so... some designs I'm working on for my next build - would love any all input

mistermikev

Wich design do you prefer  

3 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

so what am I doing on a 3 day weekend while I wait for things to dry???  obsess over designs for my next build. 

I want to try inlays... would like to avoid angled neck if possible but one choice would require it so... def want to try set neck or neck thru next... not sure I'm ready but def willing.

Just calling these off the top of my head...

we'll call this one the "diamonte"

DiamonteSG.thumb.jpg.045fd8be7dcbcff8a17252365924ffae.jpg

The "Blues Jay"BluesJay.thumb.jpg.2f75c173966bf7b8c42f5731354ad00a.jpg

and the "Delta Lectro"

danou2.thumb.jpg.0f5ca52cfa736dac1ec2219d3159b530.jpg

I also think you need more contrasting color... the blue is overpowering right now. Think about black for you pickguard (still bound in white) and headstock (I'd bind that to match too) IMO. Too much of a good thing is still too much; and I think blue is a good thing.

Chris

• Thanks 1

so... I've taken the comments I've gotten to heart and made some new fantasy guitars.  Have been improving my photoshop skills.  Have added a few new ideas for builds as well.  Any all comments welcome and thanks again for previous comments.

the sweetspot strat:  I've been wanting to do a 4 pickup strat for a while.  my fav settings on a strat are 2 and 4 ie the sweet spots.  This idea would offer up 3 sweet spot settings plus a tele setting (neck and bridge would now be rwrp).  just an idea altho sooner or later I AM going to build a 4 pickup strat!SweetSpotStrat.thumb.jpg.3f44898c129daac964e1647eb038a741.jpgthe deltalectric: I've missed my dano ever since I sold it.  THE slide guitar.  Always thought it could be improved with more hum cancelling options and this would be an attempt to facilitate that.  I also thought I'd dare to mess with the original formula of pine+masonite and go for a more upscale wood choices like maple and mahog with a little more rosewood thrown in for good measure.

DeltaLectric.thumb.jpg.f92d50cf8e33766daba7ea937f55594e.jpg

the night-owl... I've always wanted a blueshawk, but the 2009 version with the 24.75 scale neck.  this version would have 2 std p90s plus a stacked p90 for the middle offering some more interesting hum cancelling positions.

NightOwl.thumb.jpg.a3d8ee111e35286f1aa333c0d0ed7f8d.jpg

the diamonte: my first good guitar was an sg90.  Was quite the departure from a std sg.  had a steinberger trem that could lock, 24 fret neck (back in 91/92 it was the only 24 fret gibson - at least I have read).  I broke the neck on mine and then did a failed repair... ended up trading it off just to not have to look at it.  anywho, this would be my tribute to that.DiamonteSG.thumb.jpg.3f6169e770ab659e53376750b6118fed.jpg

finally, my last idea... the Texas Cattle Hand.  I purchased a big piece of 8/4 black walnut 14" wide for my first build (a bass).  pictured here is my actual walnut, so yup, this is just an idea of how to spend some of that walnut that is burning a whole in my pocket! 

Probably should be noted that many of these recent ideas feature binding + a heavy roundover.  I was inspired by Norris and his gotm entry.  You get the coolness of binding with the comfort of a roundover??? sold!   

TXCattleHand.thumb.jpg.c50874bb498715d1843188778deefa99.jpg

• Like 1

Wow you must spend a lot of time on Photoshop, any time I use it I'm banging my head against the wall the whole time. And I'm just doing a black outline on a white background LOL!

I notice on some you have come up with a different headstock shape but the Fender style ones are just the same. Although I like the upside down idea. Its a great place to put a name

At first I didn't think there was any merit in the SG type you have designed but just then I noticed it has a sort of LP carve to the top rather than chamfered edges. I'm actually thinking of something similar for my latest project, which is more of a Strat shape

• Thanks 1

thank you crusader.  I appreciate the response.  All the things I've done here are actually pretty simple in photoshop... I'm really an intermediate user.  Like anything else... it just takes practice.

afa f-style headstocks... good point.  I will have to come up with my own variation. 

the sg - yes... was planning a carved top.  I suspect I could do 90% of it with bits... 1/2" roundover, 3/8 cove, ... and  3/8" plunge roundover.  thats the plan anyway!

thanks for taking the time!