Entry for June 2018's Guitar Of The Month contest is open!
ENTER HERE!

Elvis Yip

How to save a guitar which have a neck pocket that is too wide and deep

I only use a chisel to route a neck pocket of my les paul, however, the neck pocket is not falt, and the neck pocket is too wide and deep for the neck. Is there any way to save the guitar?

How much oversized is the neck pocket? If not too much then you could probably glue some veneer in to pack it out. Failing that glue a full block in to fill the pocket and re-cut it. You'll need to get a flat surface first though, and make sure you have the correct neck angle when you've finished 

I think gluing a block in was for a really oversized pocket. 

That can work well but as Norris suggested you’ll need to flatten the existing pocket first. 

Do you have a wide chisel? It would be tricky to get it flat with a narrow chisel, but possible with a lot of patience as long as it is very sharp.

Have you a cabinet scraper? That would help to get it flat but only removes tiny amounts of wood at a time.

Can you post a photo of the neck pocket?

If you have a router but refuse to use it, and have been taught to use a chisel but are not sure how to use to to create a flat bottomed mortise, I'm unsure what you're asking. Perhaps your teacher might be able to help hands-on?