Jump to content

Voting for November 2019's Guitar Of The Month is open - VOTE HERE!

westhemann

Misc Stuff about Life. Part XII

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, westhemann said:

Had to put my welding truck in the shop. For some reason the rear brskes don't want to work. I replaced the pads all the way around,  but nothing on either side.

Seems like every time you try to find equilibrium with the world around you the world just says "nuh uh uh.... not so fast, sparky!"

I know that feeling Wes, It sucks. Been having the same shit happening here. :)

MK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bizman62 said:

Just to show you some of my woodworking skills outside guitar building. Three more to go... That one created some 100 litres of sawdust (lightly packed, not pressed) to be used as "brown" material for composting kitchen waste.

That's two metres high with a 85 cm radius. Tools used: A chainsaw and two axes.

half.thumb.JPG.64f2e541c01122e79262f974bcccc8f7.JPG

full.thumb.JPG.3be8dba6955eeaef0c49251d16203c17.JPG

 

Whereabouts in the world is that? The light looks like way North.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I finally finished the Bass Model I have been working on. Once I get my cataract surgery behind me, starting tomorrow with my right eye. I will make this bass on my cnc. Some years back I made this for a gigging player/friend. I only used the cnc for the profile and pocket cuts. Not anymore. LOL.

mk

JagBass14.jpg

JagBass13.jpg

JagBass12.jpg

JagBass11.jpg

JagBass10.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, westhemann said:

Whereabouts in the world is that? The light looks like way North.

Way North? Well, you might say so although looking from here Way North would mean something like Lapland and up. I live in Joensuu, North Karelia, Finland. Actually, now that I think about it, this is as North as central Alaska or the North half of Canada, or Southern Greenland. The Gulf stream keeps us warm but the light doesn't lie! The pictures were taken on Saturday 7 PM and Sunday 5 PM.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, westhemann said:

This is the light in Texas around 11am.

Sure looks like almost noon on a warm summer day, the blue light can be sensed. Would be interesting to compare photos from various parts of the world, taken on the same week at the same time of the day in a similar weather and towards the same compass point or maybe rather having the sun in the same position. Then again, camera makers have their preset preferences for colder and warmer hues and since most monitors aren't calibrated photoshopping won't make the results any more comparable.

Your "spring" seems to be ahead of ours; the tree leaves aren't fully grown yet and yesterday was the first day I heard a lawn mower this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are full into summer - the grass is long AF and I've already mowed it a couple times. Last couple days its been humid and we've had huge thunder boomers that rattle the windows and walls.

So jealous of people building guitars around here, I might actually get mine started this weekend. FFS.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pshaw. I've been mowing the grass since February down here in Houston, Texas.

I've only had to mow every week for maybe 6 weeks though...

SR

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah,  with all the rain this year I'm constantly behind on my mowing. My truck is in the shop and my grass is getting unruly because I need gas for the mower and can't carry it in my car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, westhemann said:

I need gas for the mower and can't carry it in my car

Heh, in Texas everything's bigger. I can easily take the 5 litre can to the nearest gas pump (1 kilometre) on my bicycle. That's enough for several mowing sessions on my 1000 m2 yard.

BTW the second firewood tower has reached the halfway mark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I presume the wood is your major source of heat during your winter?

Even I don't BBQ enough to go through that lot...:D

SR

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I live in an older house, built in the early fifties when everything was sparse after the war. There was a bunch of public plans for standardized houses to be built and lived in with a low budget to inhabit the veterans. Due to the construction they're also nicknamed as round (dance) houses because of the central chimney around which the rooms are situated in the first floor; you can go from one room to another and end up where you started. There's a fireplace in every room except the hall, that's five in common. In the sauna there's two more, the stove and the cauldron.

We have electric radiators and air conditioners but the wood keeps electricity bills low in the winter. Fire also gives a different feel of warmth, maybe because the burning process draws air from the room so fresh air has to suck in. And the sauna... 250 kg of stone around the stove gives a nice spirit/heat when throwing some water on the stones. The dictionary didn't give a good translation for "löyly". One explanation: When you throw water on hot stones, steam is something you can see. Löyly can't be seen.

So yes, wood is what we use for heating and keeping our electricity bill low plus some more. Sauna and BBQ. It pays if you can get wood for a reasonable cost. It's not too common, though, although many houses have a fireplace. There's also been lots of talk about the ultra fine particles causing lung diseases and global warming.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New neck for a 24-5/8" scale. Yep late 50's Gibson scale. Only on a few  guitars. Some were also 24-9/16. all were listed as  24-3/4. 6 inline, 6* angled head stock, small volute. :)

24625neck.jpg

24625neck2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bizman62 said:

Well, I live in an older house, built in the early fifties when everything was sparse after the war. There was a bunch of public plans for standardized houses to be built and lived in with a low budget to inhabit the veterans. Due to the construction they're also nicknamed as round (dance) houses because of the central chimney around which the rooms are situated in the first floor; you can go from one room to another and end up where you started. There's a fireplace in every room except the hall, that's five in common. In the sauna there's two more, the stove and the cauldron.

We have electric radiators and air conditioners but the wood keeps electricity bills low in the winter. Fire also gives a different feel of warmth, maybe because the burning process draws air from the room so fresh air has to suck in. And the sauna... 250 kg of stone around the stove gives a nice spirit/heat when throwing some water on the stones. The dictionary didn't give a good translation for "löyly". One explanation: When you throw water on hot stones, steam is something you can see. Löyly can't be seen.

So yes, wood is what we use for heating and keeping our electricity bill low plus some more. Sauna and BBQ. It pays if you can get wood for a reasonable cost. It's not too common, though, although many houses have a fireplace. There's also been lots of talk about the ultra fine particles causing lung diseases and global warming.

I love hearing what normal life is like in other parts of the world.

Saunas seem to be as common in your world as .......what? Laundry rooms, pick up trucks (help me here guys) are in ours.

SR

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ScottR said:

 

Saunas seem to be as common in your world as .......what? Laundry rooms, pick up trucks (help me here guys) are in ours.

SR

Fat chicks? They're pretty common here.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

Heh, in Texas everything's bigger. I can easily take the 5 litre can to the nearest gas pump (1 kilometre) on my bicycle. That's enough for several mowing sessions on my 1000 m2 yard.

BTW the second firewood tower has reached the halfway mark.

I'm not sure of the size conversion here. My can is 5 gallons, the gas station is a mile away, I don't have a bicycle or a rack on my motorcycle (yet.. working on that) and my yard is almost 3 acres. 5 gallons will mow it 2 or 3 times with my John Deere 42" rider. How's that for some Imperial Dimension Culture Shock? 😝

I should have my truck back soon though.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sauna is a very embedded part of culture here. Original sauna was savusauna, or smoke sauna, where the stone pile is set over an open fire leading the smoke to blacken the walls and everything in it. That soot has antimicrobial properties, and sauna is always the cleanest room. This dates back centuries. Children were born in sauna, the dead were washed there. Sauna is somewhat spiritual because of this, and it's maybe difficult for people to understand its importance in Finnish culture, instead focusing on the nudity. There's nothing like rolling in the snow naked in -30°C temps, or bombing into a lake on a summer's day. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, westhemann said:

I'm not sure of the size conversion here. My can is 5 gallons, the gas station is a mile away, I don't have a bicycle or a rack on my motorcycle (yet.. working on that) and my yard is almost 3 acres. 5 gallons will mow it 2 or 3 times with my John Deere 42" rider. How's that for some Imperial Dimension Culture Shock? 😝

I should have my truck back soon though.

 

You lost me at, "can". That's a huge arse at 5 gallons. I'd get that looked at. No wonder you can't find your bike. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, westhemann said:

3 acres. 5 gallons will mow it 2 or 3 times with my John Deere 42" rider

So you have roughly ten times the area to be mowed, four times the amount of gas in the jerry can, 1.5 times the distance to get more gas - a nice walk even with the small can of mine. Looks like your 42" is quite moderate concerning gas consumption. Then again, it's almost a year since I last mowed so I may remember the fuel usage wrong. The tank of my push mower isn't too big and it lasts for almost the whole area so the can may well last for about ten uses.

11 hours ago, ScottR said:

Saunas seem to be as common in your world as .......what? Laundry rooms, pick up trucks (help me here guys) are in ours

As @Prostheta said, it's embedded to the point that they're being built even into the smallest apartments. Think about a no bedroom flat with the sauna and bathroom department being bigger than the alcove for the bed. Not a rule but quite common.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I keep my mower deck high and mow in a higher gear so it doesn't take as long to mow as it could. It results in an imperfect "lawn", but honestly when you have so much to clear all you care about is being able to walk over it and keep your boots and pants clean. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AFA sauna, I'd like to add that the nudity part is what makes all people equal. That's why our late President Kekkonen liked to take all the great Soviet bosses to the sauna for negotiations. They couldn't hide behind all their medals and other bling-bling, nor could they lose their faces by leaving the hot room before their host - who by the way was very competitive...

The previous US ambassadeur, Bruce Oreck, learned to love the sauna and dipping into a hole in ice in between. He used to go to a public ice swimmer's sauna in Helsinki. One day there was a piece of tarpaulin surrounded by some barricade tape aside the path, under which seemed to lie a corpse. As he continued into the sauna, he heard two men talking there: "Well then, Kalle will not join us any longer..." The straightforward way of handling a natural death in a public place made quite an impact to him, as he thought about all the authorities swarming around and closing the place for half a day had such happened back in the USA.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So here is something new for me as well. My pickups. Have to test them first. This is a hot bridge pickup, should give good distortion.  May take some time. but I hope to be offering some soon. :)

MK

 

rio_pickup1.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, westhemann said:

Well, the back looks nice. I always appreciate a nice backside. 

Me Too! This one is a cream face, I got a red one it sucks, I have a few Black ones as well they are tamed down OHM wise. LOL

MK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now a plain flat top with set neck and large radius edge. No frills just fun. LOL!!! Soon I can start building again.

mk

setneckb.jpg

setoneA.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...