Top sanding - help

I have a hollow body with a spruce top and Rocklite Ebano binding. Binding looks great but after sanding, I now have black powder in the grain of the spruce top. I had applied some shellac prior to binding as I used CA glue and wanted to limit CA staining (which worked great). What can I do to get the black dust out of the top? I’m not ready to start finishing sanding yet. Do you think it will clear with finish sanding? I read one report about using naphtha. Can I use this to clean before applying finish? Right now it looks sad and I need reassurance it will clean off. 

Hi, William

Someone will come along, I'm sure, with other tips and techniques, but the same thing happened with my acoustic build.

With that, I started with a stiff vacuum cleaner brush attachment to get as much dislodgeable dust out (remember it is dust and not stain). I then ran over the top gently along the grain with a soft copper brush (a suede leather brush) and then re-vacuumed.  I then used a 'one grade coarser than finish sand but finer than rough sand' paper stuck to a small block and gently sanded all over up to, but not beyond, the binding, again followed by vacuuming.

The thing to avoid is being tempted to sand more at a darker patch...you will quickly create a dip in the soft wood.

Anyone else pitch in?

Andy

William K- exactly what @Andyjr1515  said, though be careful with any brush that is too stiff on the spruce- plus compressed air if available and maybe a tack cloth. I wouldnt wet it with any cleaning type agent until vacuumed, blown or tack clothed first- then try the naptha. 

We like pictures here if you are able to upload :)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ScottR said:

Hey William, you appear to be from near my old stomping grounds...

I sometimes use an old electric toothbrush in one hand and blow compressed air at the same time with the other to clean dark dust out of light wood's pores.

SR

Oooh - that's a good tip!  I'll just go and borrow MrsAndyjr1515's and see how well it does :)

• Like 2