Stratocaster build

Ok, so after my phoenix build I'm kind of "clearing my palate" with a much simpler build. I have a love of Strats since I was a kid and have actually built more of these than any other guitar. This one will be a typical Strat in most respects.

One-piece swamp ash body,

Hard maple neck,

25.5" scale length

22 Stainless steel frets

12" radius (because this one is for me and I like 12")

Indian rosewood fretboard

white MOP dot inlays

Schaller tuning machines

Gotoh hard tail bridge

Unbleached bone nut

CTS pots (250k and orange drop caps)

Pickups are HHS, and all Seymour Duncan. Hot Rails in the bridge, Cool rails in the middle, and an SSL-1 vintage staggered at the neck.

The only other non-standard bit is carbon fiber rods in the neck. Not that a good maple neck needs carbon fiber, but I've found that the necks are far less subject to temp and humidity changes and rarely ever need any tweaking once you have them set the way you want, so I use em even in maple necks.

so heres the neck in the planer after I already flattened the other side and one edge on my jointer...

mike-neck6.jpg

mike-neck8.jpg

mike-neck9.jpg

mike-neck12.jpg

So jumping back to the body, this is pretty straightforward. Plane it down to the appropriate thickness...

Mike-body30.jpg

Standard thickness for a Strat is 1.75", I leave it a touch overwised to allow for sanding later

Mike-body31.jpg

trace the outline (shown at the top post) and cut it on the band saw

Mike-body34.jpg

Attach the template and route the body

Mike-body37.jpg

Mike-body38.jpg

Mike-body39.jpg

herky17.jpg

Jumping ahead a little, I re-attach the routing template and route out the body cavities, and neck pocket, and put the roundover on the edge.

Neck pocket is 5/8" deep, pickup routing is 3/4" inch deep, and the control section and output jack area are 1 1/2" deep.

I use a 7/16" roundover for the edge.

mike-strat-body38.jpg

mike-strat-body39.jpg

Cr-strat4-17.jpg

I use my edge sander to rough in the belly and arm carves

mike-belly19.jpg

Drill holes for the neck attachment and that pretty much wraps up the body...

Cl-strat19.jpg

Cl-strat18.jpg

Cl-strat20.jpg

• Like 1

back to the neck, I'm definitely missing some chunks of time in this section. Here is my neck blank after routing the blank out, installing the carbon fiber rods and truss rod. I use my router table and fence to cut the channels while the blank is still square. Easy peasey.

neckie-hner.jpg

obviously I'm, using a spoke nut TR with access at the heel...

neckie-hner2.jpg

Fretboard is a nice piece of indian rosewood. I plane the blanks dow to just over 1/4"

mike-fb17.jpg

mike-fb19.jpg

use my radius jig to put a radius on the board...

mike-fb21.jpg

mike-fb22.jpg

Fret slotting jig on my table saw...

mike-fb39.jpg

I made a couple at this time...

mike-fb43.jpg

a quick sand takes all the router marks off...

mike-fbsand17.jpg

voila!

mike-fbsand19.jpg

49 minutes ago, Skyjerk said:

no actually that photo is it. Its all done. what do you guys think? I'm gonna enter it in Feb GOTM :)

Classic lines, lovely piece of ash....the scale might be a tad short.:D

And then you throw in a set of pictures that makes me think if this is under-documented, what does a detailed build look like?:blink:

SR

• Like 1

OK, again I missed a chunk here. Sorry for the holes in the build. My next move was to rough trim the fretboard to approximately the right width, leaving a touch of overhandm, and then glue and clamp the fretboard in my vacuum press.

Then I trim off the overhang on my router table to make a nice flush edge. I thickness the headstock down to 9/16" on my band saw, and then sand in the transition from headstock to fretboard using my spindle sander. I set up a fence on the spindle sander thats a hair over 9/16" from the spindle and slowly feed the neck into the space and it sands the transition perfectly.

stockie20.jpg

Install dots. This is pretty straightforward. Drill out 7mm holes, and glue in 7mm MOP dots I bought from custominlay. Sand them flush once the glu is hard.

stockie21.jpg

I actually file in the access to the TR adjustment before I glue the board on...

stockie19.jpg

again, a big missing piece. Neck carving.

I generally use a tool called a Holey Galahad on an angle grinder to rough in the shape, and then refine it using dragon hand cut rasps, and finish it with increasing grits of sand paper.

Then install the frets.

So that jumps us to here:

cl-strat-neck17.jpg

cl-strat-neck18.jpg

cl-strat-neck19.jpg

cl-strat-neck20.jpg

cl-strat-neck21.jpg

So at this point, with the body and neck built, thats 99% of the work. The rest is hooking stuff up and seeing how  she plays, which I've done and heres some pix of where its at today.

I'm super happy with the outcome. This will get finished in a traditional tobacco burst once it warms up enough to shoot,

but of course I wasnt gonna wait that long to play it!

I'm super happy with the playability, even though I havent done the fretwork yet. The tones are exactly what I wanted. the neck pup is classic Strat tone, and the middle and bridg pickups absolutely scream :)

Being a hard tail with a really stiff neck, the sustain is fantastic. The guitar just "thrums" end to end when you strum a chord :)

I will update this thread again when I shoot the finish, and again once I've sanded, buffed, and wrapped it up :)

Also note the neck plate. I had a few of these made up with the same phoenix that I used on the fretboard of my phoenix build. I'm making this part of my logo.

the headstock will feature the same "Addict" logo in Fender=style font that I used on my previous Strat build. This pic here is from my last build to show the headstock logo...

mcstrat21.jpg

and this is where this current build stands right now...

cl-strat-back-unfin18.jpg

cl-strat-back-unfin17.jpg

cl-strat-back-unfin19.jpg

cl-strat-back-unfin20.jpg

cl-strat-back-unfin21.jpg

cl-strat-back-unfin22.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ScottR said:

Sweet! The phoenix is a nice touch.

You gotta love what happens to strongly grained wood when you cut angles across the grain.

SR

Yup!

Its definitely the nicest piece of swamp ash I've ever had. When I finish this guy I'm gonna keep the burst fairly close to the edge because I want a lot of that grain to show...

1 hour ago, pan_kara said:

a really nice no-nonsense strat build. I agree about that swamp ash piece. Super pretty.

Yeah, in the new and different department this build doesnt really stack up next to my last build, but I honestly love Strats and after a build with a much higher degree of difficulty I really enjoyed the simplicity of this build.

Next build will be back to the harder stuff :)