Classic Sakura

That had to have been almost meditation. How did you manage to hang on to the flowers as they were cut?

What a gorgeous instrument you've made there.

2 hours ago, komodo said:

That had to have been almost meditation. How did you manage to hang on to the flowers as they were cut?

What a gorgeous instrument you've made there.

i just tried really hard not to let go! plus my nails seem to grow rather quickly so I always had a bit of something to pinch onto them with. I dont know how many I dropped (a lot!), but I only lost a few

2 hours ago, ScottR said:

HOOGLE'S BACK!

Good to see you again. And my God, what an ambitious and creative project you've come back with. My eyes would start twitching if I tried anything remotely like that.:blink:

Absolutely exquisite work.

SR

I could manage to cut about 40 before I started going a bit blurry. I limited myself so I didn't go blind!

well, a couple of months ago I woke up and my wrist was a bit sore for no reason. then over the next week or so it got steadily worse and worse until it hurt when I did any work. so I went to the doctor and its a tendon thing, so I got anti inflammatories, which did nothing. so I went back and got cortisone injections. that was two weeks ago, and again, it did nothing.

then this morning, I was woken up by a massive gust of wind and in my half asleep state for some reason thought i'd felt the whole house leaning over, so went to look out of the window, and in doing so put my entire weight on my bad wrist. 

and now I cant do anything. I couldn't even hold a toothbrush or wash myself in the shower with it. I was going to have some lettuce in my sandwich, but I couldn't, because I couldn't hold a knife and put enough pressure on it to cut LETTUCE without being in agony. 

so it looks like tools are downed for the foreseeable future

my wrists still not right, but I just found some offcuts from ebony fretboards and theres enough (if I have a sliver of maple between them) to make three knobs.

now I dont have a lathe, so it might be a bit trickier than it should be, but i'll give it a go. the only thing is, I want them to be push fit ones, so i'll have to find some old push fit knobs and cut the middle bits out and glue them in. unless anyone has another thought?

Always a pleasure when you surface, Hoogle! I'm sure that @charisjapan will be fascinated by this build if he's not already seen it.

Damn, that's a bummer about your wrist. As long as it's temporary and can be mended with time and patience, then it's cool. I remember seeing some sort of insert in eBay for knobs. I believe that they were for push-fit. I agree that using existing knobs is the best way forward. Just do a bit of work to ensure that they're concentric, so you might have to gut an old pot for the shaft.

Just did ... Wow!

Once a year, my whole neighborhood is sakura ... probably six or seven different types all blossoming at different times, so more than a six week season.  

@hooglebug, your work is as good as any I have seen done by Hakone Zaiku artisans!  (and I've been visiting Hakone for nearly 50 years)  I also know what it's like to be laid up with problems that kept me out of the shop for months, in my case tedinitis and bursitis.  Hope you get the right advice ... and take it! I tried to bluff my way through it - like when I was younger - and made things worse.  Now, my doctor gave my nurse (Mrs. Charisjapan) strict orders, and I'm on the mend. 🤞

Be well!!

9 minutes ago, charisjapan said:

Just did ... Wow!

Once a year, my whole neighborhood is sakura ... probably six or seven different types all blossoming at different times, so more than a six week season.  

@hooglebug, your work is as good as any I have seen done by Hakone Zaiku artisans!  (and I've been visiting Hakone for nearly 50 years)  I also know what it's like to be laid up with problems that kept me out of the shop for months, in my case tedinitis and bursitis.  Hope you get the right advice ... and take it! I tried to bluff my way through it - like when I was younger - and made things worse.  Now, my doctor gave my nurse (Mrs. Charisjapan) strict orders, and I'm on the mend. 🤞

Be well!!

thanks!

i'd love to see that, i'm very jealous.

as for my wrist, I've had everything done that they're willing to do. im pretty much just stuck doing very little and wearing a brave whenever I do do something and hope it clears up. 

2 hours ago, Norris said:

I made mine using a pillar drill, a set square clamped to the base plate as a guide, and an 80-grit sanding stick

that would be the plan, only my drill press is broken, and im going for the bell type, rather than just a barrel shape, so it looks like i'm Dremel-ing away

Hello! Beautiful detail work :)

I saw a simple way to simulate a machinist lathe using a drill press and a table vise to hold the cutter, advancing the material onto the cutter by pressing down the drill press. Material held on the chuck, of course. Works fine for plexy.

Since it is not an option, perhaps a simple round tennon-cutter jig would do? Material held in the hand drill, pushing into a sort of a pencil sharpener thingy, cutter being either a chisel or a spare plane knife or piece of steel.

I'll try to post a drawing in a few minutes.

Here it is - I used something simpler to make some rods for the side dots on a recent fretless build. Can't tell what would the possible problems be without actually trying it out (which I probably will, I'm starting to twitch already :) ).

I guess that the material shoudn't be cut cross-grained.

Hope this helps!

Goran

1.JPG

Edited by gpcustomguitars
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, gpcustomguitars said:

Here it is - I used something simpler to make some rods for the side dots on a recent fretless build. Can't tell what would the possible problems be without actually trying it out (which I probably will, I'm starting to twitch already :) ).

Hope this helps!

Goran

1.JPG

I just made an electrosocket-like plug out of Padauk for my Limba Redux, and. I can tell you that it’s not easy to get a truly round whatever.  The grain, no matter how subtle, fights to make an irregular whatever.  Now, I admit that my drill press is a cheapo, but as @Prostheta mentioned, they don’t do well with side loads.  For my plug to be round, I spun it against my belt sander while eyeballing, then chucked it into the drill press for final size and polish.  One way I found to use a drill press effectively was by using a drum sander in a hand drill against the whatever.  It’s a bit hard to make two matching items ... but I suppose possible.  At least this way there is minimal side-load on the press.  Some day I’ll buy a lathe.

What I had in mind was using a hand held drill. It would work like a pencil sharpener of sorts, similar tools are used in making of stick furniture for shaping the ends into tenons, can't remember the brand name, just that they go onto the drill, and the material is fixed, and here the material is on the drill, and the "sharpener" is held in a vice.

I used the same method for making a simple rod using just a hand held drill:

36974969955_affaf13631_b.jpg1-IMG_20170901_184019 by Goran P, on Flickr

36139423864_1aa4a5c97a_b.jpg2-IMG_20170901_184118 by Goran P, on Flickr

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gpcustomguitars said:

Hope this helps!

Goran

1.JPG

I've used similar sorts of ideas on the lathe to make dowel stock. They work pretty nicely, and I imagine that this approach would sidestep the issues around sideload with drill presses.

Here's a more detailed drawing. I got the idea because the original tool is actually making tapered tenons, meaning the tenon flanges out from the constant size to full width of the material used. I'm not sure my quick geometry is completely correct for the cutter, as I'm writing from work, but I will try to do a mockup, using a piece of cardboard to determine the correct cutter shape.

My first application worked fine when used at higher speeds, but that was thin plastic, so using lathe logic, larger diameter material=lower speed. I think this would work with some prep tinkering. So the knob would sort of plug the cutter when done.

Drilling the hole trough in some 1" hardwood stock, reaming the first taper, and probably routing the last flange? A piece of mild steel would probably hold the edge long enough for a set of knobs/proof of concept.

1.JPG

well, I just glued some veneer to some ebony, cut a little slot in the veneer and glued a sliver of ebony binding into the slot for a marker, then cut some smaller circles and glued them on top and cut the knobs out so they look like liquorice allsorts.

tomorrow i'll see if I can make a nice hole in the center to put the bits I've cut from some other knobs in so I can get them onto pots, and then at some point if my wrist can stand it i'll just try shaping them with a Dremel like I did the tuner buttons 

• Like 1

I tried to drill the centre hole, or rather expand the centre hole that was already there from gluing them up (I used a toothpick to hold them in place), but for whatever reason it drilled off centre, so I had to Dremel it instead. 

I pushed a dowel in there to give me something to hold onto, clamped the Dremel with a little sanding drum in a bench, and started shaping. 

so heres the first one roughly shaped.  

IMG_20180623_121116.jpg

• Like 3