Solly’s Guitar build diary

Hi guys! I’ve been following this forums for a while now. I really appreciate all the knowledge that has been on here. It has helped me a lot.

My first two builds were not up to the standards that many of you have shown, but I did learn a lot. I had limited tools on hand. In fact, I built both guitars with three tools: jig saw, router, power drill.

I need to prove to myself that I could build a guitar that was functional before investing in more expensive tools.

Below is a pic of my first build.

IMG_0039.JPG

My current build will be a modern version of o rod my favorite guitars that I owned as a kid. It was an Ibanez RG550. I’ve own much more expensive guitars including a 58 Custom Shop Strat that I currently own, but if I could have my RG550 back, I’d trade them all.

Below are a couple of pics of the ash body that I’ve build so far. 

IMG_0042.JPG.f6c3e71662d43bf02d91ecb72a935a63.JPGIMG_0040.JPG.8af6b51ec6d1ad88de2aa2d1d2af5fbe.JPG

I got some work done this weekend. I finished up my 2nd neck and I did some carving on my body. 

The neck is wormy maple. I love the knots and colors that the worms make. I did have to fill one hole on the back of the headstock. It’s going on a tele body someone gave me.

The body is ash, but it seems to have some slight flaming in places. I’ve never noticed this on ash before, but I’m new to this stuff so I’m sure you guys will enlighten me.

I did a little carving in it, but I had another question. Do guys that build these types of bodies do a round over on the edges? Maybe 1/8th?

502BE869-A572-4623-A3ED-82A7854E38D4.png

8E700D55-6134-4CC5-9836-67B0A4243FF8.png

A1BC3BED-9248-4E4A-833E-B6A9F8BF6684.png

Edited by SOLLYGTRS
  • Like 1

Yeah there can be flames in ash or oak or what not, I think it looks great. I have few flamed ash veneers on my thread that might be going on top of my guitars.

11 hours ago, SOLLYGTRS said:

I did a little carving in it, but I had another question. Do guys that build these types of bodies do a round over on the edges? Maybe 1/8th?

I have done my roundings with 3mm radius bit (roughly 1/8th), It feels great in my hands and looks nice also. But there is that one ancient Ibanez drawing from the stone age lingering around web and it says that those edges are rounded with 2,5mm radius ( 1/10th).

Houli bools I can´t remember if "it" is with a capital letter or not.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Yeah there can be flames in ash or oak or what not, I think it looks great. I have few flamed ash veneers on my thread that might be going on top of my guitars.

I have done my roundings with 3mm radius bit (roughly 1/8th), It feels great in my hands and looks nice also. But there is that one ancient Ibanez drawing from the stone age lingering around web and it says that those edges are rounded with 2,5mm radius ( 1/10th).

Houli bools I can´t remember if "it" is with a capital letter or not.

I also would round the edges - even if a very tight radius as you and @Liquorice suggest.  Makes a big difference to the feel, it makes finishing easier (finish hates sharp edges), and it will be much less susceptible to damage.

I like the figuring on the neck :)

• Thanks 1

I agree, that's a great looking neck.

As far as whether it is okay to round over the edges and how much radius to use.....there are no rules in guitar building beyond making it structurally sound and getting the scale right. Do what pleases your eye and feels right in your hands.

SR

• Thanks 1

... then I got in too big of a hurry and tried to use the router to round off the edge on the back without clamping ( no router table yet)...

7A45DB16-6F68-4A95-A159-BD239BA2AAAD.thumb.png.704018b79dfd55e30838299491f31c7b.png

.... NO GOOD!!! Oh well a quick sawdust and glue mix filled it in, but now I guess I going to try my first burst finish on this one.

Edited by SOLLYGTRS

I’ve got my first scarf joint neck progressing. It’s been a little bit of a struggle, but it’s coming around.

The neck has a really heavy flame on the back. I’m hoping to have it fretted by the end of the weekend.

I ordered the pickups for it too. It’s going to have DiMarzio Super Distortion and a PAF Pro. Of course it will have a Floyd too to continue the theme.

The stuff around the nut area is a glue sawdust mixture to hide the veneer I overlayed. It will be sanded off of course.

if you guys see anything I’m doing wrong, let me know. I’m an absolute newb.

F2614DE2-39DA-4E89-9913-3EED1B4583FF.png

Edited by SOLLYGTRS

You appear to be having fun, and this stage is definitely fun.  Personally,  I would round your body by hand, and round more at the top horn to remove the router dig.  Utilize the dig as a design challenge.  

Next time you take a router to the top, like if you decided to use a larger radius roundover, cut scrap wood to fit around the guitar horns flush with the body face so that the router has solid support and doesn't drop over the end of the horn to dig further.  

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, StratsRdivine said:

You appear to be having fun, and this stage is definitely fun.  Personally,  I would round your body by hand, and round more at the top horn to remove the router dig.  Utilize the dig as a design challenge.  

Next time you take a router to the top, like if you decided to use a larger radius roundover, cut scrap wood to fit around the guitar horns flush with the body face so that the router has solid support and doesn't drop over the end of the horn to dig further.  

Thank you for tip on the router! I will certainly do that next time.

The gash on the horn was the backside. I was hoping to leave it on the flat side. I'll put a coat of sealer on it when the time comes to see how it looks. I may carver it out more if it patch-up stands out.

The body carve is almost done now. I didn't mean for it to happen, but it's basically the same carve that's on the PRS S2 Custom 22/24. That's not where I was going with this at all. This was supposed to be a Charvel/Jackson/JEM inspired type of deal, but I just carved too much.