6 String Lap Steel.

Hi All,

It has been a while since I did a build. The past year I have been doing a full rebuild/upgrade on my CNC router. I made many changes to improve it's accuracy and function.

So I thought of the lap steel as something  that would be a good test for the CNC to shake out any problems.

First, the design stage. Using Aspire 9.0 I drew up the cad files and came to this as the basic idea of what I want. Overall dimensions 33.35" x 6.25"x 1.5"

LPsteel1.thumb.jpg.a6879e4956873ed7456b7d5f41c93cf7.jpg

lpt3linedraw.jpg

So I picked out a 6 ft 4/4 Black walnut board, cut it in half and surfaced each to flat for gluing.

Machined the basic outline and the head stock pocket. The close up is without any after prep. straight off the machine. I am pleased with no tool marks. Minimal sanding will be required.

I will be using Gold hardware, I know old and whatever, I have a bunch leftover from some years back, trying to keep this on the cheap for this test. Will have 2 volumes no Tone or Switch, keeping it simple.

LOL!!

lapsteel3b.jpg

sidelpstl.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ScottR said:

Wow, no kidding.

SR

Now that I know my time striving for accuracy and taking the time to do a proper setup for squareness and tram, I feel confident that milling non-ferrous metals will be much easier.  I will be trying that later this week as I plan on machining a brass nut for this. :)

mk

Trying something different, I prepped the surface with clear coat to seal the grain I masked off the fret-board area with Oramask 813. Then V carved the lines and markers with a 60*  engaving bit. Resealed the carved areas. then sprayed white in the carved areas. Mixed up some clear bar-top epoxy and mixed in some white pearl dust I use when spraying clear. Now to wait for it to dry, remove the mask and tape. Then most likely will have to take a surface pass of about 0.010" to level it. Should be interesting. :)

oramask813.jpg

vcarvefret.jpg

pour.jpg

HARD to tell because of the flash. but I think this may work. Will know in 24hrs. Most likely it will require at minimum 0.005" surfacing or sanding to clean it up. It does look a lot like MOP though in real life.

preview1.jpg

So I am pleased with the results. It does look a lot like MOP. Will look better when it has a clear coat on it. I did have a few small bubbles I missed. I can drop fill those with MOP Pearl dust and clear lacquer, so no big deal. Ended up taking off 0.020" to get past everything.

While I did use white as the base color before the pour, I believe that maybe silver would have been a better choice. Will have to play with that.  :)

mop1.jpg

mop2.jpg

mop3.jpg

• Like 2

I have decided to use a swimming pool route with a pick guard. This way I can use either single coil or humbuckers.  Will be using a  lipstick style single coil first set in reverse Jimi style. :)

Damn, I banged the spindle hard earlier, you can see the results in the pocket cuts.

I have to tram it again. CRAP!!!

poolpockets.jpg

OKay I have the nut made and the nut slot is done. Now to start the finish on the guitar. I also have to drill the tuner holes and I have to polish the nut as well. I used an acrylic Pen blank for the nut it is 3/8*' thick recessed 0.225" It will be 1/2" tall out of the body. :)

nut1.jpg

nut2.jpg

nutslot.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/9/2018 at 8:08 PM, MiKro said:

Trying something different, I prepped the surface with clear coat to seal the grain I masked off the fret-board area with Oramask 813. Then V carved the lines and markers with a 60*  engaving bit. Resealed the carved areas. then sprayed white in the carved areas. Mixed up some clear bar-top epoxy and mixed in some white pearl dust I use when spraying clear. Now to wait for it to dry, remove the mask and tape. Then most likely will have to take a surface pass of about 0.010" to level it. Should be interesting. :)

oramask813.jpg

vcarvefret.jpg

pour.jpg

HARD to tell because of the flash. but I think this may work. Will know in 24hrs. Most likely it will require at minimum 0.005" surfacing or sanding to clean it up. It does look a lot like MOP though in real life.

preview1.jpg

That's very clever stuff.  Fascinating :)

• Like 1

Well it still looks wrong, The color is washed and gray toned. Dammit not the dark walnut I am looking for. Oh well it is the prototype. Move forward and find the other problems. Make it playable and move forward. :) Next time it will have hardware installed.

MK

I have used danish oil prior to lacquer (on walnut and mahogany) as that I have notice helps and avoids that bland washed out look.This is not the best pic- this is after first couple of coats of nitro lacq on a lap steel I did a few years back -the crotch figure top reflects light differently depending on the angle you look at it- but point is oil really helped bring the color to life on it and the mahogany body/neck. I let it dry for 2 weeks prior to spraying and only used a light coat- just enough to cover and highlight the figure/color

.003-2.thumb.jpg.5082ed2753c457eb5c76c96f5d5a8c93.jpg

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Mr Natural said:

I have used danish oil prior to lacquer (on walnut and mahogany) as that I have notice helps and avoids that bland washed out look.This is not the best pic- this is after first couple of coats of nitro lacq on a lap steel I did a few years back -the crotch figure top reflects light differently depending on the angle you look at it- but point is oil really helped bring the color to life on it and the mahogany body/neck. I let it dry for 2 weeks prior to spraying and only used a light coat- just enough to cover and highlight the figure/color

I know I tried something different, I won't make that mistake again. :) Thx

MK

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ScottR said:

That's a fascinating headstock. Your pickup configuration has changed a bit. I s that now going to be a tele bridge pup?

SR

No just a hot lipstick single coil. :) The headstock is based on the older 8 and 10 string pedal steels.

2 minutes ago, MiKro said:

No just a hot lipstick single coil. :) The headstock is based on the older 8 and 10 string pedal steels.

So, when I opened up this thread just now, it opened to the very post where you said that the first time.:D

On 6/12/2018 at 12:07 PM, MiKro said:

Will be using a  lipstick style single coil first set in reverse Jimi style. :)

I really did look back through your posts to see if you mentioned your pickup choice before asking the question....which obviously was a waste of time since I apparently cannot see.:lol:

SR

• Haha 1