Komodo's Metal Tele

2 hours ago, mistermikev said:

No expert but I know a few things... craig andertons book "elec projects for musicians" had a number of diagrams for various versions of tone controls... and was available for free somewhere... I think from freestompboxes.org?  good book if you want to learn some ground level stuff.

Anyway, just adding a hi pass filter will cut output a bit and perhaps enough?  focusing it to restrict lows only may retain sparkle (or at least perceived).  Another thing you may consider... you COULD change magnets... but that will likely change the sound of the pickup which it sounds like you are happy with.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-ab&biw=2230&bih=518&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=Mqs_XJTMGfW-0PEP5-OmqAc&q=guitar+tone+control+low+cut&oq=guitar+tone+control+low+cut&gs_l=img.3...57557.60013..60277...0.0..0.76.494.7......0....1..gws-wiz-img.08bVm9FMBHU#imgrc=2qUzgLT0jSrR-M:

adding that resistance between the coils (or to one coil if in parallel) might be a nice option too... should retain a lot of the highs for one coil anyway. 

I feel like you are in my head. 😨

I've been looking up bass cut circuits, and also came up with a little high pass I may try. Not only that, but the bridge pickup uses a split where one coil has some low end still and it retains the humbucking in the audible range.

Also, I've got some A2 and A5 mags but hadn't thought about replacing the BW mags because I figured that would add a muddier low end compared to the ceramic.

I;m going to go wire the parallel right now, and try the high pass and see what I come up with. I've also got some leftover coffee from this morning and might try a little test of highlighting the crazing. I'll either come back happy or frustrated. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, komodo said:

I feel like you are in my head. 😨

I've been looking up bass cut circuits, and also came up with a little high pass I may try. Not only that, but the bridge pickup uses a split where one coil has some low end still and it retains the humbucking in the audible range.

Also, I've got some A2 and A5 mags but hadn't thought about replacing the BW mags because I figured that would add a muddier low end compared to the ceramic.

I;m going to go wire the parallel right now, and try the high pass and see what I come up with. I've also got some leftover coffee from this morning and might try a little test of highlighting the crazing. I'll either come back happy or frustrated. 

well... if I AM in your head then you might wana get that check out! ;)

Field Report: The coffee had little staining effect. The finish cracks are so tight that nothing really penetrates them. Even straight up dark stain had little effect. I might have to do a freeze / thaw cycle and get the stain in then. We are in uncharted territory here.

The high pass filter was OK, but had way less volume. The parallel wiring is promising, but my goal was to have the switch do a single coil, and I can't figure out how to wire parallel and get single coil with the SPDT switch. The series HB wiring had a bit more punch also.

Whatever happens, this thing is a beast and I can't stop playing it. I've been going back in time and learning stuff I always wish I'd learned. My first assignment with it is Zakk Wyldes solo from Ozzys No More Tears.

• Like 1

Think it’s done. I spent a bunch of time doing final setup tweaks. Trem spring balancing, final bridge / saddle heights, final intonation, final nut tweaks for action, and made a truss cover. I’ve still got to replace one pot as I have a new good one. I’ll take pics and call it done. I’ve already been spending time digging up designs I was working on to house my authentic Trisonics. What a sickness!!

• Like 1

It’s ridiculous. Today I perused  the wood library trying to solidify choices for the next, but came away with 5 half baked “ooh that would be cool!”. 

Korina tele balances and plays like a dream now. It’s easily the one I would buy from a store fram anything I have. I’ve been playing lots of 80s hair metal and 90s prog on it hahaha! Shes Only 17, Dream Theater - Images and Words, Boston.

Kinda, it has a few coats of oil with steel wool. Then I had a can of Restore a finish out while redoing some speakers. Rubbing that on really added this depth to the color of the Pau Ferro brining out a deeper reddish hue. Then wax coat to seal. It plays so beautifully I don't really want anything else on it other than protection from moisture. My shop is heated and very dry (winter), and it the wood really sucks the oil. I may continue oil and wax until it seems quenched. The Howards Feed n Wax is god stuff with a mix of carnuba, beeswax, mineral and orange oils. 

edit: I went back and looked at those final pictures, they make it look "dryer" than it is. If you compare to the pictures after I carve the neck on page 4 of this thread you can see the difference of the fresh wood, a pale light brown, and the oiled wood. In person it looks like that oiled wood, a deep chocolate color. 

• Like 1

sweet axe @komodo. that checking came out sweet- and thanks for the info on how to go about it.

would be interested in your op on that neck pick up after another 30 days. I am trying to find high r pickup for a guitar that has extended fingerboard and pu sits under the fingerboard. I tried one of the dimarz evolutions- but that thing was like a razor though and so bright and sizzley and just not pleasant on the ear. I sort of shelved my hunt for that one a bit ago. 

so how did the porter come out post bean infusion?? 14%? wow- that'll grow hair on yer teeth. 

@ScottR- I literally had Physical Graffiti doing rotations on the tape deck in the shop this weekend. prob my fav zep album.

On 1/28/2019 at 8:21 AM, Mr Natural said:

how did the porter come out post bean infusion?? 14%?

It’s still sleeping on bourbon soaked oak sticks. I’ve been cleaning. bottles and finishing this guitar. This beer can sleep for years if need be, but I’ll get it bottled fairly soon. Tastes so far have been wonderful!

• 2 weeks later...