Black Limba Flying V

Stu.

On 5/28/2019 at 6:54 AM, Bizman62 said:

What size are those magnets? I just got a pile of 4x1 mm ones and they look so small I've hesitated to put them in.

They're 5x3mm, but I'm actually worried they're too big!

• Like 1

I just used 4x2 n35 on my recent and they aren't quite strong enough for my taste... so I bought some 6x2 n50 for next time.  I'm thinking it might be nice to use steel flathead screws on the guitar side so I can 'level' things after the fact.  having seen yours I may have gone too big! 

10 minutes ago, ScottR said:

I use the 6x2's and tried the flathead screw approach and didn't like it. I used those magnets on both sides and liked it a lot.

SR

what was it you didn't like?  my other possibility is to slightly countersink my magnets and rely more on proximity to hold the covers in.  in my first go... they are not countersunk, and as such had issues getting the covers to sit even.

2 hours ago, mistermikev said:

what was it you didn't like?  my other possibility is to slightly countersink my magnets and rely more on proximity to hold the covers in.  in my first go... they are not countersunk, and as such had issues getting the covers to sit even.

I didn't think the attraction was strong enough. It could have something to do with the iron content of the screws I tried. That didn't even occur to me at the time. 6x2 magnet to magnet is plenty strong though. Gives me piece of mind to know I can't bounce the covers off.

SR

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ScottR said:

I didn't think the attraction was strong enough. It could have something to do with the iron content of the screws I tried. That didn't even occur to me at the time. 6x2 magnet to magnet is plenty strong though. Gives me piece of mind to know I can't bounce the covers off.

SR

right the smaller mags I used work ok, but I get the impression that if you really shook the guitar (perhaps if you play "you shook me all night long" by acdc) you could knock them off!  thanks for the reply!

The magnet chat has put my mind to rest! I was starting to panic that I'd gone overboard.

I've been tempted to put the EMG Het Set into one of my ESPs, but I'm going to keep them as my motivation to blast on with the V. The pickup ring blanks worked out okay. I've managed to cut one that's 90x46.5mm, which might not give me quite enough. I'm going to use that one for the bridge, and make the second closer to 90x47.5mm without it being obviously wider to the untrained eye. Despite prototyping, I managed to forget what stage I'd reached before loading the proper blank in.

47967701557_a7459d9f36_b.jpgUntitled by S K, on Flickr

47967719038_958682626e_b.jpgUntitled by S K, on Flickr

47967701807_f28a70912e_b.jpgUntitled by S K, on Flickr

They're cut to 5mm depth, giving enough meat to run a profiler along after some careful trimming.

22 hours ago, mistermikev said:

What kind of robot do you have?

This my robot "StuToo":

47973844638_6cd2911424_b.jpgUntitled by S K, on Flickr

47973845393_0f67ffe3d4_b.jpgUntitled by S K, on Flickr

He was from a cheap entry-level kit on Amazon. I gave him a new lease of life by extending the working area, replacing the chuck, and upgrading a couple of motors.

11 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

The sandwich sure adds strength. Did you put any of the layers cross grain to prevent cracking?

Yep! The maple and ebony are running perpendicular to the wenge beneath. I tried to make the sides a little wider too, hoping that would add strength.

8 hours ago, ADFinlayson said:

that ring looks awesome. When you mentioned custom ring for the neck before, I imagined something like this - makes me think of SGs

I hadn't even thought about that, nice shout! My head stays firmly inside the box sometimes.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stu. said:

This my robot "StuToo":

47973844638_6cd2911424_b.jpgUntitled by S K, on Flickr

47973845393_0f67ffe3d4_b.jpgUntitled by S K, on Flickr

He was from a cheap entry-level kit on Amazon. I gave him a new lease of life by extending the working area, replacing the chuck, and upgrading a couple of motors.

Yep! The maple and ebony are running perpendicular to the wenge beneath. I tried to make the sides a little wider too, hoping that would add strength.

I hadn't even thought about that, nice shout! My head stays firmly inside the box sometimes.

dang you got robot skillz.  envious! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Prepare for a very dry update!

The first pickup ring is basically ready to go, apart from tidying up one screw countersink, and I'll cut the 3º angle in when I have both ready.

I took more photos than this post deserves:

48075414233_2574ebbc9b_b.jpgUntitled by S K, on Flickr

48075494047_f0b4b9d7e9_b.jpgUntitled by S K, on Flickr

48075412498_6d00a812f7_b.jpgUntitled by S K, on Flickr

48075430298_b456572c1c_b.jpgUntitled by S K, on Flickr

48075413343_34dd9b9d88_b.jpgUntitled by S K, on Flickr

48075429448_18c452ea30_b.jpgUntitled by S K, on Flickr

48075413773_59ac836ef9_b.jpgUntitled by S K, on Flickr

48075411973_8254595a36_b.jpgUntitled by S K, on Flickr

48075411183_c80b1375e5_b.jpgUntitled by S K, on Flickr

48075362036_83dd35160d_b.jpgUntitled by S K, on Flickr

48075475132_f818d04e58_b.jpgUntitled by S K, on Flickr

48075414143_6bccfffe3b_b.jpgUntitled by S K, on Flickr

48075409538_2f06676507_b.jpgUntitled by S K, on Flickr

• Like 3

Sooo purdy! And the cross laminating makes it sturdy as well! And the yummy contrasting veneer in between!

And it's the minuscule things that are the most difficult to explain without a dozen photos. Everyone knows where to put the neck but hiding the pickup feet is not that clear.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, these pickup rings have turned out to be more challenging than I expected*!

They've been pretty easy to work with, but the ebony is causing the wenge to warp pretty badly. One has just bent a little, and the other has cracked along the short grain of the wenge. We'll see what happens when I cut them down to size! They look neat though...

48225692822_7bc6e520fd_b.jpgUntitled by S K, on Flickr

48225640896_bdae0f003c_b.jpgUntitled by S K, on Flickr

*This describes almost everything I've attempted with guitar building😂

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Stu. said:

the ebony is causing the wenge to warp pretty badly

Hmm... The rings I made using the same design are still intact somewhere in a scrap box. One difference, though: I only used two species of wood, walnut slats with a 0.5 mm birch veneer in between identically to those you made. They all had been cut to thickness a long time ago so they were perfectly stabile. For what I've seen especially ebony fretboard blanks can be dripping moist when they come from a wood supplier.

• Like 1

Just dropping by whilst I have time to collect my thoughts. First thing I noticed....are those glued up with the grain in opposing directions? Even Ebony moves, so it wouldn't surprise me if you got warping and even cracks from differential movement. They're small items though, so as long as they aren't going crazy you should be okay. Things like this benefit from being less solid material with as much interruption in the growth ring cross section as possible. That's where forces are developed from movement.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Prostheta said:

are those glued up with the grain in opposing directions?

On 5/31/2019 at 9:36 PM, Stu. said:

• Like 1

I've been a bit out of it recently, not been able to follow the thread as closely as I would like. Wooden rings are always a bit sketchy whether it's weakness by following best practice (single grain direction) or warping by laminating across it.

• Like 1