Definitely. You've a lot of love for those D-style bridges eh, Natch? I do think they introduce a distinctive tonality compared to instruments with more flat neck-to-body geometry.

On 6/14/2018 at 2:17 PM, Norris said:

That's what I find therapeutic :D

Agreed. End grain is harder than face and side grain, so sanding out scratches until they become uniform needs nothing less than patience, favours obsession and if you're lucky....is therapeutic. I have to find the right moment in my week to tackle that sort of thing. It's not like it's a thankless task, but a tough and unforgiving one at times.....!

I genuinely think that their D-style bridges are something that's really been missing from the bass canon for a long time. I mean, I think they suit say, Thunderbirds or other angled neck basses really well. Stylish, eminently adjustable and not made from shitty pot metal or other crappy materials. The only thing I've grown to dislike is Hipshot's black finish. It's (more) environmentally-friendly than other black finishes however I find it a little fragile and easily-chipped on edges. How've you been getting on with them otherwise?

On 9/9/2018 at 8:28 AM, Prostheta said:

I genuinely think that their D-style bridges are something that's really been missing from the bass canon for a long time. I mean, I think they suit say, Thunderbirds or other angled neck basses really well. Stylish, eminently adjustable and not made from shitty pot metal or other crappy materials. The only thing I've grown to dislike is Hipshot's black finish. It's (more) environmentally-friendly than other black finishes however I find it a little fragile and easily-chipped on edges. How've you been getting on with them otherwise?

Pros -

I missed your question here previously. 

I agree about the finish- get anything metal near it and the finish will come off. The TOM style fits a need for sure- but honestly- I still love my bad ass bridges, sharp edges and all. big chunk of heavy metal and they just ring.  

Yikes, work is really getting in the way of me making timely responses!

As much as I like Hipshot, I do think that their black finish leaves a lot to be desired. As far as Bad Ass bridges go, I got a gold 5-string Kick-Ass bridge from Hipshot for the Ricky. The only thing I don't like about it is the 1st string's intonation bolt sites on the opposite side of the saddle to the other four. It doesn't seem obvious as to why this would be necessary, but hey.

i bought into the badass bridges without really knowing how "great" they were/are- I saw that Geddy Lee had one on one of his Rickys- then I saw a pic of Steve Harris with one on a P-Bass (or maybe an Ibanez Roadster(?) cant remember) and that sealed the deal. The local guitar shops always had them hanging on the wall with all the strings and such- they were basically the only replacement bridges that were (locally) available (this is way back when before the internet took off). My only gripe about them is that often it was clear they didnt QC the product before sending out- you sometimes had to file or fine sandpaper some of the edges least you rip your hand open while failing around trying to play wrathchild and such. the old ones anyway- heavy as hell but really made a difference.

Lets not mention Gold in case Rad is reading this.:-)

I havent seen the Kick Ass bridge yet- will have to look it up. I still havent recovered from Bad Ass not being available anymore- to the point of considering fleabay purchases.