Entry for December 2019's Guitar Of The Month is open - ENTER HERE!

westhemann

Misc Stuff about Life. Part XII

That's good news,Mike. Nothing makes you appreciate "normal " like being down a few weeks/months.

This week has been the week of incredible deals for me. I had to put my dually in the shop and the guy replaced my rear wheel brake cylinders and adjusted the brakes plus chased down an error code for $316 and delivered my truck back to my house for me.

Then I got my inspection and registration done and then stopped at a random tire shop and they put on a brand new BF Goodrich Commercial tire for $75.

Nothing feels better than things costing less than you think.

• Like 1

I had my left eye cataract surgery today. It went well so far, a little more discomfort than the right eye. If all goes well I will be at 20/20 vision in both eyes in the next week or so. :) Damn CAD program better watch out, now that I know what line I am really seeing. LOL!!!

MK

• Like 1

On 6/6/2019 at 7:14 PM, MiKro said:

I had my left eye cataract surgery today. It went well so far, a little more discomfort than the right eye. If all goes well I will be at 20/20 vision in both eyes in the next week or so. :) Damn CAD program better watch out, now that I know what line I am really seeing. LOL!!!

MK

I'm thinking that may be in my future as well.

SR

• Sad 1

49 minutes ago, ScottR said:

Some goddamn piece of rotten grass tried to do eye surgery to me the other day. It just jumped out of the blue, slashing my eyeball. And today some micro-surgeon wanted to palpate the other eyeball while I was piling up the third tower of firewood.

• Sad 1

Wood is a strange thing. Here's some observations I've made while holding the shaft of my axe so that I somewhat broke my back chopping a mountain of firewood.

For starters I'd like to explain my technique a bit. First I stand the wood on the block, then just tap the top so that the axe sticks. Larger blocks I may either split using the traditional two hand method, or just grab the block by swinging the axe to the top of a lying wood so it sticks. The not-so-usual trick is to turn the axe so the butt is hitting the block, letting the weight of the wood do the job. That works for wood from some 5 cm in diameter up to those I can barely lift. Knots often aren't too big of an issue with that technique.

So back to the observations. My current project has included spruce, birch, alder and aspen, all of which can and are being used for building guitars. Aspen can be compared to basswood, both by weight and grain. Now there's a saying "spruce dry, birch moist" and that pretty much explains those. But the two latter ones, which are those I've mostly made acquaintance with lately, behave very different to each other. Alder is the stiffer one of those two, with a moderate tap the tip of the axe blade sits tightly for the upside down turn. It then splits relatively consistently. Aspen, when tapped lightly, just bounces the axe away! As you may know, hitting twice to the same place isn't too easy, especially if you have to increase the hitting power. So would you believe, although the first hit only makes a barely visible mark, merely a scratch, the second or even third hit missing the first mark by a centimetre or more splits the block starting from the first tap! Otherwise aspen is very thankful to split if you use more power to the first hit. It splits linearly, making the pieces of firewood look like offcuts of a 2 by 4. Supposedly a knotless log of aspen might be relatively easy to split into planks the medieval way, using just an axe and some wedges.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ScottR said:

SR

It was fast, and expense. $3600 per eye after insurance. Im at 20/20 in my right and 20/100 in my left and the left will get much better over the next month. It should get to 20/20 soon. The doctor said my right was abnormal to be at 20/20 so soon. LOL

mk

45 minutes ago, MiKro said:

It was fast, and expense. $3600 per eye after insurance. Im at 20/20 in my right and 20/100 in my left and the left will get much better over the next month. It should get to 20/20 soon. The doctor said my right was abnormal to be at 20/20 so soon. LOL

mk

I'll never be 20/20 again, I've had corrective lenses for nearsightedness since second grade. The eye doctor also says I've got cataracts, something I've never noticed before. But only to the degree to be expected for a man my age.

What is new since last year is a small circle of distortion in my left eye. If I look at a picket fence the boards bend together right at my focal point with the left eye. If I look at a letter in these sentences with my left eye, the letter dead center, blurs or disappears.

The doc says it is a small area of retinal detachment. And it's in a position that no surgeon is willing to operate on--not that I want that anyway. Over the last month or so, I think I may be seeing a second area of distortion in my left eye...and fuck me, this past week maybe a spot developing in my right eye. Or it might just be beer.

Carl had something going on with his eyes several years back. How did that turn out @Prostheta?

SR

1 hour ago, ScottR said:

I'll never be 20/20 again, I've had corrective lenses for nearsightedness since second grade. The eye doctor also says I've got cataracts, something I've never noticed before. But only to the degree to be expected for a man my age.

What is new since last year is a small circle of distortion in my left eye. If I look at a picket fence the boards bend together right at my focal point with the left eye. If I look at a letter in these sentences with my left eye, the letter dead center, blurs or disappears.

The doc says it is a small area of retinal detachment. And it's in a position that no surgeon is willing to operate on--not that I want that anyway. Over the last month or so, I think I may be seeing a second area of distortion in my left eye...and fuck me, this past week maybe a spot developing in my right eye. Or it might just be beer.

Carl had something going on with his eyes several years back. How did that turn out @Prostheta?

SR

Well that being said, my wife never had 20/20 vision as a child or an adult until I had her do corrective lense implants. She had 20/300 as a child, wore glasses until her late 20s then contacts with glasses. Once that happened she realized there were leaves on trees. 10 years ago  I had here do the corrective implants and she still has 20/30 now. She did have 20/20 when we were done. She is now 73. So never say never. Scott. :)

mk

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ScottR said:

SR

I gather that it's still there, however I haven't gone looking for it or even noticed....I guess I've adapted to this new level of poorer functionality.

I just checked with an Amsler grid. Still there, left eye. It isn't in the centre of my vision so meh.

I was doing daddy day care this weekend, my 20-month-old daughter was wanting to play outside so I got her some water and washing up liquid and she was quite happy making bubbles with her little wand thing. So with her entertained, I went into the garage to do a bit of tidying up, poking my head round every few seconds. 

After 10 mins or so she got bored of bubbles, came into the garage and said guitar daddy. Then she picked up a block of wood that the dog and left by the door, picked up a scrap of sand paper I just dropped, sat on the step of the workmate and started sanding it. Worlds cutest luthier in the making.

• Like 3

Here is a new basic set neck design I made in 3D. Hopefully will be able to mill this out soon. :)

A slight arm carve and belly carve while trying to stay as "organic" as I can. Trying to keep the flow. The set neck will require some hand sanding to finalize it's transition. Let me know what you all think?

MK

basicorg1.jpg

basicorg2.jpg

basicorg3.jpg

basicorg4.jpg

basicorg5.jpg

6 hours ago, MiKro said:

Let me know what you all think?

I wonder if you could participate in the GOTM contest with just a 3D drawing!

That one looks like a comfortable workhorse.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

I wonder if you could participate in the GOTM contest with just a 3D drawing!

That one looks like a comfortable workhorse.

If I modeled all of the hardware as well, you might not know the difference. :)

Thanks for compliment Bizman.

MK

As it may have been able to guess based on some of my opinions I'm a bit of an old fashioned guy. That means I don't use a smart phone. How's that related to anything? Well... Tomorrow I'll be going for a beer or three for two days which means you all will have a nice calm weekend without my all seeing eyes lurking at every post!

Cheers!

• Haha 1

Making it more comfortable can't be a big sin.

That said having tasted several beers from 20 odd breweries in two days and chopping two wheelbarrows of firewood in direct sunlight for amends before sweating some more in the sauna my comments may not be fully relevant.

• Haha 2

As a continuation for the various ways of living in different parts of the world: It's Midsummer's Eve here - well basically it would be on the 23th but the politicians decided it to be on the nearest weekend for economical reasons quite some time ago. Anyhow, it's a paid holiday for those in a paid job. And traditionally it's the reason why there's a peak in the birth count at the end of March. Somehow the midnight sun and the bonfire make the gene pool stir so that the phenotype may affect more than the suggested genotype in the babies born in the springtime...

This year we had a lengthy heat wave before Midsummer so the bonfires were prohibited. Another reason not to sit by the fire was that right when the fires were about to be lit there was a couple of hours of thunder and rain - even more reason for the springtime baby boom...

No wonder so many Finns love the summer, as it's the time when they started to figure out their surroundings. Similarly there's those who love the darkest days of the fall as the other promiscuous holiday is on New Year's Eve.

On 6/21/2019 at 4:02 PM, Bizman62 said:

. Similarly there's those who love the darkest days of the fall as the other promiscuous holiday is on New Year's Eve.

Down here halfway to the equator from where you are, sunset is considered a promiscuous holiday.

:D

SR

sunrise too....

😁 Should you ever take a couple of weeks summer vacation above the Arctic Circle and find a luscious girl promising to meet you in her privacy at sunset, don't expect anything wild to happen during the rest of your stay.

Bottled 6G of my imperial porter, Cask of Cthulhu. 14%, bourbon barrel aged and madagascar vanilla beans. 5G more to go.

53186453-9D59-471D-9BF4-FFF98CECD8B8.jpeg

• Like 2

@ScottR said it would be an LP Jr. But there are other, even filthier scenarios. Solid neck-through white limba. But this is for another day.

529232EA-CCF1-481A-A4ED-FC0A4C19F7E7.jpeg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

😁 Should you ever take a couple of weeks summer vacation above the Arctic Circle and find a luscious girl promising to meet you in her privacy at sunset, don't expect anything wild to happen during the rest of your stay.

'twould be a rather long wait,,,,,

And talk about making promises you don't have to keep.

If only I could get her to promise to spend the night in December....

SR

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, komodo said:

@ScottR said it would be an LP Jr. But there are other, even filthier scenarios. Solid neck-through white limba. But this is for another day.

529232EA-CCF1-481A-A4ED-FC0A4C19F7E7.jpeg

That would do nicely.

SR

I don't really know where I should post this, but considering he used to post in this topic when he ran the site I feel it's appropriate enough.

Apparently Brian Calvert passed away 5/23/19 according to his Facebook page. It was days later before a post crossed my FB page and I mentioned it to Pros, but I think Pros is still unavailable at the moment.

Anyway, I kind of had a hard time believing it so I checked, double checked, and checked again... 

Here is a link to his FB page, which is still open. I don't know what hus privacy settings are though, so I don't know if the link will work if you aren't FB friends.

https://m.facebook.com/brian.calvert.315?tsid=0.6534962847510628&source=result

Edited by westhemann