Entry for June 2020's Guitar Of The Month is open - ENTER HERE!

westhemann

Misc Stuff about Life. Part XII

3 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

Oh my, a serious WOW-effect to be expected!

LOL, it is still in it's infacy so to speak many more refinements to go. Not sure of the bridge yet? May use conventional acoustic bridge with peizo pickup and a humbucker, I may also try using a hardtail style bridge with graphtech peizo saddles? Still working on the bracing and sound hole design. Like I said this has been something I have been doodling with for a long time. Even trying out some of the before mentioned as tests, in what ended in fire logs. LOL!! I am getting much closer though. :)

mk

50 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

Is the top going to be inside the recessed area? And the arm rest section in the lower bout has a wider frame?

...Yes and Yes

I was wondering what that recess was all about! Aahh now I know!

• Like 1

So I changed the sound hole to an oval shape. What do you think? I know it appears offset, It is the tilted toward the neck some?

MK

acou1_oval.jpg

acouoval2.jpg

Oh well... A young trained luthier once told me that the first thing to hide in designing a guitar is the multiple penises. Well, for some reason the downwards hanging lower bout makes me think about old age. Something blue might perk that up?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MiKro said:

So I changed the sound hole to an oval shape. What do you think? I know it appears offset, It is the tilted toward the neck some?

MK

acou1_oval.jpg

acouoval2.jpg

that looks beauty... but my first thought was "that's gonna be a cool bass".  Think that body style would work on either.  just one a-hole's 2 cents... but a little tilt in that oval hole would really tie in nice with the gentle skew of the guitar.  Really like that.  nice work.

btw... forgot to say... glad to hear you are well enough to be working on guitars. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

Oh well... A young trained luthier once told me that the first thing to hide in designing a guitar is the multiple penises. Well, for some reason the downwards hanging lower bout makes me think about old age. Something blue might perk that up?

Is the one okay? Looks hung like a coke can to me. 

These young kids see dicks everywhere. Like some kind of existential threat. Incidentally, autocorrect keeps suggesting "dongs" when I swipe "some". Goddamnit. 

• Haha 2

So here it is with cut horns? very rough idea, angles to be decided later?

mk

@Pros and Biz, Yep dicks, peni, cock whatever, old as I am who fucking cares. LOL!!!!!

cuthorn.jpg

• Confused 1

I think the original works better in terms of a neck that attaches around a high fret like an electric. The second compliments 12/15 fret neck attachment, so that the visual and actual balance play out better together. I love both within each context. Make it happen! 

10 hours ago, MiKro said:

So here it is with cut horns? very rough idea, angles to be decided later?

Nice idea, although by the sad cock I didn't mean the horns. I was looking at the lower left bout which seems to be pressed down by the arm rest. How about making that part longer, blending down to the center line? Would that add any dynamics?

image.png.883de63885b21818481aa4c6a6527cb6.png

8 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

Nice idea, although by the sad cock I didn't mean the horns. I was looking at the lower left bout which seems to be pressed down by the arm rest. How about making that part longer, blending down to the center line? Would that add any dynamics?

image.png.883de63885b21818481aa4c6a6527cb6.png

It will decrease the volume of the cavity. Which may decrease the Bass response since that is the area where most of the bass resonance comes from according to those that build acoustic guitars more than I do. LOL!!! That being said, I see where yo are going, At this point in time it is a work in progress and many changes will most likely happen before the final one is done as I plan to test versions with lesser materials until I find the correct look /sound. Thanks Bizman. :)

9 hours ago, Prostheta said:

I think the original works better in terms of a neck that attaches around a high fret like an electric. The second compliments 12/15 fret neck attachment, so that the visual and actual balance play out better together. I love both within each context. Make it happen! 

working on it Pros, still in modeling stage but I hope to start on the first prototype soon and see where it takes me. :)

mk

It's looking good to me although someone said the sound hole should be tilted and I was thinking the same thing

someone else commented that the lower bout hangs down a bit, and I agree but what if it had the dark timber wider like the top bout?

Otherwise looking very nice indeed!

well how about this? Damn you guys are picky. YOU have no idea what it takes to change the inside configuration for the bracing and such to move shit around. LOL!!!

ovalrotate.jpg

21 minutes ago, MiKro said:

well how about this? Damn you guys are picky. YOU have no idea what it takes to change the inside configuration for the bracing and such to move shit around. LOL!!!

ovalrotate.jpg

can't speak for others but to me "that's what I'm talkin' bout".  follows the back curve and ties it all in together nice.  I didn't like the neutered horns before but I gotta say they look pretty nice all cleaned up.  cudos.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

can't speak for others but to me "that's what I'm talkin' bout".  follows the back curve and ties it all in together nice.  I didn't like the neutered horns before but I gotta say they look pretty nice all cleaned up.  cudos.

Thanks Mike,

I look for others thoughts, It still is not to my liking yet. Getting there though. I am thinking for the prototype not to worry about the arm carve. LOL!! Just not sure how the oval soundhole will work as well as it being slanted? Acoustics are funny beast. I've built enough standard stuff to recognize that. Still have to play with bridges. :) I think I have a solution for using a hardtail style Strat bridge. Wink! Wink! . Sort of like when I used a TOM for a biscuit bridge reso. I was told it would not work? Well they were wrong. LOL!!!!

MK

pic shows with a standard sound hole?

acou5a.jpg

• Like 1

I took the preamp controls out of my Washburn to create a player's sound hole. Slotting the side might have benefits, likely more on a full acoustic than a semi though. 

"Semi"

The cut horns look nice and less like copied from a strat.

Narrowing the arm rest section to a uniform binding looks more balanced. For ergonomics, I've heard good guitarists say that the slanted bottom helps as much as the bevel in Strats so no issues in playability either.

Re the sound hole... The slanted oval looks dynamic and follows the overall direction. If you choose that, getting the angle right is crucial for the visual balance. Should the angle remain the same at each spot (red) or follow a fan with the connecting point somewhere way outside the guitar (blue)? As the bottom and the horns already follow a fan and looks good that way I'd vote for the latter, yet a round hole would eliminate any issues of getting the angle of the sound hole right...

image.png.785ebaa6c2ccef79e8e4c17c70aaab28.png

Edited by Bizman62
Blue
  • Like 1

The design would easily compliment a compound scale with the slant at the front going with the changes in angle, and the rear serving as a direct contrast to the angle at the bridge. Similar with/against ideas exist, and I've seen Perry doing this more than once in different areas. My favourite in that respect is the angle of the end of the fingerboard (and corresponding pickup) angled contrary to the prevailing angle of the last frets.

Whatever the end product, I agree that having a defined and absorbable language within a piece makes a huge difference whether consciously recognised or not.

• Like 1