Steel body strat

Hi, im not new but I havent done anything guitar related since 2007ish. This was on my bucket list so I figured I may as well give it a go. When its done it will be a solid bar with the "body" welded in a cage format. 

20180516_141812.jpg

20180518_100431.jpg

20180518_102351(0).jpg

20180518_132441.jpg

Made a little progress, i need to machine the flats for the neck and bridge. The process of welding the plate put a lttle warp to it. Nothing big, the mill will fix it right up

20180530_120901.jpg

20180530_120916.jpg

20180530_192234.jpg

20180530_192243.jpg

1 hour ago, ScottR said:

Well, that's eminently practical. I was picturing the back of the neck in straight steel rods, but couldn't envision a steel rod fretboard.:)

SR

Its on my list of things i want to try, but i cant figure out how to do steel frets. You could bend them to the right radius but as soon as they are welded in they would warp. They would need to be pressed into something. A project for another time.

• Like 1

Ahhh. Very interesting way of tying the bridge and neck plate together. It sounds ridiculous on first examination, however, does that part have a distinct tap tone? I'm super curious as to how this approach will affect the instrument from resonance, absorption, interference, etc.

I don't partake in the tap tone school of thought unfortunately. The Idea that you can tap a pice of wood and then change its form, attach some stuff to it, then expect it to respond to the same frequencies is lost on me. Just for fun, it rings like a bell, fwiw, I dont know what it's natural resonant frequency will be, but im sure it will be apparent when its together and playable.

Im just worried about the extra metal affecting the current in the coil. Im leaning toward some sympathetic vibrations being read by the coil creating a chorous or vocal effect. But its pure speculation.

Well, me neither. Tap "tone" is acoustic territory. I was more wondering if the workpieces resonate like a bell, and it seems they do. Hmm. Have you seen the bronze guitar in progress here? Once the body is grounded, I think there will be few issues with stray currents or interactions....that said, this is on a completely different scale of mass to things like Tele ashtray weirdnesses!

On 6/14/2018 at 4:06 AM, GuitarGuy said:

I don't partake in the tap tone school of thought unfortunately. The Idea that you can tap a pice of wood and then change its form, attach some stuff to it, then expect it to respond to the same frequencies is lost on me. Just for fun, it rings like a bell, fwiw, I dont know what it's natural resonant frequency will be, but im sure it will be apparent when its together and playable.

Im just worried about the extra metal affecting the current in the coil. Im leaning toward some sympathetic vibrations being read by the coil creating a chorous or vocal effect. But its pure speculation.

I am exploring of effect of resonance with my build with almost the identical theories you have.  With my build I am hoping there will be a noticeable resonant frequency that will feed into "sympathetic vibrations" or harmonic oscillation.

The reality is, the only true way to know the outcome is through building a complete guitar, there are just too many variables to speculate.