Opinions on Design Direction

ZekeB

Well covers didn't work out.  I trimmed them out and will finish them tomorrow.  Really bummed about that.  The height was ok but the corner of my hand hit the edge on the down stroke and I wanted to raise the pickups just a tad more. 

On the bright side it's the best feeling neck I've got so far.  The key seemed to be giving it just.a tad bow so the action can set a little lower.  .05" to .o6"  at the 17th fret seems to be the sweet spot.  

that's a shame they are pretty sweet looking.  perhaps you can trim em down a bit?  that's the thing about doing things that are innovative and experimental... sometimes you have to do it a few times!  "things I did not know at first I learned by doing twice" billy joel. 

neck.. yes a little relief is required as the strings move the most at their halfway point and if you compensate for that with the neck you can move them a bit closer.  probably not telling you anything you didn't know but honestly, as a younger man i always thought you wanted a straight neck... folks at the music shop always sayin "yup, she's straight as an arrow" kind of misled me!

Covers can be a bit tricky - especially ones that cover the whole chamber.

How thick are the tops of the covers?  If the wood is tight grained enough you should be able to get down to 1mm thickness.

What I would then do nowadays (having tried and failed a number of times before) to get it as low as is reasonably practical is:

•  to set up the guitar without covers to set the pickup heights
  • Pop a 1mm packer inside the chamber
  • Sand the bottom on a flat sanding block, trying the cover frequently
  • Continue until the cover won't quite bottom because it's riding on the poles
  • Remove the packer and fix the covers which should now bottom again fully on the body