Bokchoi's Double Humbucker Tele

Tackled a couple of jobs that have been worrying me today.

As I didn't have a solid plan early on, I didn't route a channel for the pickup switch....

So the only way was the old massive auger bit through the body trick.

After practicing a LOT on scrap I got the deflection down to 1-2mm, in practice it turned out a bit more than that, but it worked out fine.

Prior to doing this, I drilled out the cavity for the switch so I'd have a nice big target to hit, no tear out which is great.

I also got to steam out my first dent after a drill press table incident. Worked just like magic.

IMG_6431.JPG

IMG_6432.JPG

IMG_6433.JPG

IMG_6434.JPG

I grabbed some Ebony grain filler today so I'll hit the body with a slurry and sand back to smooth everything off.

Edited by bokchoi77
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Prostheta said:

Whoa, now that was brave. The deflection/wander on those is pretty high because the webbing of the bit is pretty flexible. I applaud both the results and your guts doing this. Once they set off, they just keep going.

Yeah you're not wrong, this bit was one of the better ones I've seen in terms of being rigid, I think the small 8mm diameter helped... in the end I had around 4mm deflection which isn't ideal but it worked out in the end!

I definitely think planning ahead and routing out the channel prior to glueing up is the less stressful option.

I used a spirit level on top of the drill, in retrospect I'd go back to my original method: You can see the nut and washer in the first pic joined with the purple string, you basically hang the washer on the shank of the bit and it'll try to wander up and down as you slant the bit etc, if you keep it in the same spot you'll have a level hole. I managed only 1-2mm deflection with this trick.

Edited by bokchoi77
  • Like 1

Had a chance to hit the body with the grain filler over the weekend, sanded off and it's brought forward a bit more character in the wood. There's a little bit of blotchyness toward the middle where it'll need a bit more sanding but the pickups will also take some of that out. Second photo is just a light wipe with some water. I'm planning on a gloss clear finish for this one.

IMG_6437.JPG

IMG_6438.JPG

Edited by bokchoi77
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

So over the last week or so I've managed some shed time and tackled some of the jobs that were worrying me. Mainly fitting the neck (Not shown) drilling the string through and bridge mount holes and routing out the control cavity. I did have a template for the cover recess as well but I'm not happy with it, the shape isn't an exact match for the cover....

The ferrules still look a bit wonky in the picture because they weren't all the way in.

IMG_6518.JPG

IMG_6522.JPG

IMG_6524.JPG

IMG_6527.JPG

IMG_6528.JPG

Edited by bokchoi77

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind comments guys!

Made some serious progress this weekend, and the body is ready for finishing work, all the routing is completed!

I'm finding that no amount of measuring and checking will give satisfaction and sometimes you just have to jump in.

Turned out well so far!

IMG_6545.JPGIMG_6541.JPG

IMG_6542.JPG

IMG_6543.JPG

Edited by bokchoi77
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mistermikev said:

like how you used the natural stripe in the grain to line up with the toggle... looks nice.

Thanks man, was more of a happy accident in a way.

1 hour ago, curtisa said:

Looking pretty tidy. How is it weighing in at the moment? Myrtle + Sass can be a bit on the heavy side sometimes.

What are you using for the cavity covers? Almost looks like brass?

It seems pretty nice, I thought it was super heavy when I first slabbed it up but the routing etc has really lightened it up.

The covers are just a clear plastic with a gold film of some kind, I'm tempted to go brass if they don't end up looking spot on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I've basically just been layering up poly on the body, no interesting pics of that, but I did dip my toe into neck building - I Originally intended to go with the purchased neck on this one, but thought if I can even just copy that one for my first go, I can have a completely self built instrument.

I messed about with a few jig ideas but this setup seemed to be simple and effective...

IMG_6564.JPG

IMG_6567.JPG

IMG_6568.JPG

IMG_6570.JPG

IMG_6571.JPG

IMG_6573.JPG

All clamped up, next step will be the carve!

IMG_6580.JPG

Edited by bokchoi77
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, curtisa said:

It was nice weather here yesterday, wasn't it? 😎

What timbers are you going to use on the neck?

Sure was, almost summer like! Still not enough hours in the day though...

The neck is a Bunnings special, Tas Oak for the neck and Merbau for the fretboard. Oddly enough the local (Kingston) has both of these cut to really convenient sizes for necks on a pallet....

From what I've read these timbers should be OK, the merbau is certainly nice and hard.

1 hour ago, bokchoi77 said:

From what I've read these timbers should be OK, the merbau is certainly nice and hard.

Aye, you should do fine with both of those. Bunnings merbau decking and K&D plain vanilla Tasoak was what ended up as the neck for Operation Shoestring. The colour tones tend to blend together in a brown/tan direction a bit too much for my liking, but the combination has been one of the most stable necks I've ever done.

Have you ever ventured a bit further south to the Margate Train? There's loads of native speciality timbers there for not unreasonable prices. You might have to sift through the stock to find a few good bits but their turnover is pretty high, so there's always something new there to look at.

1 hour ago, curtisa said:

Aye, you should do fine with both of those. Bunnings merbau decking and K&D plain vanilla Tasoak was what ended up as the neck for Operation Shoestring. The colour tones tend to blend together in a brown/tan direction a bit too much for my liking, but the combination has been one of the most stable necks I've ever done.

Have you ever ventured a bit further south to the Margate Train? There's loads of native speciality timbers there for not unreasonable prices. You might have to sift through the stock to find a few good bits but their turnover is pretty high, so there's always something new there to look at.

I have indeed, that's where I got the Sassafras and the Myrtle for the body, they were in the wobbly board section, I've played things safe financially for my first attempt, but that said, I've found everything to be great to work with, a session with the planer thicknesser sorted out the warps on the boards too.

Love that Shoestring build - I've read through it before, I suspect it was one of the sources for Tas Oak and Merbau sticking in my brain as OK.

In other news I got into the carve today, I felt it went pretty well using the facet method... Still a bit of fine tuning to do but I'm pleased with how it's progressing for a first crack!

IMG_6582.JPG

IMG_6584.JPG

IMG_6586.JPG

IMG_6587.JPG

IMG_6589.JPG

Edited by bokchoi77