Bay Wood Any Good?

Laurus nobilis or the Mediterranean Bay. Last weekend I cut down a 20' example and now have a number of substantial logs - certainly large enough for neck blanks/stringers. Is it likely to be any good? It seems to have a fairly tight grain, although fairly weighty. I can't find much information on t'Internet - a few people that have used it for turning, and a lot of links that refer to the Californian bay a.k.a. myrtle

If it's any good for guitar building, what's the best way to store it? Should I paint the cut ends and will that help to avoid splitting as it dries out?

1 hour ago, ScottR said:

That name gave me this page in hobbithouse:

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/laurel.htm

SR

So there's another name for it - Grecian laurel :D

Edit: It's actually the tree you get bay leaves from, the ones used in cooking. A neighbour pointed out that I have a fortune currently laying in my back garden - if they were dried, packaged and on a supermarket shelf! <_<

I think it would be a good experiment to save some of it. When you think of all the punky spalted stuff and porous burls that we build guitars out of just about any wood can be used (doesn't mean should). When I think of the commercial companies that use basswood for bodies.....that stuff is only half a step up from balsa wood. I'd paint the ends or dip them in paraffin and stack them so they get good airflow around them and see what you end up with in a year or so.

SR

• Like 1