Hello everyone!
Just finished building my first guitar body and wanted to hear any feedback that you experts have! :)

I started this project last fall (2017) and worked on it in my spare time throughout the fall and into the winter. It was slow-going, but I have finally found time to get it finished!

It is solid Swamp Ash, with gold hardware purchased from various websites, and a creme-colored split-style pick guard. 

The dyes I used are the powdered alcohol-based dyes from Reranch. I chose their "yellow" and "extra dark walnut". It's common to find sunburst guitars, but I felt like I don't often see any line-style gradients, so I chose to do that for my staining. What you see is a light golden yellow fading into the darker brown horizontally. I applied the dyes with a spray gun on an air compressor.

The gloss coat on this is Polyurethane, as I was told it's the easiest to apply for a first-timer. I think maybe a nitrocellulose might have looked even better on this guitar, but it sounded like it was much more difficult to do a good job with that, as opposed to polyurethane, but I have absolutely no complaints with my polyurethane coating on this.

It is equipped with a single dog-ear style P90 pickup that I got it used from a friend out of his Gibson LesPaul Jr. for a good price. Since it came from a friend, I already knew how it sounded and knew it was in good condition, so I had no problem buying it used. I chose to install only 1 pickup because I have always loved the look of single-pickup guitars, and also because the wiring would be simpler for my first time configuring anything like this. 

I took a risk by purchasing a used Squier Jaguar neck from Reverb. My intent was/is to eventually build my own neck, but for now, this neck actually plays and feels MUCH better than I had anticipated. It is straight as an arrow and is surprisingly comfortable, so I'm very happy with this for the time being. The action is set comfortably low and it all feels just right. 

I would love to hear any feedback if anyone has any!

Thank you!

gT0SZI1.jpg
QhsPhdh.jpg
vSYd4p4.jpg
GN4Z4WO.jpg
UrEdjcE.jpg
uoSXkK3.jpg
6Pkttma.jpg

• Like 1

Pretty cool build. I'm an offset fan so this is up my alley. But from a deisgn perspective I'd recommend a few things to explore:

1- Your treble-side horn does not fit the rest of the body, I'd look at a re-design there

2- Your pickguard on the upper horn doesn't keep equidistant from the edge near the nec (which can sometimes work, but it doesn't here). My guess is because you're trying to maintain the "curve" visually coming in from the pickguard on the bass side. GREAT design decision... but the recommendation I'd make is to (like point #1) modify the horn so that you both maintain that line as well as keep equidistant.

3- There's an almost "flat section" at the very tail-end of the pickguard. I'd suggest rounding that out more elegantly in either a CAD program, or if by or utilize a French curve.

Keep up the fun!

Chris