Singlecut: Domestic--not domesticated!

16 hours ago, Drak said:

I've never liked it when I've seen people do irregulated (my word) rear covers, just my personal opinion.

I always looked at it as cheating or taking the easy way out.

Basically lameness charading as coolness.

But it always looks cheesy and fake and trying too hard to be cool to me.

I always cut the piece (rear cover) out first, save it, shape it, and then bring it back in at the end.

I always liked that look and forethought.

But you sir, have taken rear covers to HIGH ART status.

The back of that guitar says a million times more about your artistic abilities than the front.

And the front is kickin' it.

But the back is MONSTER.

Layers upon layers of talent, forethought, planning, and multidimensional talent in that back.

Wow...just wow.

Oh, PS, hello.

Cheers Drak!

Good to hear from you again.

I appreciate the kind words, they mean a lot. I've always been inspired by your work.

Thanks for dropping in and come on back when you can stay for awhile.:)

SR

This weekend was dedicated to cleaning up the clear coat and tint at the neck join and knocking the surface of the lacquer back by starting leveling process. The neck join was cut back by wiping with a rag with lacquer thinner on it and then sanded back with the coarsest micromesh - 1500.

C01568.jpg

The whole body has been sanded with 1500 micromesh I believe this helps the out-gassing of the solvents still with in the lacquer film.

C01569.jpgC01570.jpg

I'l come back and soften this up with an airbrush and some dye. I have often worried about sanding away the clear and removing some of the tint....but it was soo much work just to reach teh dye level in the neck join, that I can relax my fears of that problem considerably.

C01572.jpgC01574.jpgC01575.jpg

I have a rag that has been used to rub polishing compound on previous builds that I use to wipe off sanding dust. It does a fair job of keeping swirl marks knocked back too. That makes the finish look further along than just 1500.

SR

The humidity has been at least 90% in the mornings but more like 60%-65% in the afternoons when I shot this. Same amount of moisture in the air, but as it gets hot it can hold more so the percentage is reflected as a lower number. I just add more reducer when it is this humid. That slows the drying time down a bit and gives the moisture time to escape before being trapped. It worked like a champ.

SR

I tried the retarder trick- but my problem is clean environment- ie- my garage is my shop.. Two bay doors- and son comes in and out of one, wife in the other- telling wife alone not to use garage is like asking for trouble- so- constant opening of the door- ie- air flow-ie dust- ie- last guitar I did in summer was white and I swore never again having to get crap out of the finish cause it was open so long in drying. my ghetto plastic sheets walled "spray booth" was not cutting it. 

3 hours ago, ScottR said:

This weekend was dedicated to cleaning up the clear coat and tint at the neck join and knocking the surface of the lacquer back by starting leveling process. The neck join was cut back by wiping with a rag with lacquer thinner on it and then sanded back with the coarsest micromesh - 1500.

C01568.jpg

The whole body has been sanded with 1500 micromesh I believe this helps the out-gassing of the solvents still with in the lacquer film.

C01569.jpgC01570.jpg

I'l come back and soften this up with an airbrush and some dye. I have often worried about sanding away the clear and removing some of the tint....but it was soo much work just to reach teh dye level in the neck join, that I can relax my fears of that problem considerably.

C01572.jpgC01574.jpgC01575.jpg

I have a rag that has been used to rub polishing compound on previous builds that I use to wipe off sanding dust. It does a fair job of keeping swirl marks knocked back too. That makes the finish look further along than just 1500.

SR

(that's what sitting in stunned silence sounds like ;) )

32 minutes ago, Splintazert said:

Very nice Scott, it seems that each of your updates takes things up a level.

@mattharris75 That's a beautiful starter guitar too, your girls are very lucky!

Thank you kind sir. The finish line is just around the bend.

@mattharris75's girls are lucky. Their daddy worked on that for a long time.:)

SR

• Haha 1

Wow, Scott, had missed this thread until now. Very refined. Love them curves and the stunning maple top. Ash back looks so similar to one I started a couple of years ago I still haven't finished due to messing up the headstock!

One of the things I never liked about the Les style was the lack of back contours but you have done a lovely job. You can just tell it would feel amazing to pick up and play.

This weekend I leveled some more, going through micro mesh grits 1800 and 2400. I'm still using fine pumice as a wipe down between grits and have added rotten stone as well. That is doing a fine job of polishing and showing where sanding scratches from the previous grit need some more work.

C01581.jpgC01584.jpgC01586.jpgC01587.jpgC01589.jpgC01590.jpgS

SR

I'm having trouble not  posting pics of the top.

C01591.jpgC01592.jpgC01594.jpg

I thought I was done and went in the house. When I came back out the sun had changed its angle a bit and was doing this.

C01595.jpgC01597.jpgC01598.jpg

I had to take some more shots.

I hope this happens again when I'm done polishing.

SR

• Like 4

I'd say that you've got the patience of a saint, however on reflection that seems a little bit silly to say....why would saints have patience, other than maybe waiting until some superfluous unproveable "miracle" is ascribed to them post mortem?

Still, you've got the patience of say....a Guinness drinker? A guitar-builder/tree-grower?

Can't wait to see the results of your polishing labour.

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

I have plenty of time to be patient. The lacquer is still curing....shrinking....hardening, however you want to call it. I'm just gently removing layers of orange peel and sanding scratches that were never going to be part of the finished product anyway. I've still got 6 more grits of micromesh and then some buffing compound to go. This weekend I will call the finish cured enough to finish.

SR

• Like 1