Entry for November 2018's Guitar Of The Month is now open!
ENTER HERE!

westhemann

Misc Stuff about Life. Part XII

excellent news on the job Carl- I have always said-my worse day employed is 1000% better than my best day unemployed. I went a year and a half unemployed, had just married a couple months prior to losing my job and having major back surgery and it about killed me financially. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't say toys. It's a busy production shop, so they're real working machines rather than idle toys! Still, I'd love to do a bit of work here and there....

4 hours ago, Mr Natural said:

excellent news on the job Carl- I have always said-my worse day employed is 1000% better than my best day unemployed. I went a year and a half unemployed, had just married a couple months prior to losing my job and having major back surgery and it about killed me financially. 

If it weren't for 400 days of union support at 70% of your average wage over six months, that might be the same here also. If you're capable of keeping your living to 70% of your income you can always manage somehow. Still, I always prefer to be moving forwards so I agree even if it isn't on a financial level! I just need to be bettering myself, being challenged and having a part to play in the game.

I got an email from Home Depot and the tagline said " The Pros trust Home Depot. "

For just a second I thought  "When did Prostheta become a spokesman for Home Depot?"

Not my most brilliant leap of logic.

• Haha 1

I'd be jealous,  but I have so many 20" wide and better slabs of sapele I can't bring myself to be.

Not to mention the 8" wide by 4" thick flatsawn hard maple.

I'm hoping to some day get my house finished, set aside a work space, and build some Explorers and Vs. I may die of old age before I get through it all.

Then there's the Elm I cut up.

Yeah.  Well,  it's more monetary prioritizing.  The house is the most important thing on my list because it will result in a lower tax burden, so everything I have goes towards that. Since I changed to a much less lucrative line of work that isn't much.

A smart guy would have stayed at that job until I fixed the house, but then I'd never find the time.

I either have time or money. Rarely both.

I screwed something up in my right hand today. Lifting something up to tip it over on the work bench, palms up using fingers and shooting pain in my fingers to my wrist. Can't fully close my right hand, mainly my little and third finger feel swollen. Tendon maybe?

That's a weird one. I strain my forearms sometimes, which creates a burning sensation through my wrist and up my arm. Usually goes away in a few hours.

Sometimes hand cramps. Generally don't strain anything in my palms.

If I was doing something like you describe(holding something up with my fingers palm up) the strain would be in my forearms. I think my forearms aren't as strong as my hands. Maybe you're the opposite? Possibly just strained your hand?

I think so. I feel it across my fingers and up through what I reckon are my tendons. Stiff hand, movement feels reduced like it's swollen but visibly it isn't. I'm not too worried. It's still attached the right way around. 

Been down for a while, My PC died, had to build a new one.

I went to the Neurosurgeon yesterday. This is the one that has had me going to an infectious disease doctor for 4 months since I have had MSRA staph before and he did not want any complications when time to do surgery.  Now the bastard comes up with I must lose 30lbs in 3 months, quit smoking for 3 months minimum, go to Physical therapy for at least 3 months and have steroid injections to my spine for total time 16 weeks. ( 2 injections) Then after doing all of that he MIGHT do surgery on me. WTF?  This Asshole should have told me this shit from the fucking start. I have wasted 4 to 5 months waiting to get this done doing what he asked me to do, I am deteriorating at a fast rate and now this fucker wants me to do this? Needless to say, I am fucking pissed off and looking for a new Doctor. I hope that shithead burns in hell.

Oh and how the hell does anyone lose 30lbs in 3 months? Even a person in great shape would have problems doing that.

RANT Over!!!!

MK

Well, the weight thing certainly isn't going to happen if you quit smoking. That would be the first thing anyway I think. Swap out the smoking for something else. I quit on the spot using my infinite well of laziness rather than opting for the stupid method of using conscious effort. Having to "keep trying not to smoke" is for people who have too much time on their hands. I however decided to not bother smoking. Screw that. I can't be bothered to buy them or bum off a friend you know? Banning smoking in bars made a huge difference to making it easier, however I did have to break that mental connection of "a pint in one hand, a cigarette in the other". I had to re-learn how to drink all over again. Seriously, they don't tell you any of that.

Haven't really been at a keyboard to do very much the last week. We're packing the house up ready for our move to Turku on the 6-7th October. Most things are boxed up, can't seem to make much headway on the workshop because I need to protect the fragiles, remember where the importants are and generally feel like I'm not saying goodbye to my guitar building stuff....not sure how long I'll be without a workshop at home, however I found out that I can use almost anything at my workplace for my own projects plus I might be able to get ahold of stock overages on a deal. I've seen a huge slab of Mahogany which I think would suit a nice Firebird or maybe an Aria Pro II style PE Les Paul....

• Like 1

Oh thanks Carl, Also he wants me to stop all alcohol intake. LOL!!!

I understand what you are saying, If I quit smoking I would have to stop drinking for a while since I love a good smoke and a Scotch. LMAO!!!!

Drop the smoking. IMO it makes whisky far deeper with more to explore. I regained my senses of taste and smell pretty quickly.

30 pounds in three months is insane. Especially at your age. Yeah, I think a new doctor is in order because it sounds like he just doesn't want to do it.

• Like 1

So today I learned that for some really goofy reason my Dodge dually takes ATF4 instead of power steering fluid... And apparently everyone but me just knows this?

Why in the hell would Dodge do this to me? Now I have to drain and refill.

• Confused 1

Replaced my power steering line today. That was way easier than I expected. Went through my owner's manual and turns out the guy at I' Reilly was full of shit.

Some Dodge vehicles do actually call for ATF4 in the power steering, but mine specifically says power steering fluid and also specifically says "do not use automatic transmission fluid".

So no drain and refill. Apparently the backwoods hick contingent in Elgin believes it's all the same, but ATF4 is cheaper and easier to buy in quantity.

• Haha 1

i just took a short walk thru my back yard with no shoes on. I forget how much I love the feel of grass on my toes.

its the little things people...................