February 2019's Guitar Of The Month is now open - ENTER HERE!

westhemann

Misc Stuff about Life. Part XII

Yeah.  Mostly that's the side I'm sliding my container onto, and the porch will empty into a gravel area about four feet wide between the house and the container  which will be roofed and have a privacy fence at both ends.

Exactly.  I'm hoping I can create enough room for a semi-outdoor woodworking area/hang out space.

My next step was to be the bathroom,  but of course nothing goes as planned. I checked the sewer pipe under the house and it was dead nuts level... so that's no good. The bathroom location is too far from the septic to get a proper slope, so I made the choice to move the bathroom to the other side of the house, thus solving the issue.

First problem this created was moving the tub. It's an old school cast iron tub that I want to use. It has no issues a good cleaning won't fix. Of course, it's 1/4" thick cast iron coated in seriously thick porcelain... so it was a beast. Getting it out of the wall, through the door, and across the house was a feat of strength of Herculean proportions. I broke a sweat and may havd strained my man-gina.

20190204_143617.jpg

20190204_150755.jpg

20190204_152426.jpg

So since I'm building a new bathroom,  I deciddd to make it very large and also use it as a laundry room. This of course means I had to redesign my entire  layout. I was going to combine the center cluster of closets into a music room, but instead I was required to make some space to push my living area towards the middle of the house... thus I am having to remove those closets altogether.

This creates a much more open floor plan, and I'll just convert the former bathroom into my guitar/music room.

It looks disturbingly disastrous,  I know.

20190206_171158.jpg

I'm looking forward to the point at which the destruction will stop and things will start to look like actual progress instead of such a mess.

12 hours ago, westhemann said:

it's 1/4" thick cast iron coated in seriously thick porcelain... so it was a beast

That would make a fine tornado shelter....except the last pic makes it look like it's too late.

SR

Better. From here on out it will just be one section at a time, so hopefully no more tornadoes. It's going to take a long burn to get that pile turned to ash. I can't take down that last section until I get another post under there.

20190207_113143.jpg

Edited by westhemann
  • Like 1

I have four barber chairs. They actually belong to my Uncle, but I've been storing them for years and years along with his old barber shop counters and sinks.

I don't know why though. He's old and blind now and won't ever use them again, and his son isn't a barber. The counters have dilapidated  into uselessness so I threw them out because I don't have space for them and I told his son years ago of the problem,  but I guess he doesn't care.

So I just care for the chairs and keep them safe because they are actually worth money if they decide they need to sell them. 

They are quite comfortable,  so I'm going to use them as seating in random corners when the house is finished. "Reading chairs". They look nice and the big cushy one has cup holders.

I have a feeling they will never leave though, unless my cousin decides to sell the antique one. It's worth a little bit of money, so they say.

Out of curiosity I just looked it up, and my Uncle greatly exaggerated the worth of the antique one. They go for about a grand at the most.

Regardless,  it's a fine looking chair.

I'm not drinking beer at this particular juncture, Scott. The last few nights have been Exotico Blanco.

My alcohol palette is coming back very slowly after the gallbladder thing. Not sure why it made a difference,  but it really did. Can't stand Scotch or Bourbon of any type right now.

Good luck with that. Looks like you've got a good start. Maker's is good stuff.

As far as the rest, I'm often go down that path. I often slice up extra sharp cheddar, and hard salami/pepperoni/summer sausage, and Claussen garlic dill pickles, pile them on a tortilla chip and enjoy them with an IPA. All the flavors go together perfectly.

SR

I like Doritos, extra sharp cheddar, and ranch dressing with Shiner Bock sometimes. Any decent amber beer will do actually, but I hate to waste expensive beer with junk food.

Just sent land tax envelope  number two out. One more left.

They are trying their best to tax me to death. Wouldn't be so bad if we actually recieved some benefits from what we pay, but nope... we get a military. 

I did some welding for my motorcycle mechanic,  and in trade I got an entire Goldwing front end. I've been wanting to redesign my BMW for a while, and so this is a good start. My plan is to cut off the front of the BMW and install the Goldwing front end with a hair more rake than the BMW has, then lower the rear a couple of inches with a shorter shock absorber and shorter tire, then raise the footpegs a bit. The end result will be a lower center of gravity,  wider front tire with better brakes, stiffer front end, and hopefully an overall more "standard" touring bike feel... rather than the sportbike feel it has now.