fretfind2d multiscale help! rhino beginner help!

guitarjunkie87

hi peeps I've just joined the site and i could do with some complete noob help.

right i have this design and a few different versions of it (different perpendicular fret positioning)

im having a real hard time working out how to determine the bridge angle from fretfind2d information, what calculations do i do and where do i find the exact numbers i need to for this?

i will be using a 7 string hipshot multiscale hardtail bridge and i'm stuck not being able to figure out whether i need the 11, 18, 21 or 26 degree bridge.

i imagine this is a stupid thing but i haven't done much math properly in about 16 years so i'm just stuck on stupid and need some advice lol.

once i know how to do the calculations for my bridge angle i can do the rest and become familiar with the routine.

i appreciate any help you guys can give me.

26-27.5 scale perpendicular fret - 12 - 30 frets.pdf

If you have Rhino why are you still using Fretfind2D...?

Here's how I do multi-scales in Rhino:

1- Go to the stewmac site and use their fret calculator to find the distances for some common scale length (25, 25.5, whatever)

2- Plot those out on a line with dots for each fret and the bridge location

3- You can now use the "Scale" command to make any scale length you want by changing the scale between the nut point and the bridge point

4- For a multi-scale draw a line to your desired width for the perpendicular fret's string width (not fretboard width)

5- Draw lines at your nut for desired string spacing at nut

6- Place your two desired scales at the ends of your perpendicular-fret line

7- Use the rotate command to rotate each scale around the point where it hits the perpendicular-fret-line and rotate it until the nut-end is in the desired place

8- Finish drawing your fretboard

Chris

29 minutes ago, verhoevenc said:

If you have Rhino why are you still using Fretfind2D...?

Here's how I do multi-scales in Rhino:

1- Go to the stewmac site and use their fret calculator to find the distances for some common scale length (25, 25.5, whatever)

2- Plot those out on a line with dots for each fret and the bridge location

3- You can now use the "Scale" command to make any scale length you want by changing the scale between the nut point and the bridge point

4- For a multi-scale draw a line to your desired width for the perpendicular fret's string width (not fretboard width)

5- Draw lines at your nut for desired string spacing at nut

6- Place your two desired scales at the ends of your perpendicular-fret line

7- Use the rotate command to rotate each scale around the point where it hits the perpendicular-fret-line and rotate it until the nut-end is in the desired place

8- Finish drawing your fretboard

Chris

It's mainly I'm using it as It's an easy way to get the basic fretboard shapes done.

I really appreciate this information though and I shall give it a go now, I've had rhino for a few days so it's still quite alien to mme.jusr a question Chris while your about, how do i set an object to snap at 90 degrees intervals when rotating?

I still have a lot of things to look up but this would be super useful to start doing.

Thanks again

Ben

Edited by guitarjunkie87

I'm with Chris on this one as I don't use FretFind2D either. It's provided on the site as an easy route into designing multiscales however once you start working with any CAD package deeply, integrating multiscales from the ground up based on say, bridge geometry or other constraints makes for a more cohesive design. We're doing a live CAD stream very very soon on this exact subject, which might be a little late for your work but is definitely something a lot of people have been asking me about.

2 hours ago, Prostheta said:

I'm with Chris on this one as I don't use FretFind2D either. It's provided on the site as an easy route into designing multiscales however once you start working with any CAD package deeply, integrating multiscales from the ground up based on say, bridge geometry or other constraints makes for a more cohesive design. We're doing a live CAD stream very very soon on this exact subject, which might be a little late for your work but is definitely something a lot of people have been asking me about.

Yeh tbh once I've gotten used to using rhino it'll be easier for me to not use FretFind2D anymore.

I'm definitely In2in that live stream,  do you have a set date? Even if I have finished doing my stuff I'll still watch as I'm sure I will learn some interesting things.

Thabks for you response.

Ben

I've got to find a bit of time to practice how to get the stream done smoothly without any hitches. It'll be a desktop stream with voiceover and a bit of chat. Since it's meant as a permanent record on the process, I'm going to try and keep it "on-script" so as not to generate a huge long video.

15 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

I've got to find a bit of time to practice how to get the stream done smoothly without any hitches. It'll be a desktop stream with voiceover and a bit of chat. Since it's meant as a permanent record on the process, I'm going to try and keep it "on-script" so as not to generate a huge long video.

That's great, I'll keep an eye out for it as I will be definitely wanna watch it.

Cheers

Ben