JimF's First Build!

That’s an awesome looking guitar, can’t wait to see it finished. I’ve made a mistake on the finish on my current project. So I’ve decided to let it sit for a couple of weeks and do something else. I find the worst mistake are made when trying to frantically fix a lesser mistake.

if that last dot mark bugs you. It’s quite an easy one to drill out and make a paste from ebony dust and wood glue to fill the hole and redrill. I like ebony because it’s very forgiving, dust and glue don’t really show up at all 👍

Aaaaand we have frets!

Ebony is a nightmare to work with. Ended up using a triangular needle file and putting a chamfer on the top of the slot. Everything else went pretty good! Found is easier to work one side to another, rather than left-right-middle. I think I was fighting the barbs of the fret tangs, trying to make them go sideways to counteract their radius. All sorted now!

IMG-6568.jpg
IMG-6569.jpg
IMG-6570.jpg
IMG-6580.jpg
IMG-6582.jpg

Hi Jim - I'd go as far as to adding that you should always chamfer the fret slots regardless of the wood. It allays most chipping when it comes to refretting, prevents poor seating if your wire has a slight fillet between the tang and the crown plus it guides the fret into the slot with less effort and drama. I do it religiously, or as religiously as I think is appropriate. No sacrifices or stoning my neighbour for mixed fibres or whatever.

• Like 2

I had a fret that I didn't get seated properly on my second build and had to remove it, resaw and put put another in because I had binding and installed them with super glue, I got a fair bit of chipout even though I filed back the fretslot prior to pressing them in. Glad I did, could have been a lot worse if I didn't file the slots.

• Like 1