Opinions on Design Direction

ZekeB

Are you drawing on your contour lines first? It's worth doing that even if you have to do it several times until you're happy. I'm doing a contoured singlecut and my first step is going to be to do a small shelf from tip to tip defining the lowest point at the edges, then doing a binding channel in there. Not sure if this helps you, however it's the way I'm going with this.

Trying to catch up on post.  Cut the control cavity and civer and carved the top.  Speed is not my forte on carving.  Took me a few nights carving up away from the binding channels I don't nick it.  I did end up drawing the contour lines like you said.  Thanks for the advice.  I've got lots of sanding and refine to do on the shape but here it is.

20180707_075751.jpg

I think i may taper off the back a little more.  I'll wait to see what it looks like sanded.  Seems like there's a lot of void area there.  Maybe sanding in the curve will help.  The bridge will also help.  Maybe I'm focusing on the pickup area.

Edited by ZekeB

1 hour ago, ZekeB said:

Trying to catch up on post.  Cut the control cavity and civer and carved the top.  Speed is not my forte on carving.  Took me a few nights carving up away from the binding channels I don't nick it.  I did end up drawing the contour lines like you said.  Thanks for the advice.  I've got lots of sanding and refine to do on the shape but here it is.

20180707_075751.jpg

Look at you go!

Nice. You may wish you carved a little closer to the innermost contour line  (maybe split the difference)...but I understand the fear of taking a chip too deep.

Shallow cuts rule in that area.

SR

5 hours ago, Prostheta said:

You've got all the right skills, that's clear. Using light makes everything a magnitude better, however I'm sure I don't need to tell you that. 😉

Thanks for the kind words.  I'm thankful to have a strong community to learn from and help me get things right the first time.  I can see how trial and error on your own could be a very long agrivating endeavor. 

On 7/9/2018 at 8:38 AM, ZekeB said:

Thanks for the kind words.  I'm thankful to have a strong community to learn from and help me get things right the first time.  I can see how trial and error on your own could be a very long agrivating endeavor. 

But great learning experiences!

Definitely this. If you're capable of taking something from everything then you're always going to be working in an upwards direction. Trial and error is the same as hit and miss. You'll get something every once in a while, however you often don't know what you missed and why.

These should be sharp looking and I like the inner-outer sleeve concept. Are you planning on using splined shafts on the pots? A set screw would be problematic...

The tiny inlay work would make me crazy....I'm looking forward to seeing you pull it off.

SR

I think that producing the outer Mahogany shell will be extremely difficult and/or impractical without supporting the grain from the inside when cutting the outside or vice versa. I would be inclined to use grub screws to secure the knob at the correct height so it's adjustable as a unit rather than relying on the nut/washer to provide height setting. This friction might also make the knob feel sticky in use, and likely inconsistent around its range as that friction varies.

1 minute ago, ScottR said:

These should be sharp looking and I like the inner-outer sleeve concept. Are you planning on using splined shafts on the pots? A set screw would be problematic...

The tiny inlay work would make me crazy....I'm looking forward to seeing you pull it off.

SR

Replied as I was typing as usual, Scott! I disagree about set screws if it's about getting a thread established. The inner core should be made from some material that holds a better thread anyway. Maybe an engineering plastic.

2 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Replied as I was typing as usual, Scott! I disagree about set screws if it's about getting a thread established. The inner core should be made from some material that holds a better thread anyway. Maybe an engineering plastic.

I was thinking in terms of setting up a set screw in advance. It would have to be threaded through both sleeves and that would eliminate the usefulness of being able to slide them up or down to set the height. I suppose the height could be set first and then the hole drilled and threaded for a set screw.

SR

2 hours ago, Prostheta said:

I think that producing the outer Mahogany shell will be extremely difficult and/or impractical without supporting the grain from the inside when cutting the outside or vice versa. I would be inclined to use grub screws to secure the knob at the correct height so it's adjustable as a unit rather than relying on the nut/washer to provide height setting. This friction might also make the knob feel sticky in use, and likely inconsistent around its range as that friction varies.

I've got a plan for this.  I've made some sleeves in the past and made a little jig.  Its two cone looking pieces that have a open bolt between the two.  I put my piece around the bolt and just tighten it down before i put it on the lathe.  I like the idea with the grub screw.

Been thinking about this all day.  I thought about using a collet on the top cap but I want it to be low profile.  I don't want to use some type of plastic on the inside.  Didn't want the set screw to show and it needs to be functional.  I've done something similar with a chess set piece I made.  I know its a bit involved for a knob but I got time to kill and I think it will be pretty cool.    

image.png