Entry for August 2020's Guitar Of The Month is open - ENTER HERE!

westhemann

Misc Stuff about Life. Part XII

I take it that you're in denial on some level, or seeking it? I'd be very careful of tricking yourself too hard Mike, because this is no hoax and when it bites it won't be distracted by a YouTube video or a tweet.

I really dislike this conversation anyway. It's divisive and I don't want this gutter level conspiracy nonsense on this site. I rarely put my foot down about anything, especially in the Misc Stuff thread. If you feel that passionately about this, by all means make a placard for your yard. Beyond that, this is not the place for cloud-yelling.

I'd say please, but you know I'm past this point. No joke.

1 hour ago, Prostheta said:

I take it that you're in denial on some level, or seeking it? I'd be very careful of tricking yourself too hard Mike, because this is no hoax and when it bites it won't be distracted by a YouTube video or a tweet.

I really dislike this conversation anyway. It's divisive and I don't want this gutter level conspiracy nonsense on this site. I rarely put my foot down about anything, especially in the Misc Stuff thread. If you feel that passionately about this, by all means make a placard for your yard. Beyond that, this is not the place for cloud-yelling.

I'd say please, but you know I'm past this point. No joke.

Thank you Carl,  I will respect your wishes.

I never said it was a hoax, just that it is being miss represented to us for possible political gains. I take the threat very seriously, the virus is real and it is bad.

Later,

MK.

So on to other things.

I quit smoking cigarettes 12 weeks ago, I continued smoking my pipe though until Tuesday night when I ran out of tobacco.

Day 2 (today) is a strong urge to buy more tobacco. LOL!!

No, I am not going to the store, the next week or so will be hell, but I am determined to quit after 50+ years of smoking.

MK

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, MiKro said:

So on to other things.

I quit smoking cigarettes 12 weeks ago, I continued smoking my pipe though until Tuesday night when I ran out of tobacco.

No, I am not going to the store, the next week or so will be hell, but I am determined to quit after 50+ years of smoking.

MK

Good call, and good luck!

I've had and have my share of bad habits. but thankfully smoking was never one of them.

SR

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MiKro said:

So on to other things.

MK

Whatever you do, don't be tempted to start vaping. I went from smoking no more than 5-6 rollups/day to chain vaping, my reliance on nicotine is much worse than it ever was, 

In other news, I went to the pub this evening for the first time in about 4 months. God I've missed the pub.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ADFinlayson said:

Whatever you do, don't be tempted to start vaping. I went from smoking no more than 5-6 rollups/day to chain vaping, my reliance on nicotine is much worse than it ever was, 

In other news, I went to the pub this evening for the first time in about 4 months. God I've missed the pub.

No worries there I am allergic to vaping.  It has something to do with the ni- chrome wire and my reactions to nickel. LOL!!

13 hours ago, MiKro said:

I am determined to quit after 50+ years of smoking

It can be done. I've never smoked but my dad started at the age of 8 and quit cold turkey at his mom's funeral 57 years later in late 2001.

I know several others with a 20 years smoking history, having quit without any nic substitutes and been that way for another 20 years and continuing. My wife is one of them, she paused during the pregnancies and quit when the kids were so small they can't remember her ever having smoked. She still says that sometimes cigarette smoke just smells so good.

Being determined is all it takes, at least judging by the cases I know.

• Like 1

I quit September 10th 2001. I thought that quitting was giving me some sort of hallucinatory experience. The worst of it was going to the pub and wondering why my hands felt anxious and underutilised.

• Like 2

As a child I was impressed by the "Magnificent Seven" ads by Yul Brynner promoting Malboro and consequently took up smoking at age around 14. There was no law against it then. Children could go down the shops to get ciggies for their parents but at some time they brought in this "over 18" law

It took me a long time to give up completely. I would give up for a few weeks then start again but next time it would be a few months before I'd start again. The last time I had a smoke would have been 2004

• Like 2

Years later Yul Brinner appeared on TV to help promote the Quit campaign (or whatever it was called) and he said "whatever you do in life, don't smoke, just don't smoke" He had the most serious look on his face and was looking straight at you, I always think TV is full of half-truths and smoke & mirrors, but on that occasion it struck me that it was the absolute truth. And it helped me be determined to give up

• Like 1

can't drink, can't eat anything good... the only thing I have left is coffee and cigarettes... well coffee and vape anyway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Crusader said:

Well I'm heading for another 3am bedtime!

That has been my life for the last few months - Body clock completely shot. 

• Like 1

Hang in there guys, just two more weeks! 

Here's something that's been bugging me as a man who loves stats and numbers. Croatia brought in mandatory masks for shops etc. since monday. Today they are already proudly boasting how the measures are working, we see a drop in daily new cases. How is that possible, with a virus that has a 2+ weeks incubation period. The new cases from today are people who caught it before masks were mandatory. I mean, the folks running the show here aren't the smartest, but I've seen such reports from more developed countries as well... that's one thing that bugged me and had to get it off my chest. I'm not against masks, but I'm against misinterpreting numbers to push a narrative, that's all. 

I need to order some wood, plans for the next 2 builds are pretty much done, can't wait to start building so I have less time to read the news :D 

Edited by Gogzs

Let's try not to veer too deeply into speculation. In general people need to be told a certain aspect of the narrative in order to keep things from becoming a panic. Much the same as the WHO tread incorrectly by downplaying the issues of aerosol spread as it easily starts a panic. On some level people need to be re-assured that things are working, but only when that's the truth. We rely on expert information for guidance in things we aren't experts in. When those people are replaced by propagandists or trust in experts is eroded by politicians or the waters are muddied, then we have problems.

• Like 1

if anyone wants tips on how to crack a tooth good... just sayin... I'm sort of an expert

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

So this Burger King commercial just passed by on my screen on the TV. I had to take a Screenshot of it. WTF?

cowfarts1 - Copy.jpg

• Like 1

Yep. It's a thing. Hopefully next somebody could deal with Citrus Hitler's constant emissions that are affecting climate change and other harms. Maybe change his diet, or give him one?

7 hours ago, mistermikev said:

if anyone wants tips on how to crack a tooth good... just sayin... I'm sort of an expert

Uhhh, what's holding it in actually? Looks like it completely broke off... here's how they fixed my leg last year, had a little crack as well, maybe you guys can use it as a guide on how to secure your tooth in place :D

0IZtFNj.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MiKro said:

So this Burger King commercial just passed by on my screen on the TV. I had to take a Screenshot of it. WTF?

Change their diet, huh? I just wonder what the previous diet was, mainly if they were fed with soy beans instead of wandering along the prairie eating whatever grass is at its best.

If I ate beans every day my methane releases would rise tremendously!

4 hours ago, Gogzs said:

Uhhh, what's holding it in actually? Looks like it completely broke off... here's how they fixed my leg last year, had a little crack as well, maybe you guys can use it as a guide on how to secure your tooth in place :D

0IZtFNj.jpg

Our son came off a hired electric scooter in Gdansk last year. Pretty much the same result! How'd you manage that?

IMG-20191205-WA0005.jpgIMG-20191205-WA0007.jpgIMG-20191205-WA0008.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gogzs said:

0IZtFNj.jpg

you know, I've been wondering that myself.  you can see the original tooth is broken off far above the gum line... and of course the docs like "lemme wiggle it" and I'm like "now we fight to the death".  going to an oral surgeon today at 9am.  Nervous, but focused on how I'll feel after.  my gawd,  that's a lotta screws!  must have been horrible!