Opinions on Design Direction

ZekeB

• 4 weeks later...

Been trying different things, techniques before I do the neck.  Built all my jigs, got my supplies now.  Here's my prototype compound radius jig.  12" to 15.5".  Reason for the weird 15.5" is I wanted to be equal the ratio of string spacing.  In theory its the right amount of radius for my nut to bridge width change.  If anything it was challenging.  Remade my lathe jig for my knobs too.  My old one didn't work for how small they were so I made a new one.  Here's a pic of the compound radius jig. 

20180806_235020 (1).jpg

Edited by ZekeB
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

sorry I've been away for a while with work.  Working on my project has been slow at night but I'm getting pretty far into it now.  I guess the fast forward version of the project is everything has been going pretty good.  I think a lot of it is I has to do with having time to think about whats next since I'm doing so little at a time.  I did change the electronic setup.   I"m going to use a 10 position freeway blade switch and a push/pull pot as a kill switch.  I'll be using that pull function like a standby switch.

My knobs did not turn out the way I had hoped with the sleeve.  I think I'll perfect it on the next build but honestly I just wanted to move forward with the guitar for now.  I do have a plan for the future but for now I made some mahogony knobs with the same gold mother of pearl inlays on top.  I'll paint those knobs most likely black with the color scheme.

Image may contain: people sitting and indoor

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So decided to go another direction with the color.  Made lots and lots of samples and I ended up going with blue.  I in turn also decided to bind the headstock plate and make pickup ring covers out of some extra mahogany I had.  Was fairly successful but one of my holes was a little to close to the edge so i have to make a new one.  I'm also up to knob design 4 now.  Still haven't chosen one I've liked.  I know I want it to match the guitar in either the mahogany or the gold.  Not sure yet.  20181127_061217.thumb.jpg.033226d7043fea1456966b6e5afa136b.jpglol,  just noticed my pics are going through all the seasons.  Well, this one includes a fair amount of dog hair too!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ZekeB said:

I am all ears.  Couldn't find his post if he made one. 

In the meantime I shot another coat and I'm going to let it cure while I get everything ready for final assembly.  

Hi

I did a tutorial on it here.  

I talk about the dreaded witness lines towards the end.  I'll check to see if I suggested how to avoid them!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm waiting for the poly to cure at this point.  been working on fine tuning all the little stuff like knobs and remade the pickup ring covers again.  Getting better at it.  Just routed out the middle on the table router and cut the outside with a dozuki saw and sanded them down.

Just read Skyjerk's build thread and realized the black got washed out trying to dye the blue in.  Really good thread full of information, as are many of these.  

Really trying to refine the balance on the top.  Going to keep the Mahogany items a matte against the gloss of the maple.  Also going to put a gold cap on the toggle switch to even it out a little more. 

20181222_213813.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok.  Got it wired up and sounds beautiful.  I’m taking a long approach to finishing this.  I’m going to play it for a while and come back and spruce up some things.   I wanted to have a finished project I want to take notes to see how it plays and make those changes as well.   Still need to at some cosmetic things like my bridge gold screws and fix my inlay for the truss rod cover.   Also going to add a matte sheen to the knobs and covers to help bring it together a little more.      

Regardless im stoked to have a guitar I built and already have plans for the next. Thank you guys so much for the help.   I’ll get some better pictures soon but in the meantime here’s some good ole fashion iPad pics.

Heres the Mako I

C1D6E5B4-CB31-4909-ACAB-7C9433BCFFCD.thumb.jpeg.58269c5f86529d2c296ee9791da19b10.jpeg28E37283-E796-4C67-89E3-5FC71D2CD0E7.thumb.jpeg.859bb9b24e0a0011fe76e1c4b1f50d38.jpegE80C0130-2E9A-46F1-B72A-2114BAD00F2E.thumb.jpeg.7b11e289055856487a826a05305ab925.jpeg

• Like 3