Entry for November 2019's Guitar Of The Month is open - ENTER HERE!

westhemann

Misc Stuff about Life. Part XII

:)

Another friggin hot one today. it was about 10:30 pm when it finally got down to 97* last night. Damn when I was younger this didn't bother me, now it is oppressive.  LOL!!

I know. I've been watching Grey's Anatomy and it's based in Seattle. Every year a place with no sunlight seems more and more attractive.

• Like 1

Losing my job has really put a total kink in my work plans. I can't relate how many hours I've thought about how to do the basic v-groove joint for a Firebird's wings without a table saw. Infuriating. I could make a jig, however that would need a table saw also. FFFFfffuuuuu

• Haha 1

Well that one took a while.  I have been acclimating myself this year. It makes the weekends much more enjoyable when you can go outside.

• Like 1

It's still in the mid-20s most days up here in Finland. Great weather if that's your thing, however the sun really tires me out. I'd rather be working. I'm genuinely the Doc Brown sort.

1 hour ago, Tim37 said:

Well that one took a while.  I have been acclimating myself this year. It makes the weekends much more enjoyable when you can go outside.

I try to spend every minute I can outside. It seems to work as the heat doesn't bother me much at all.

SR

• Like 1

I've been making an effort to get outside more, but it isn't easy. Today I ordered SS bolts for my intake on my red truck because it had a vacuum leak and a bolt snapped off in the head. So far I've had no luck getting the remainder out, but tomorrow I'll hook my torch up and heat the bolt to red hot then let it cool. That always works.

So I was chatting with Perry ( Orsmby Guitars ) about a guitar that I sent him some specific wood for some years back ( curly purple heart, very rare ). At the time he was unable to find this anywhere. He contacted me and I had some. :)  Finally I have a picture of the top. Man did it come out nice.

mk

ph1.jpg

• Like 2

I bet that it was the worst wood to work, what with it burning easily and being fractious enough even when it's not figured....! Yeah, it was a good idea putting it into Perry's hands. Stuff like that would be wasted on most builders, whether it be by the end product not being fully realised or the wood just waking up on a bad morning and telling you to FO, exploding across the shop. Know what I mean?

• Like 1

Well I just tested the carving aspect of my rebuilt machine. All in all it did very well. I downsized this, so the resolution is not as good but that's okay it was more of a test to stress all 3 axis at the same time. :)

done2.jpg

done1.jpg

Not sanded just 2 coats of clear on this to pop the grain. I do see a few minor mill marks from the roughing passes. LOL!!done3.jpg

• Like 2

I'm so old, that no matter what I say or think, It does not matter. The youth now think they fucking know everything? Really? The news is indoctrinating crap that is producing a bunch of stupid ass people. YOU CAN"T FIX STUPID.

Off of my Soapbox,  Have a nice day.  :)

It's always been that way. When I was a teenager/young adult I fell for all the indoctrination as well. Hell, people of all ages fall for it.

Every time I hear any of the various catch phrases the political parties throw out to their sheep my eyes glaze over.

General rule of thumb...If you can't put your point of view into your own words without catch phrases, you don't actually have a point of view... you're just being indoctrinated.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MiKro said:

I'm so old, that no matter what I say or think, It does not matter. The youth now think they fucking know everything? Really? The news is indoctrinating crap that is producing a bunch of stupid ass people. YOU CAN"T FIX STUPID.

Off of my Soapbox,  Have a nice day.  :)

"Youth is wasted on the young."

• Like 2

Too. Many. Irons. In. The. Fire. 

I'm not sure if I should spend my precious little free time moving several projects ahead a little bit, or just knock out one or two to get them out of the way. i kind of want to ignore all of them and play a video game.

• Haha 1

I hate when I go to the hardware store get the bolts I need after I measured it all and still got the wrong damn ones. LMAO!!! No problem, at least they are too long, but so much I can't cut them to length because they have a shoulder. :) SO I am adding an extra gas spring to my Chopsaw foldable cart. the one on it is about 100lb, maybe 110lb lift and does not do really a lot after about 4 inches of lifting my big ass saw. It feels like you are still lifting a 65lb saw. So I piggybacked a 130lb along side. Now I cannot close it at all without having the saw on it which it will get mounted to it.  It should lift much easier now. :)

Now if I can just get the unlocking mechanism to fucking work smoothly I will be happy.

chopsaw1.jpg

Yeah, I ordered a stainless bolt kit for a chevy intake and all of them are too short. Tomorrow I'll have to go to Ace and just get the proper ones.

• Haha 1

We haven't even touched on all of the idiosyncrasies of the screw, nut and bolt isle at hardware stores. My boys have an absolute revulsion of those isles from all of the boring time they spent there waiting for dad.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, komodo said:

We haven't even touched on all of the idiosyncrasies of the screw, nut and bolt isle at hardware stores. My boys have an absolute revulsion of those isles from all of the boring time they spent there waiting for dad.

Too funny, at least they aren't grabbing handfuls of them and tossing them everywhere.  :)

Another note: you also have to check every nut as some other asshole cannot put them back in the correct place.

My local Ace has the best fastener aisle I've ever seen. Every size you're likely to need in every grade and material.

Want a brass carriage head 1/4" x 2" with brass locking washer and nut? They have it. Same thing in SS ? Yup.

Grade 8 bolts for engine applications? Yup. SS too.

Need shorter phillips head wood screws for tuners on a thinner than normal headstock in SS, brass, or just plain black? Yup.

• Like 1

That is my dreamworld.