Is Oregon any good for guitar?

36 minutes ago, ScottR said:

A lot of the wood get over here comes from Oregon. What kind is it?

In Australia, Oregon = Douglas Fir. Commonly used for building frames and railway sleepers.

Would probably make a respectable body. Googling 'douglas fir guitar' brings back plenty of hits for builds using Oregon as a timber for guitar making.

You know....the minute I pushed the submit button, I just knew I was fixin' to hear from you, down there in the middle of summer, telling me that yet again I have misunderstood an Aussie timber name.:D

A very high percentage of our Douglas fir ships from the state of Oregon. I wonder if the name was picked up due to seeing countless shipments of the timber arriving marked with the origin Oregon?

SR

2 hours ago, ScottR said:

You know....the minute I pushed the submit button, I just knew I was fixin' to hear from you, down there in the middle of summer, telling me that yet again I have misunderstood an Aussie timber name.:D

Ha! I 'm guessing our 'Aussie-ism' of Douglas Fir is just another example of our inability to identify timbers by anything other than what might look a bit similar back in mother England, or where they came from when they were imported.

I suspect (as you also suspect) it's called Oregon because of where it was originally exported from.

Isn't it also known as 'Oregon Pine' over in your part of the world? Could also be that over the years we just dropped the 'Pine' bit from the title for economy of speech and brain power :P

And yes, we're having quite a nice summer, thankyou :)

14 hours ago, curtisa said:

Isn't it also known as 'Oregon Pine' over in your part of the world?

I have never heard it called that, but Wikipedia tells me that is indeed the case. Here is another interesting tidbit wiki told me:

"Oregon Pine was a six-masted lumber schooner completed in 1920, which was built as a result of the shipbuilding efforts associated with World War I. She sailed in the West Coast lumber trade, bringing lumber from the Columbia River to Shanghai and Port Adelaide, Australia. "

I miss summer.....

SR

8 hours ago, ScottR said:

"Oregon Pine was a six-masted lumber schooner completed in 1920, which was built as a result of the shipbuilding efforts associated with World War I. She sailed in the West Coast lumber trade, bringing lumber from the Columbia River to Shanghai and Port Adelaide, Australia. "

Well, there you go. Learn a new thing every day. Oregon the ship, carrying Oregon the wood, from Oregon the state.

On 10/01/2018 at 7:56 AM, curtisa said:

Well, there you go. Learn a new thing every day. Oregon the ship, carrying Oregon the wood, from Oregon the state.

Then you gotta call it Oregon then, don't ya? LOL I've never heard it called anything else, see there are things even my father doesn't know!

Well thanks for your replies, yes it is summer here according to the calendar but where are the 40 degree days?

EDIT: in Perth that is

Edited by Crusader