so... check out my wood...

DSCF2913.thumb.JPG.0cece2d02c6dd3fe852646f60da03295.JPGDSCF2914.thumb.JPG.cdc3c636c02830302875c5b00a2ffecd.JPG

this week I went to a new source that - as it turns out - is right down the block from my work.  It is really a commercial place so I was hesitant... anywho I called and got a price and it was better than I'd heard of so... picked up some new 8/4 x 13.5+ x 11'.   at $4.13/bf I paid 110.  Should be enough to do 7 1 piece bodies or perhaps 8 depending on what I build.  That's $15.86 per body.  as I tap on it with my knuckle it goes 'pooooong'.  better than my recent walnut.  it is ruff so it's 2" actual.  a little cup but not bad.

I'm not going to tell you the type yet cause I bet you guys will enjoy telling me what it is... what say you?  what type of wood is this? 

I can't believe you guessed it so fast.  made from the finest tonewoods - crushed up and glued together.

seriously tho... as I was just spray painting the ends I noticed the bottom piece has some very nice ribbon on half. 

also this shop has some amazing 1" bubinga with light figuring 18 or so inches wide.  Not sure I want 6 bubinga-top guitars but... I'm gonna ask for a price anyway!

21 hours ago, mistermikev said:

did anyone guess: western quilted figured flamed spalted ribbon fiddleback birdseye tiger burl?

Man I better look in my stash, I think I have some of that!! :)

Edited to add:
Well here is one I still have, I know I have one that is even better, as it has spalt and birdseyes as well. :) I have had this billet for about 12 years now ( picture taken in 2006)

puddingmaple.JPG

• Like 1

nope...............................................doesn't qualify..................................................................................i can tell by the grain patern...............................................................it's not western.

seriously tho... that is some beautiful and interesting stuff

Edited by mistermikev

24 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

nope...............................................doesn't qualify..................................................................................i can tell by the grain patern...............................................................it's not western.

seriously tho... that is some beautiful and interesting stuff

Beg to differ with you it is Big leaf western maple. I know where I bought it from. It was green fresh cut straight from the mill in Oregon. I was there. :)

57 minutes ago, MiKro said:

Beg to differ with you it is Big leaf western maple. I know where I bought it from. It was green fresh cut straight from the mill in Oregon. I was there. :)

that my friend... was a bit of humor.  the funny part being that of all the different figure types I could choose to contest I would choose to contest the 'western' part.  Not nearly as funny now that I say it out loud... but I assure you - in my head - it was comedy gold.

looking at it again, I see some flame but not really fiddleback so...

Edited by mistermikev
  • Haha 1

Yep no fiddleback. LMAO!!! also needs more burl and birdseyes. :) I really do have another one that I know has spalt, more burl, still no fiddleback. :) Both have not seen the light of day in at least 8 years.

MK

here is some serious birdseye with quilt. and a nice billet of Western Flamed. Not quite fiddleback.. :)

be2.jpg

curlywes.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mistermikev said:

wow, you've got a collection to aspire to.  v nice.

Thank you.

That is just a small sample. I have a wood shed full of figured woods ranging from maples, mahoganies, ebonies, bocote, walnut, alder, cherry, lacewood, snakewood, rosewoods, eucalyptus, EIR, hell I am not even sure what all is in there anymore? Been collecting figured wood for over 20 years. I used to have some beautiful cocobolo, I became super allergic to it and had to rid myself of it.

The picture below is a piece of curly purple heart I sent it to Perry Ormsby many years ago for this Bass guitar he was building for a customer.

ph1.jpg