JimF's First Build!

Hi All,

I'm starting a build thread mainly to keep track of my progress and also for hints & tips if anyone stops me going wrong somewhere, and encouragement if I get disheartened!

As per the title, this is my first build from scratch. Like everyone else I've done a few parts builds, but I've also got experience with woodwork from a little knifemaking sideline I've done until changing jobs recently. For those who are interested, here are some pics: 

24v5stg.jpg

2yytu94.jpg

1zqsydh.jpg

33wm5q9.jpg

2qbf38w.jpg

i38l05.jpg

Back to the case in hand!

I'm building the following:

6 string Blackmachine type guitar

Tulip Poplar body

Maple top (below average figuring)

Padauk neck with wenge centre strip & white laminates (0.6mm thick), scarf joint into headstock.

Ebony ferret

Fixed Hipshot-style bridge

Locking tuners

Still undecided on pickups, I have a single Sentient, but I fancy white/zebra pups in this build so am toying with the idea of a set of Irongear pickups. For the price I don't think I can go wrong.

Colour and finish wise I'll be going for an unfinished neck, oiled body and stained top. Haven't decided whether to go for oiled satin finish on the top or wipe on poly buffed to a high gloss. Colour will be a light brown/dark amber non burst.

I'm cheating with this build as I have bought a pre-slotted, pre-radiused fretboard, and I'll be using router templates 

On to pics!

Router templates from http://www.templatesandjigs.com/ 

IMG_1113.jpg

Photos from the eBay listing of the top wood:

IMG_1033.jpg

This is the type of finish I'm aiming for colour wise:

IMG_1915.jpg

Pics of the raw materials:

DSC_2590.jpg

DSC_2591.jpg

DSC_2592.jpg

DSC_2593.jpg

DSC_2594.jpg

DSC_2595.jpg

DSC_2596.jpg

DSC_2600.jpg

Looking forward to getting started in the coming weeks!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JimF said:

Still undecided on pickups, I have a single Sentient, but I fancy white/zebra pups in this build so am toying with the idea of a set of Irongear pickups. For the price I don't think I can go wrong.

I reckon you'll be more than happy with Irongear. For the price of a dinner at your local they're hard to beat.

2 hours ago, JimF said:

I'm cheating with this build as I have bought a pre-slotted, pre-radiused fretboard, and I'll be using router templates 

That's hardly cheating. You've still got to chop all the woody bits to the right shape and do that joiny-gluey thing to stick them together properly.

2 hours ago, JimF said:

Ebony ferret

I hope you asked his permission first ;):D

• Like 2

Nice assortment of materials you have there. Keep an eye on that tulipwood. It can be soft in places and needs care not to chew itself up when you route. Slow and steady will get you there though. 

Templates are not cheating and a preslotted board isn’t a bad thing for your first build. 

Good luck and prepare to be bitten by the build bug!

• Like 1

On 17/03/2018 at 6:29 PM, JimF said:

Cheating? That's some smart outsourcing in my eyes :lol: If you're short on time, it's worth spending the extra £15-20 to have the board slotted and radiused. You'll need to check the slot depths and polish the board up, but it'll give you more confidence. Everyone uses router templates too; only real thrillseekers go freehand!

Oh, and IronGear pickups are excellent, especially for the price.

Pace yourself and enjoy the ride!

• Thanks 1

I have to admit I did wonder if the slots were deep enough, but we shall cross that bridge when we arrive at it!

I have broken down the whole build process in my head, and (I may regret saying this but) the whole guitar building thing seems not so much complicated, but a series of relatively straight forward but highly accurate tasks!

• Like 1

Hey JimF. Taking the plunge? Go for it mate :) You look all set and plenty of support here should you need it.

Ditto on the templates and pre-slotted fretboard... Use those myself. 

Look forward to seeing this progress into a work of art. Nice knife handles too!

15 hours ago, KempGuitars said:

Hey JimF. Taking the plunge? Go for it mate :) You look all set and plenty of support here should you need it.

Ditto on the templates and pre-slotted fretboard... Use those myself. 

Look forward to seeing this progress into a work of art. Nice knife handles too!

Thanks! Flattered you like the knives! Means a lot coming from you. 

I just need my own Lion Blanket ™️ now!

• 3 weeks later...

You're gluing Padauk and Wenge into a laminated neck? Information I can see with a five minute search is that Padauk may be the most troublesome of the two, but PVA should work provided the glue is fresh. Wiping the surface of the Padauk prior to gluing with acetone to remove any potential oily residue may also assist the adhesion.

If in doubt, do a test on an offcut of each to see how well it holds together.

Thanks! I’ve been searching too and have already bought the acetone and also some 0.6mm veneer to help the two adhere to each other. 

As long as white PVA wood glue will ok I think I’m good to go! :hyper

test glue is a fantastic idea. I’ll try that shortly. 

• 1 month later...
Overdue update, but I'm determined not to rush things. I've also sold my car, bought a new one, resigned, job hunted and then started a new job - so plenty on my mind & to keep me busy!

Pictures are pretty self explanatory, but that's never stopped me waffling before!

First pic is the obligatory layout photo, showing the padauk strips, wenge centre, and white mystery veneer strips. Why mystery veneer I hear you say? Because I forgot what I ordered. The laminates were cut on the bandsaw, before being trued up with the Safe-T-Planer, planes, spokeshave and scrapers, each used in differing orders with varying degrees of success.

IMG_2926.jpg

Glue applied liberally, and then clamped up, I applied a secret weapon to stop the veneers curling as they were glued...

IMG_2928.jpg

Staples!

IMG_2929.jpg
IMG_2930.jpg

It was then brought into the house, and left in the dining room to be forgotten about and subsequently tripped over.

IMG_2931.jpg

A few days later it was time to straighten everything out, make sure it was true and flush.
N.B. Wenge is brutally hard compared to what I'm used to with my knifemaking history! I thought maple was hard!

IMG_2970.jpg

Artistic shot, including delicious looking curls

IMG_2971.jpg

Off centre, I know, but starting to look more like it should!

IMG_2975.jpg

Sanding belt cut, and then double-side-taped to the bench for sanding on a larger scale

IMG_3007.jpg

Distance shots including messy bench! If your bench/workshop isn't messy, are you even making progress?...

IMG_2976.jpg

Scarf angle measured!

IMG_3006.jpg

Then cut on the bandsaw, then sanded on the bench mounted paper. Then to the belt sander as the guard worked as a handy guide at the correct angle.

IMG_3008.jpg
IMG_3009.jpg

There's a slight low spot at the nearest edge (hence the curve in the line) but I'm not overly concerned about this at this stage.

Then I started with the piece I intend to scarf onto the neck blank. This was about 50mm thick, so I ran it through the bandsaw, then due to inexperience/lack of attention/not enough coffee, it ended up slanted/wedge shaped and needed correcting.
Out came the Safe-T-Planer setup including the trusty old-shelf rest.

My fence/guard for the setup was the same height as the piece of wood I was working on. So I got the double sided tape, and fixed two offcuts to the base to even it up (after sanding flat & true). Sanded again on the bench mounted paper, and ran it through the planer.

IMG_3011.jpg
IMG_3012.jpg
IMG_3010.jpg
IMG_3013.jpg

Action shot - mind your fingers!

IMG_3014.jpg

Back to the bench-sandpaper, to remove any marks

IMG_3016.jpg

And a bit of light sanding later:

IMG_3017.jpg

Then a cheeky mock up - Looks alright I think!

IMG_3019.jpg
IMG_3020.jpg

Not bad progress for a weekend in my opinion!

13 hours ago, JimF said:

Realised I’ve done an 11degree scarf instead of 7 as per the norm for BM style builds. Can’t see it being an issue but want to research a bit just in case before I glue anything up

PRS headstock angle is pretty shallow. Some sources suggest between 7 and 10 degrees.

I've used 14 deg for all my builds without issue. I can't imagine you'll have any problems with 11 deg.

• Like 1

Thanks! Phew! Remembered I need to take the fretboard thickness into account so need to remove another approximately 6mm from the neck blank. Going to try and borrow a thicknesser as I’m not a fan of the Safe-T-Planer on larger pieces. 

All very by the numbers Jim! Headstock angles are - in my opinion - a combination of personal taste and the demands of the build. Shallow angles are crap for tuners (and headstock designs) than require a bit of break over the nut, larger angles crap for necks without scarf joints to get rid of short grain. I choose mine whimsically, or if I'm not in a thinking mood, randomly. At least, I can't recall having any rules I try to stick to, anyway.....

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Slow progress...
Wasn't overly impressed with the results from the Safe-T Planer. No real issue with the product, I just think the bearings in my bench drill have seen better days, leading to play and a not-so-good surface finish. Also the working 'throat' of the bench drill now setup as a planer meant I would need to find another way to thickness my body blank.
Most of the planer thicknessers were either insanely expensive or only had a 11"-12" max width. Now my body blank is 12"-13" so things were against me.
I decided to make a router thicknesser jig!
I've always been a big fan of the most complicated way of doing a simple thing, but here it is:

IMG_3846.jpg
IMG_3847.jpg

It works well! and with molegrips to avoid any unwanted movement, I've a pretty damn good setup! I've already ran the neck blank through this (more on this later!) and decided to make a start on the body tonight.

IMG_3897.jpg
IMG_3903.jpg
IMG_3905.jpg
IMG_3898.jpg

One thing I realised was when standing at the table, was just how close my balls were to the router. Having heard horror stories, I decided I needed to protect the boys.

IMG_3899.jpg
IMG_3900.jpg
IMG_3901.jpg
IMG_3902.jpg

Not quite bulletproof, but should provide peace of mind at least! And there's more protection than before!

Spent a decent amount of time tonight on it, playing with it, tweaking, setting it up etc, and managed to two a good two or so passes over the entire body width. This takes longer than you think!

IMG_3904.jpg

My plan is to keep on with the passes, and get it down to approx 32mm. Then flip it and do a pass on the back as the blank is ever so slightly cupped. I believe most Blackmachine guitars are 30-35mm thick, and I have a 5mm maple top to add to this. I also have a guitar with a 40mm body and because it is heavily contoured on the back it feels pretty thin. I suppose with the blank currently being about 46mm I should have this down to a working final thickness by October :D

Also, I mentioned earlier on about the neck blank; tonight started with gluing that up! With plenty of excess wood at either end, I believe we're going to be okay with this. Quietly confident with this, or, more humbly, not concerned with potential errors. 

IMG_3892.jpg
IMG_3893.jpg
IMG_3894.jpg
IMG_3895.jpg

I think I earned this!

7_CCAB7_AA_6813_4_D35_AA77_B084_C9_DE0_C
  • Like 1

I'm a bit late to the party on this. 

Great looking neck woods!  I was interested to see your experience with the safe-t-planer.  I have a pro builder friend who uses one for hesdstock plates and swears by them.  Personally, they scare the willies out of me!

Good call to opt for a slotted board first off - the learning curve is steep enough as it is and the main objective for a first build is a successful result.

Watching with interest and yes, you deserved that ice-cream :)

• Thanks 1

Jim, I'm also from the SS forums (Walshy) and it's nice to see you posting here as well. The guys are extremely knowledgeable and helpful - Pros is like 24/7 luthier support!

Did you get that bookmatched top from a certain seller in China, by the way? I thought I recognised the picture as I love me a bargain off eBay!