Solly’s Guitar build diary

On 2/4/2018 at 10:26 PM, SOLLYGTRS said:

Now for the one I finished. The unique this on this one is the neck radius. It’s 6.5. I had a 58 Strat with a 7.25 inch radius and though why not try some even rounder. 

This also is the debut of my new headstock logo.

FD5B4F9B-E151-47F0-9D43-7B7A618357B3.png

08CEB27B-4149-41C3-ADD5-987668ACCD6E.png

459D64F8-C55A-4F87-885A-6E216713CC1A.png

BE468030-2DB7-4D83-9EF6-92232EA22ADC.png

6ED5AEA6-86D2-413B-A74A-83A0C251E582.png

156B5787-A31A-4BD6-85E6-BB0B04D384FE.png

9FF150B0-007F-4BC8-A19A-D3393D607C73.png

That's a sexy looking head stock and logo.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This last guitar has been very frustrating. While it is easily the best looking of my builds so far, it's turning out to be the least functional. I bolted the neck on yesterday and put both E strings on to check alignment. The low E immediately falls off the side of the neck and never returns. I shimmed the neck to get it back to being 'ok', but I'm not satisfied at all with this build.

I wanted a decked Floyd without the recess, but the strings seem like they hover a foot above the guitar body, The nut route was cut too deep and needs to be shimmed higher to get clearance for the first fret. While the pole pieces of the bridge pickup align perfectly with the strings, the neck pickup is off about 3mm.

I really took my time and made sure everything was square, but it's looking like I have a really nice blue piece of firewood for next winter. This one may go into the corner and sit while I push forward on my next build.

As far as playability goes, my first build was my best and I've gone down hill since. It's very frustrating!

Edited by SOLLYGTRS

• 2 weeks later...

Here my current builds. The blue guitar is sitting mostly untouched as I’m still a little frustrated at how it was turning out.

The Tru oiled neck on my new build is the best I’ve built so far. It’s a tad to thick for my liking though and will need to be carved a little more

3232B5D0-BAB3-4ABC-AB85-D0C37D7268D0.png

EB3200E2-A877-4319-BA52-F30F248FF5B3.png

29C8B3C3-FD7E-48F8-8BAE-2925E2DCB347.png

On 03/03/2018 at 12:18 AM, SOLLYGTRS said:

really took my time and made sure everything was square, but it's looking like I have a really nice blue piece of firewood for next winter. This one may go into the corner and sit while I push forward on my next build.

Don't get too hung up on the negatives on a build. Everyone makes dud ones. Just set it aside for a bit and treat it as the next project for a rainy day.

You've always got the option of using it as a training ground for correcting past mistakes - learn how to recut a neck pocket by filling and re-routing, learn how to remove frets, learn how to steam off a fretboard to get the trussrod out, take notes on what the correct depth the locking nut shelf should be for next time, work out what the correct neck angle should be for a flush-mounted Floyd etc.

6 hours ago, curtisa said:

Don't get too hung up on the negatives on a build. Everyone makes dud ones. Just set it aside for a bit and treat it as the next project for a rainy day.

You've always got the option of using it as a training ground for correcting past mistakes - learn how to recut a neck pocket by filling and re-routing, learn how to remove frets, learn how to steam off a fretboard to get the trussrod out, take notes on what the correct depth the locking nut shelf should be for next time, work out what the correct neck angle should be for a flush-mounted Floyd etc.

Thanks, That's pretty much what I've been doing to it. I'll get back to it one day. I have several directions that I can go to correct the problems. I just haven't picked which way to go with it.

• 2 weeks later...