"Delta Cloud' - all done!

Right on brutha - wish I could take credit for it but I stole the idea from some thread I was reading - no doubt someone on this site. 

I had to take off quite a bit from this stock as it was the end piece and was a bit cupped so figured I'd try this method.  What I learned is that I should have stuck w the dewalt saw for both pieces.  that thing is razor thin and cuts amazing.  best part is the grain should be a 90% match.

so did binding this weekend... went pretty good all things considered.  I taped/dry-fitted and bent the binding first... using a hair dryer (heat gun is just too much for binding I think).  Then I used ca glue to go around the body again and pry-apart/glue/re-tape.

DSCN1552.thumb.JPG.7399fe5aa5afcda0a86d730a2f0db32e.JPG

and a closeup...

DSCN1554.thumb.JPG.5564992b5890c2cd022ba19c02509f42.JPG

started carving down my neck too... I still haven't round a good bandsaw so I used a jig saw.  This meant a lot of excess to remove... so I just used a straight edge and multiple passes to prevent blowout.  DSCN1557.thumb.JPG.9f84b9590bd610a2cef3f7f095ed0318.JPG

one step closer!DSCN1559.thumb.JPG.9c157be14f50c8af30fa1c72cb667abb.JPG

For gluing thin, flat surfaces, I use slabs of granite.  I sourced mine (for free) from a local countertop jobber and got a couple of the waste pieces that come out from the sink hole.  You can cut it using a diamond blade on a circular saw, just go slow and take shallow cuts.  You end up with perfectly flat surfaces and can stack weights on top for additional pressure.

Loving the build so far!

8 hours ago, Guitar Goomba said:

For gluing thin, flat surfaces, I use slabs of granite.  I sourced mine (for free) from a local countertop jobber and got a couple of the waste pieces that come out from the sink hole.  You can cut it using a diamond blade on a circular saw, just go slow and take shallow cuts.  You end up with perfectly flat surfaces and can stack weights on top for additional pressure.

Loving the build so far!

thank you!

23 minutes ago, ScottR said:

You are doing a really nice job on this, are you sure it is only your second build? It's got some aggressive design features too.

Very impressive stuff!

SR

you are too kind.  That is a real compliment from someone I respect as much as you given your outstanding builds so I'll try not to let it go to my head!

on that note... I did the neck binding w/o checking depth on my fret slots.  I've only done minor sanding so I should be ok... but add that to the list of learning experiences!  oh well... I have enough binding left that if I need to pull it and redo it I can so... we'll see.

Thank you as always for your support and encouragement.

Learning experiences are to be cherished....even when they result in more wood for the bonfire.:D

You appear to be very detail oriented. You may be cheating yourself out of some of the learning experiences the rest of us have endured by thinking things through carefully first.:)

Cheers!

SR

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ScottR said:

Learning experiences are to be cherished....even when they result in more wood for the bonfire.:D

You appear to be very detail oriented. You may be cheating yourself out of some of the learning experiences the rest of us have endured by thinking things through carefully first.:)

Cheers!

SR

hehe - well I hope this doesn't end on the bonfire!  I figure as long as it plays and sounds good... the rest I can live with.

I have been known to OOOOOOOOOver analyze things... that's just who I am.  The actual work for this build probably could have been done much faster but i always opt to 'think about it' for another day to ensure I'm seeing it right in my head... still end up doing stupid things like putting the binding on before checking the depth.  Anywho, thank you for the encouragement!

• 2 weeks later...

thank you skyjerk.  kind of the first thing that came to mind... a slide guitar (delta blues) and it's got cloud motif.  I can use the good mojo tho - thanks for that!

never forget my highschool-band-drummer... he did skydiving a few times... broke his leg... looking at the back of his car you could see his skydiving enthusiast sticker and behind that a set of crutches - cracked me up.

full disclosure: I'm afraid of that feeling you get on a roller coaster!

1 hour ago, mistermikev said:

full disclosure: I'm afraid of that feeling you get on a roller coaster!

Skydiving doesn't feel like that. Not even a little. That stomach sinking, "falling" sensation you get on roller coasters is caused by changing directions and acceleration simultaneously. Cresting a hill, you (and your "innards") are going up and you are decelerating, drop off the other side and you're going down and accelerating propelled by the car you are held into. Your innards want to keep going up because of inertia. The car and gravity want your innards to go down. Its the struggle between the opposing forces that cause those sensations

In skydiving theres no abrupt change of direction or acceleration. When you exit the aircraft youre already going 90-100 MPH forward, You then transition to downward movement in an arc (we call this arc "the hill") as your forward motion gradually becomes downward. You only accelerate by about 10-20 MPH more and thats over the space of about 10 seconds pulled only by gravity. You dont even notice that. try accelerating in your car to 20 MPH over 10 seconds and tell me if you feel anything. I'll bet not :)

I have gotten that feeling slightly when jumping from a hot air balloon and a helicopter, but this is because you are essentially motionless at the start. You go from 0 - 120 MPH in 8 or 9 seconds, but even then its in one direction and only accelerating at the speed gravity pulls you (9.7536 m / s2) so that feeling is barely noticeable. You tend to be more focused on other things at the time :)

Anyhoo, its a pretty safe sport if you practice it safely. Ive been doing it 29 years. Tore a muscle in my leg once, but healed up in a few weeks. Tore my right rotator cuff (minor) only 2 weeks ago from what amounts to the least graceful landing I've ever had. It'll heal. So two minor injuries in 29 years. Not a bad safety record :)

• Like 1

I believe you... but I've had my first heart attack and would like to avoid another so......... NOPE!  hehe.  plus then someone is going to release a video of me screaming like a little girl... and I'm not sure my ego can survive that!;) 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

just a sneak peak as I work through the frustration of trying to do a gloss w tru oil.  At this point I get a real nice gloss but I can see the 'swirls' left from the cotton piece I used to apply the oil.  I have thinned the oil a bit with min spirits as it is a bit thick.  I wonder if I need to go thinner or if perhaps they will buff out and/or be visible in additional coats.  all advice welcome.

DSCN1753.JPG.7aefab70bc8bf5a28cf0b46f70bdd8d8.JPG

• Like 1

That top came out very nice! Looks like just off the beach in the Bahamas.

Tru-oil can be leveled and buffed just like nitro.Just be sure to get enough on to not cut through when leveling. I actually airbrushed somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 coats on my last tru-oil project. Also know that it keeps shrinking (read sinking) for several months.

SR

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ScottR said:

That top came out very nice! Looks like just off the beach in the Bahamas.

Tru-oil can be leveled and buffed just like nitro.Just be sure to get enough on to not cut through when leveling. I actually airbrushed somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 coats on my last tru-oil project. Also know that it keeps shrinking (read sinking) for several months.

SR

thank you sir... you da best!  I was really having some self doubt there about sanding back down and re-apply!  I will be patient and keep applying 2 x a day and some 1000 grit sanding in between until I get it built up.

Thank you on the finish.  I decided not to do a fade to blue as I didn't like the idea of mirroring that on my truss rod cover.  I'm very pleased with the 'surfy' vibe.

thank you mr nat - will channel miyagi while I work on it (wax on wax off)!  I think I will build up and then try the 'wipe off after' as I approach the final coats.

My last attempt I got a nice finish but there were faint white edge spots in it... I had sanded back using 600-800-1000-1500-2000-3000 and perhaps sanded through or didn't sand out the earlier grits.  Hope to improve on this one.

the first time I used tru oil years ago I glopped on a ton each coat- and I got a bunch of white spots in it- my assumption from what others told me was I was trapping moisture inbetween layers (it was late summer- ie swamp air here in georgia)-sort of like laquer trapping moisture- I was advised to use very very thin layers-ie- almost wiping off the layer that was just wiped on- and building it up that way. 

There was  guy on here many moons ago that did lap steels that were awesome- and i think he said he once did something like 50+ coats but after buffing it was "barely there". i might have my source wrong but I think it was him. And of course ScottR and his spray flow like glass technique. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Mr Natural said:

the first time I used tru oil years ago I glopped on a ton each coat- and I got a bunch of white spots in it- my assumption from what others told me was I was trapping moisture inbetween layers (it was late summer- ie swamp air here in georgia)-sort of like laquer trapping moisture- I was advised to use very very thin layers-ie- almost wiping off the layer that was just wiped on- and building it up that way. 

There was  guy on here many moons ago that did lap steels that were awesome- and i think he said he once did something like 50+ coats but after buffing it was "barely there". i might have my source wrong but I think it was him. And of course ScottR and his spray flow like glass technique. 

good info... I did try to pile it on on that build.   Also I buffed w an auto buffer and heavy compound.  This time I'll go light and hand buff. 

I was looking on here recently regarding to... saw a lapsteel that was amazballs... I'm guessing that was the sm guy (there can't be two right??!).

I may have to snag some spray-can to try that out.