Entry for November 2018's Guitar Of The Month is now open!
ENTER HERE!

westhemann

Misc Stuff about Life. Part XII

Okay, so it looks like I'm going to be getting back on the wagon again workwise however we're going to be up in the air until we relocate in Turku. I hope that wherever we move we can find a place that has space for another workshop otherwise I'm going to be screwed.

I might have to live five days there during working weeks in a hotel or cheap room for rent, and get weekends at home. That's going to suck balls.

Looks like a beautiful city. Hope you find a great place. Around here the fringes of the city are always better than the city itself, but from the pics Turku seems like it might be nice everywhere.

19 hours ago, westhemann said:

Beautiful  Texas day.

15347896132914543647828739386866.jpg

so-maybe I am seeing this wrong- but since you were talking about them- is that a porta potty like 8 feet from the train tracks?

7 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Okay, so it looks like I'm going to be getting back on the wagon again workwise however we're going to be up in the air until we relocate in Turku. I hope that wherever we move we can find a place that has space for another workshop otherwise I'm going to be screwed.

I might have to live five days there during working weeks in a hotel or cheap room for rent, and get weekends at home. That's going to suck balls.

hope everything works out Pros

59 minutes ago, westhemann said:

Looks like a beautiful city. Hope you find a great place. Around here the fringes of the city are always better than the city itself, but from the pics Turku seems like it might be nice everywhere.

It's one of the two places we've been thinking of moving towards Wes. Either Tampere or Turku. The place I'm hoping to get a foot in the door with is in Raisio, just on the outskirts of Turku. It's the right place.

22 minutes ago, Mr Natural said:

so-maybe I am seeing this wrong- but since you were talking about them- is that a porta potty like 8 feet from the train tracks?

Or something mockingly like one?

21 minutes ago, Mr Natural said:

hope everything works out Pros

Me too man. I think this is the step in the right direction, especially financially.

I just took all my measurements, compared them to the National average, and found that my measurements are all average for a white man ages 18-25... though I am 4" taller than average.

I'll be petitioning DPS to reflect the proper age on my driver's license.

• Haha 1

Good luck with the new Job Carl as well as the move. I hope it all works out for you and family.

So here's the new body in a very rough stage of rendering, still a lot to do before it's final.

I am thinking of trimming the horns down some. Also will add a belly carve and more access to the lower bout.

newbody.jpg

Thanks Mike. I think it just needs effort and willingness rather than luck. The people I've been in contact with are spot on, and similarly minded. I hate to pre-empt, but I think I'm landing on my feet. If not, I'll just have to keep chipping away, or deep depression. One of the two.

• Like 1

Got a new tablet computer. It doesn't feel as comfy as my old one, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

• Like 1

Okay, interview went well. I was taken onboard on the spot. Depending on how quickly we can transition to Turku, I'm going to be without a workshop for some months. No idea how I'm going to cope with that.

That and I might have immediate site work in Norway to install over 2000m² of Teak flooring. If it all goes to plan, we might be able to get together the deposit on a house on the income we might hit. Phew.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, westhemann said:

Life favors the strong. 

and when we get old and weaker it shits on you.

• Haha 1

Yup. That's why people used to teach kids to respect their elders. Niw I'm not sure what kids are taught.

• Haha 1

That apparently, "life is fair". No it isn't. Being aware of intrinsic inequalities allows people to develop better empathic skills, courage and balanced viewpoint. You're not all winners and neither are they, plus comparatives ("better/worse than") or superlatives ("winner/loser") set up a huge "us and them" complex. In my view.

• Like 1

Anniversary today, 26 years (+7 unofficial) with a lovely thing that changed me for the better. Gave me two strapping young lads as well.

• Like 1

I miss Strapping Young Lad. Congratulations on 26yrs! That's a few years longer than I've even known my wife. Our boy was 23yrs old last week and just started a university degree in physiotherapy a couple of days back. Crazy.

Got my start date today; 3rd Sept. I'll be lodging in the house of a guy who works fitting out the cruise ships, oddly enough a client of the company I start work with. 1st October our rental property is free to move into. Nina's staying here in Pori whilst I sort out our home and she finds work in Turku. We managed to get a really sweet affordable place in a lovely part of the outskirts between Turku and where I work in Raisio. I can't see me having a workshop for a good while, especially since money will be ridiculously-tight as we get established.

• Like 1

That is 100% smoke on a cloudless, summer day. Before and after pics. I watched it roll in from very high up and then fall over everything. 

D587D3B7-D873-41E2-9072-7978775A0B3F.jpeg

7DEA16C1-83CD-4218-87AB-DAD1A5AF809C.jpeg

Yeah, it's going to be a couple of months of disarray with a bit of risk associated but very much that; moving forward. You've got to lift your feet off the ground if you're going to get moving.

Yikes, that's a lot of smoke coming up from Cali. Just checked the interactive maps and it seems there are fire hotspots just outside of Eugene and Salem, but wow....Cali is burning up man. Aren't you in Tacoma or further north than that...?!

Texas lawn in the summer. I mean yeah, we could water our lawns... but then we wouldn't have drinking water.

20180902_160214.jpg

Wow, week one in my new workplace in the bag guys. Obviously I'm still not 100% up to speed or found my place yet (60+ staff) but it's definitely my thing. The shop has two huge (around 16' x 8'?) 2,5D toolchanging CNCs, industrial-sized dual oscillating drum sanders, multiple sliding table saws, huge bandsaws, etc. Been spending most of the week finishing up some huge Teak elements on metal framework that are off to shipyards in Germany (some went yesterday). Hot tubs, spas, decking, etc. This is where it's at.

The downside is that our move to Turku means that I won't be able to set up a guitar workshop for several months, at our own home or otherwise. I'm unsure how much of my own work I can expect to do at my workplace, especially given I've just started of course.

Who knows? I might have to rent a small industrial unit or similar property to set up a workshop. I mean, that has been the intention for ProjectGuitar.com anyway for the last two or so years. Something more equipped, capable and spacious. I'm just going to have to figure it out as we get a feel for how our feet are planted.

Sounds like you're off to a good start and have a bunch of cool toys to play while you get your feet on the ground.

SR