  So weird how companies will “ship worldwide,” but consider Japan to be another planet. 

Thanks guys, I did find it, and will buy it ... but might just pick some up if I can find it in Hawaii next week.  My grandson is having his First Birthday Party ... a BIG DEAL in Hawaii!  My daughter is now working as an A.D. on “Magnum P.I.” so decided she can fly my wife and I there to celebrate.  Good Kid!  (I asked if I could drive the Ferrari, but apparently “Higgins” said NO!)

Just a thought,  but would using a quality wet/dry paper #1000 ~ #2000 ~ #3000 accomplish the same thing?  That I have in hand now ...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, charisjapan said:

Just a thought,  but would using a quality wet/dry paper #1000 ~ #2000 ~ #3000 accomplish the same thing?  That I have in hand now ...

Yes, but you'll go through a lot more of it. It will clog with resin much faster than micro-mesh. Since you have that in hand, go for it!

I know I would.

SR

4 hours ago, charisjapan said:

Waiting for a Micro-Mesh kit, but got this with #1500 abrasive "sponge" available here.

Some folks say not to use anything on Ebony, but the slightest moisture dulls it ... suggestions to protect/seal it?

43326587085_164c78f4ae_b.jpg

43326599775_83f5d8fbfc_b.jpg

43326615875_55773043b0_b.jpg

As you say, most people say you don't need to use anything and I am sure that is true.  I confess that I slurry and buff tru-oil on ebony boards in the same way that I slurry and buff the necks.  I find that it fills the grain and produces an organic feeling yet silky smooth surface that neverthless resists sweat marks, etc.. 

Of course, untreated ebony doesn't actually sweat stain like other woods but it does, in my experience, dull off.

I'm sure there are other views, though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

As you say, most people say you don't need to use anything and I am sure that is true.  I confess that I slurry and buff tru-oil on ebony boards in the same way that I slurry and buff the necks.  I find that it fills the grain and produces an organic feeling yet silky smooth surface that neverthless resists sweat marks, etc.. 

Of course, untreated ebony doesn't actually sweat stain like other woods but it does, in my experience, dull off.

I'm sure there are other views, though.

Confession noted ... and appreciated!  I don't want to "paint" the board or stain it black(er) or anything, just keep it from getting dull at the slightest hint of moisture.  Tru-oil, or even Odie's sounds like a plan.  I have a small cutoff, maybe I'll give the slurry a shot.

Thanks and Cheers!

Aloha!

Visiting family in my US “state of residence,” Hawaii.  Day 1, go to WoodCraft ... 

Finally got a real luthier’s/patternmaker/gunstock carving vise.  Issue was always price and shipping, so sale price was good (on top of that, my daughter got me a 10% military discount) ... but had to give up 18 kilograms of luggage allowance to get it home, i.e. free shipping.  Tru-oil is expensive in Japan, so nice to get this, then the Woodpeckers Mini-Scraper was an impulse purchase.  The shop had a lot of Koa wood, but nothing special.

Back in a week.

21D3E83E-2FAB-4FC5-B457-8085A66AFABE.jpeg

BBA06004-6A44-4320-86DE-4C01B18B2FAE.jpeg

787AB79E-3C5C-4C80-8E97-4CDAF7A66537.jpeg

glad to hear you got some items to take back- but I have to admit- I about gasped at the price of the tru-oil. Wow. $20 for 8oz. I realize things are expensive in HI compared to the mainland- and at woodcraft you are going to pay a premium anyway- but - wow. guess its a better deal than shipping to Japan. 

3 hours ago, Mr Natural said:

glad to hear you got some items to take back- but I have to admit- I about gasped at the price of the tru-oil. Wow. $20 for 8oz. I realize things are expensive in HI compared to the mainland- and at woodcraft you are going to pay a premium anyway- but - wow. guess its a better deal than shipping to Japan. 

Right?!?  That’s 32 oz price.  But beggars can’t be choosers, Amazon won’t ship to HI or Japan,  Amazon JP sells Tru-oil for $16 ... a 3oz micro bottle.  The vise was a bargain, AND got 10% off, so will be happy.  😁

On 8/26/2018 at 3:42 AM, charisjapan said:

Confession noted ... and appreciated!  I don't want to "paint" the board or stain it black(er) or anything, just keep it from getting dull at the slightest hint of moisture.  Tru-oil, or even Odie's sounds like a plan.  I have a small cutoff, maybe I'll give the slurry a shot.

Thanks and Cheers!

I always wipe on a coat of Danish oil on all my fretboards. I let it soak for ten minutes or so, then wipe it back off. That gives the board that rich oiled look as opposed to dry. It will protect against minor moisture dulling, but it will spot from water droplets, so consider that if you go that route. What it does not do is leave a layer of film on the fretboard surface, so the feel remains the same as the raw wood.

SR

• 4 weeks later...

Where was I? Oh, yeah ...

Using the table saw that a buddy gifted me, I made a more proper sanding beam box ... which works great. When I super glued the black binder on, a few fret slots sucked up the CA, and when I was cleaning it out, chipped some of the ebony. :mad: Fortunately, it fixed up pretty nicely. Frets soon!

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

• Like 1

When myself and The Chosen One last visited the UK, we happened to visit Blenheim Palace on the same day they were shooting scenes for Transformers: The Last Knight. The crew had all the 'body double' cars parked along one side of the building. Security weren't letting anyone get too close to get a good look at all the bling, though.