Bass volume knob config help

Dylano

The beautiful MSPaint diagram I created gives basically all the detail I can provide.

The pots are from a 2011 Gibson Les Paul.

I'm not sure what I'm trying to achieve is even possible without more components.

Basically all I want is for each of the two pickups to have their own volume control knob. Seems simple enough! 

In the diagram it shows the two configurations I've soldered it in already following some online diagrams I found googling my plan.

I'm glad I found this forum as it looks like has a wealth of knowledge!

Thanks for any info anyone can provide!

-Dylan

Bass wiring.jpg

Awesome I will try that tonight!

Isn't that just the same as my first configuration though?

I was under the (hopefully incorrect) impression that the 1 and 2 lug are interchangeable as far is in/out.

Does using the 1 lug as input prevent the back feed of electricity or something?

1 hour ago, Dylano said:

Are you talking about the 3rd pole going to the case of the pot? haha Yeah the tabs are just bent up and soldered there. But seriously, is using 1in and 2out different from using 2in and 1out?

Yes. from my experience they are?

5 hours ago, MiKro said:

Yes. from my experience they are? 

Reversing lugs 1 and 2 on the pots in that configuration will leave you with the situation where rolling down either volume rolls down the output of both pickups simultaneously.

The first diagram posted on the left (or @MiKro's diagram, they're the same thing) is the one you want. Configured that way, you can freely increase or decrease one pickup volume without interacting with the other.

No it is different, it does not have the ground loops ;)

Just as a side note, don't sweat it with the concept of ground loops in a guitar. They're often misunderstood and cannot physically exist inside typical guitar wiring. Just because it looks like a loop of wire around the ground terminals does not make it a 'ground loop' in the truest sense, nor will it unleash the hums from hell if wired in such a way. Wire your grounds whichever way is most practical and makes the most sense. Provided your soldering is good you'll be rewarded with a perfectly quiet instrument where it matters :thumb:

6 hours ago, curtisa said:

Reversing lugs 1 and 2 on the pots in that configuration will leave you with the situation where rolling down either volume rolls down the output of both pickups simultaneously.

The first diagram posted on the left (or @MiKro's diagram, they're the same thing) is the one you want. Configured that way, you can freely increase or decrease one pickup volume without interacting with the other.

Just as a side note, don't sweat it with the concept of ground loops in a guitar. They're often misunderstood and cannot physically exist inside typical guitar wiring. Just because it looks like a loop of wire around the ground terminals does not make it a 'ground loop' in the truest sense, nor will it unleash the hums from hell if wired in such a way. Wire your grounds whichever way is most practical and makes the most sense. Provided your soldering is good you'll be rewarded with a perfectly quiet instrument where it matters :thumb:

@curtisa If you noticed my WINK you would see I was messing with him about the ground loops.

mk

So even though we all agree my first diagram setup and the one @MiKro suggested are the essentially the same, they yielded different results! I changed my wiring to match @MiKro 's (by simply switching the in/out on the bottom pot) and now the bottom pot works as volume for everything overall and the top one does something strange, and vol-0 or vol-10, there is no output, at vol-5 there is output and it sounds deep, and at vol-3 or vol-7 there is output that sounds slightly brighter. So messing with the top knob while the bottom is at max you get this starting at 0 and going to 10: Nothing, bright sound, deep sound, bright sound, nothing. Any ideas?! It's not a tone pot, there is no cap/resister or anything. This is baffling me haha

So switch the top pot as well, your diagram shows the first one as 1 = out, 2 = in, the second one you have shows it 1=in 2 =out. If you left the top one as the first diagram then it is wrong. YOU changed the bottom pot and it works correctly. Change the top one as well.

This bass has 3 pickups, 3 vols and 1 master volume. basically they are wired as I have shown without the master volume in the circuit. They are all independent of each other as far as volume..

edited to correct: that it had a master vol not a single master tone pot.

:)

bass_fin.jpg

My apologies, I've misread the diagrams posted. The first one you posted on the left is the one you want. The one Mikro posted is the same as the diagram on the right.

The righthand diagram/Mikro's diagram will give you that weird cross-influencing volume pot behaviour.

The lefthand diagram will allow you to control the volume of one pickup without affecting the volume of the other. It's essentially the same as a stock Fender Jazz Bass wiring minus the tone control.

hahaha, okay so @curtisa The chart @MiKro posted is not the same as either of my diagrams. The first diagram is how I originally had it, the second shows what I changed it to next, then finally by switching the bottom pot in/out (like I had just done to the top) it is where it is now, just like @MiKro's diagram. And all of the strangeness of each setup is described above. It really is the strangest thing.

Jayzus! OK, I can see where the mix up is now.:rolleyes: This is like some weird optical illusion that changes everytime I look at it.

Ignore everything I've said up till now.

The definitive answer is: The very first one on the left that you posted at the top of this thread will give you independent volume control of each pickup without affecting the other.

Everything else proposed will result in some degree of cross-influence between the two pots.

46 minutes ago, curtisa said:

Jayzus! OK, I can see where the mix up is now.:rolleyes: This is like some weird optical illusion that changes everytime I look at it.

Ignore everything I've said up till now.

The definitive answer is: The very first one on the left that you posted at the top of this thread will give you independent volume control of each pickup without affecting the other.

Everything else proposed will result in some degree of cross-influence between the two pots.

OMG!! I am LMAO!!! I keep seeing it differently as well. Oh Shit!! Too Funny.

Then there is an issue with the way it has been transferred from drawing board to guitar. The diagram you have drawn is correct.

For comparison, here is the Fender Jazz Bass wiring. If you delete the tone pot and its attached capacitor, you have exactly what you've drawn:

image.png

12 minutes ago, Dylano said:

Well, Maybe I'll just buy two new pots and wire it back up like I had in the first place. Should I get 250k pots? 🙂

Not sure, I have no idea what pickups you are using? I would think you would want to match what you have though to the correct value of pots.

From what I understand there isn't really a "correct"way to go. Just more or less of the current being passed through the pot. I believe 500's are brighter as they allow more treble through. I'm thinking 250s just because it's a bass, even though I have "humbucker" neck pickups.

Got these lovely pricey beauties ;)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1set-4-String-Noiseless-Pickup-Black-for-Precision-P-Bass-Replacement-A0496/113042349920?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649