Classic Sakura

On 6/21/2018 at 2:08 PM, Prostheta said:

Always a pleasure when you surface, Hoogle! I'm sure that @charisjapan will be fascinated by this build if he's not already seen it.

Damn, that's a bummer about your wrist. As long as it's temporary and can be mended with time and patience, then it's cool. I remember seeing some sort of insert in eBay for knobs. I believe that they were for push-fit. I agree that using existing knobs is the best way forward. Just do a bit of work to ensure that they're concentric, so you might have to gut an old pot for the shaft.

I'm a bit late on this.  

First of all this is a STUNNINGLY impressive build.  Secondly, I made my first knobs this year and found a uk source of 6mm id grub screw collets.  As soon as I'm back on the desktop, I'll post the details (assuming 'wakefield' is THE wakefield ;) ).

Just remembered I was going to pass on the details of the insert supplier:

_MG_4722.thumb.JPG.4b8cca54f5cbc83bf8634fb5b999966f.JPG

It's Thonk (great name) here https://www.thonk.co.uk/product-category/diy-accessories/knobs/ 

Sorry for the delay. 

By the way, my wife comes from Wakefield.  Happy memories of frequent visits over the years.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

so good news...no, wait, the opposite of good. you know, the other thing.

it seems heat makes my wrist worse. and we're currently in the middle of the most ridiculously terrible hot weather. so for the last week or so I have been able to do precisely bollock all

• 2 weeks later...

I just did that piece as a test to see if I liked it or not. its just burnt on with my soldering iron so its easily sanded off if I didn't like it. but I do. and I think it'll help the flowers stand out more once the colour is on as well. i'll just have to wait till I've done all the sanding before I do it otherwise i'll be doing it over and over again

yeah its clearly going to happen isn't it.

before I've finished sanding everything (because I hate sanding) im trying out some colour ideas on the back. so far I have it in my mind that im going to stain blue and fade it out towards the bottom third, then in that clear bottom third do pink, sanded back, then the whole thing will have a light blue almost wash over it, so the blue gets deeper and the pink goes a touch purply, so its like those pinky purply clouds you get on an evening. then maybe a slightly darker blue burst that fades away again. and finally some pink painted on behind the flowers (not like Barbie pink or anything, calm down)

1 hour ago, hooglebug said:

yeah its clearly going to happen isn't it.

before I've finished sanding everything (because I hate sanding) im trying out some colour ideas on the back. so far I have it in my mind that im going to stain blue and fade it out towards the bottom third, then in that clear bottom third do pink, sanded back, then the whole thing will have a light blue almost wash over it, so the blue gets deeper and the pink goes a touch purply, so its like those pinky purply clouds you get on an evening. then maybe a slightly darker blue burst that fades away again. and finally some pink painted on behind the flowers (not like Barbie pink or anything, calm down)

I love that idea.

SR

• 1 month later...

well I've been trying different colour thingies for a while and finally thought I had a good plan. so today I excitedly started spraying...

and the back looks pretty good. I think I'm gonna keep going on the back. but the front. oh dear. so that's coming off tomorrow and i'll try to get it looking more like the back. 

by the way, the pink I got is bubblegum pink, which sounds horrendous, but under the blue (with a  few highlights on top of it) I think it works

20 hours ago, hooglebug said:

well I've been trying different colour thingies for a while and finally thought I had a good plan. so today I excitedly started spraying...

and the back looks pretty good. I think I'm gonna keep going on the back. but the front. oh dear. so that's coming off tomorrow and i'll try to get it looking more like the back. 

by the way, the pink I got is bubblegum pink, which sounds horrendous, but under the blue (with a  few highlights on top of it) I think it works

Well, that's a hell of a teaser isn't it?:blink:

We need to see this thing!:D

SR

• 3 weeks later...

well you'll have to wait because I STILL haven't got the top to look like the back yet and its doing my head in. I've just sanded it back to wood for the 5th time. I THINK I've got it cracked now though. 

I had for some reason assumed i'd used a powdered dye for one of the layers, but now I think I must have used a liquid one. we'll see I guess.

also, I think I've gone off the idea of painting pink behind the flowers. i'll have to try and see